TiVos for HD OTA in Canada - Page 94 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1396 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2017-04-01, 05:13 PM

I live in Gatineau. I use my Gatineau postal code. It gives me all of the local OTA stations. In the past I've used 13669 which is Ogdensburg in northern New York and it shows me the Canadian current OTA channels but it also shows me the US stations which I cannot pick up at all from my house. I don't know what Opera TV is, and I don't recall seeing it on my Roamio before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1397 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2017-04-01, 06:27 PM

The Opera TV store is listed here at 9:22 in the video
The TiVo Roamio OTA review July 24, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je1no0DLC0I

If I select USA and it doesn't work to my liking I imagine I can redo the process again and select Canada then.
post #1398 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2017-04-01, 10:41 PM
Veteran

Opera tv app works with Canadian postal code as well.

post #1399 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2017-04-01, 11:43 PM

Thanks, it's good to know. I should get the Roamio delivered next week. I look forward to trying it.
post #1400 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2017-04-02, 09:54 AM

I'm in Montreal and my Romio units are configured with USA settings using the 12919 zip code. All the local Montreal channels (French and English) show up in the guide, as do the regional Canadian channels (7.1 CHLTHD, 8.1 CHEMDT, 24.1 CIVSDT), and all "local" USA channels.

The Opera TV service appears as an available App, but I'm not a subscriber to this service so I can't confirm that it will work. However, I can confirm that Netflix works perfectly, and I'm using a USA Netflix account. You may need to install a router-based VPN (or similar device) to access Opera TV from a USA account.

** I just tested the Opera TV service for the first time - It didn't require a subscription. I was able to access a wide range of streaming videos without any problems, using my USA settings, and no VPN was required.

Last edited by WalterP; 2017-04-02 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Update
post #1401 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2017-04-02, 12:17 PM

Thanks for confirming the french channels appear in the guide. My sp˘use will be happy.

I had a USA Netflix account but I closed it after it stopped working with UnblockUS. I kept my Canadian account only. There's less choice but it still does the job especially since my spouse is mostly french only. My sons and I prefer to watch movies in english. There could be 9.1 in the channels (local SRC for Sherbrooke). It's not a huge deal since the programming is almost identical to SRC 2.1.

I have Opera TV included in a Samsung Blue Ray player I purchased in the USA. Some of the same channels are available on a Roku also. They all work without a VPN on my BR player.
post #1402 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2017-04-16, 09:46 PM

I've received my Tivo Roamio for a few days now. Opera Tv on the Roamio is not the same as the other I have. It's almost an empty shell compared to what is available on my Samsung Blue Ray player. Roku has many of the channels found on Opera Tv of the BR player and more. I can see now why it wasn't discussed much.

One of my most liked feature of the Roamio is the ability to determine your favourite channels and then search for programming by type. I've set mine up to search the french channels only for movies for my spouse.
post #1403 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2017-04-18, 11:45 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gran Chico View Post
The CHCH issue has been identified (not something caused by TiVO). The TiVo tuner doesn't like a transport stream mismatch between PAT and TVCT. CHCH used to send 17091 (hex 42C3) for both, but now sending 17091 in TVCT and 1 in PAT.
CHCH has fixed the transport stream id issue. Both my TiVos can tune it in as 11-1 again!
Edwin likes this.

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #1404 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2017-06-05, 08:45 AM

Tivo seems to have messed up the channel guide. CHCH is showing as CTC and the listings are also CTC yet the tv displays CHCH. TVO is completely missing from the guide. This change happened on June 2nd.

Tags
tivo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.