TiVos for HD OTA in Canada - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 1360 (permalink) Old 2007-01-23, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Lightbulb TiVos for HD OTA in Canada

Quote:
all of these DVD recorders seem to record in either EDTV or SDTV but not HDTV
To record HDTV you're not going to get much on a single layer DVD (cheapest media). If you're going to use DL you might as well get a BDU subscription, because at current prices if you record a few one hour shows per week, you could almost get a HD PVR from a BDU.

I'm hoping (fingers crossed behind back) that someone will come out with a HDTV PVR with an ATSC tuner - other than the Tivo 3 (which stampeder I think you forgot to mention in the list above). At least one DHCer (Dajad) is using a Tivo 3 as his ATSC tuner/PVR. Unfortunately, and I'm really not trying to troll here, the Tivo 3 IMHO is overpriced for Canadians as we cannot (legally) take advantage of all the functionality the Tivo3 offers. Still a great STB /PVR for those who can afford it.

cheers,
99gecko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1360 (permalink) Old 2007-01-23, 01:11 PM

99gecko,

I am looking for a HD PVR too. I am not "trolling" either, but I have to say that the reason I am setting up OTA is that I don't want to be at the mercy of some provider for the rest of my life.

That said, I don't know of anyone other than Tivo that has a product on the market. I was hoping that as a stopgap I could use a DVD recorder with rewritable media to record an hour or two at a time. I know that I timeshifted almost everything I watched when I had satelite. I don't think that will change with HD broadcasts.

Any other options I should consider?
post #3 of 1360 (permalink) Old 2007-01-24, 01:28 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gecko
we cannot (legally) take advantage of all the functionality the Tivo3 offers
Although TiVo doesn't sell their PVRs in Canada, they now will sell subscriptions to Canadians. See
Is the TiVo service available in Canada?
. I read somewhere that they don't have the Canadian DT schedules yet (only the analog schedules) and they don't use the broadcast program guide, but that information may be out of date.

Regardless, it is still very expensive so I am with you and wish more affordable options were available.
post #4 of 1360 (permalink) Old 2007-01-24, 03:18 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Here's the Tivo In Canada thread at DHC:

Tivo in Canada Discussion
post #5 of 1360 (permalink) Old 2007-07-31, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

As mentioned in the Tivo In Canada Discussion thread, the new (July 2007) Tivo HD is OTA capable.

See dajad's post# 273, and my post #288, which link to reviews and pricing info.
post #6 of 1360 (permalink) Old 2007-12-07, 03:29 PM

Tivo is here

You can purchase a Tivo unit now from London Drugs $199 plus subscription $12/month.
post #7 of 1360 (permalink) Old 2008-07-11, 10:02 PM

The TIVO HD models should be able to record OTA transmissions and retain HD quality. Not sure how available they are in Canada though :S
post #8 of 1360 (permalink) Old 2008-07-12, 08:44 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

You can read all about Tivo in Canada in this thread:

TiVo Available in Canada
post #9 of 1360 (permalink) Old 2008-11-10, 11:32 AM

TiVo OTA atsc decoder ?

Hey all Just a quick question about Tivo boxes. I'm new here and just got my CH4228 up this weekend. My High Def TV does not have a built in decodor and from what I've read on this site I've decided to go with a Tivo box. I want to order the TiVo TCD652160 HD Digital Video Recorder from amazon and have my Dad bring it up from the US at CHristmas, but I noticed most posters refering to the Tivo series 3 as what there using. The series three is much more expensive $550.00 compared to the Tivo HD Dvr that I want to order. The Tivo website says it does antenna digital and High Def. But as I didn't find anyone here using it I got nervous. If someone here knows that this unit is capable of decoding atsc and storing HD OTA I'd be greatfull.
post #10 of 1360 (permalink) Old 2008-11-10, 12:32 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Hi Chudsmith, here's a thread dedicated to Tivos in Canada, so I'd bet your questions would be answered better in it:

TiVo Available in Canada

cheers

Last edited by stampeder; 2008-11-10 at 01:10 PM. Reason: update - link only refers to SD Tivos for cable or satellite - see Wayne's reply next
post #11 of 1360 (permalink) Old 2008-11-10, 01:05 PM
Veteran

That thread is almost exclusively about the SD TiVos that use guide data supplied by TiVo for cable or satellite - the situation for using TiVos for HD OTA is much different.

Chudsmith-I believe that the model that you are looking at should work as it says that it supports antennas - the issue remains that the providers of guide data, which I believe is Zap2it, refuse to believe that Canada has OTA digital. This is a problem in PC based PVRs as well.

The solution seems to be to tell the TiVo that you live in Youngstown, NY - Dale Dietrich has more info on his blog here http://daledietrich.com/imedia/using...s-3-in-canada/

It is hard to believe that TiVo is charging a $300 premium between the HD DVR and the HD XL DVR. The difference is THX certification, a bigger hard drive and a better remote. You could buy the cheaper one and expand the hard drive capacity pretty cheaply but I am getting OT now!
post #12 of 1360 (permalink) Old 2008-11-10, 01:09 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

TiVos for HD OTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
the situation for using TiVos for HD OTA is much different
Okay thanks for that clarification, Wayne - we need to discuss TiVos for HD OTA here then.
post #13 of 1360 (permalink) Old 2008-11-10, 01:09 PM

Wayne, I am not disagreeing with you about Zap2It at CDN OTA, but the workaround is simple.

All you have to do is put in 14072 as your US Zip code and voila! All OTA guide data for Buffalo AND Toronto/Hamilton including all of our CN Tower OTA digital signals. (even Omni 1,2 and City)

Works for me - but I am 100% OTA an don't need cogeco cable stuff mixed in with the guide.

Stu
post #14 of 1360 (permalink) Old 2008-11-10, 02:03 PM

Thanks Guys that is a great relief I was worried that there was some other reason that I hadn't seen more OTA users refering to this unit. I did see mention to moding the hard drive and there is also a separate external 500 gig drive you can add if needed. but mostly I just wanted to be sure it could handle the high def signal without compresion.
post #15 of 1360 (permalink) Old 2008-11-10, 02:08 PM

Tenstu I'd like to try using the US zip but I also have cogeco analoge which this unit could use as it's a duel tuner. I'm not sure how I can do both.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.