TiVos for HD OTA in Canada - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 1410 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 10:27 AM
Veteran

I should add, because this is the OTA section, that the Series 2 DT specifically does not support antenna at all.. This is to comply with an FCC rule that devices that have antenna tuners have ATSC tuners. TiVo copped out not including antenna support in that model. They held to their guns and left out support for the OTA converter boxes in that TiVo becuase it wan't supposed to be antenna compatible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1410 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 10:54 AM

My Tivo HD cost $ 200 at Sears and $ 400 for Lifetime sub. All in USD.

It's worth it IMHO.
post #93 of 1410 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Yes, the TiVo will work with the Bell box allowing you to record all of your channels. The TiVo is a great box but don't forget that you have to pay a subscription fee of (I think) $12.95/month. That's over $150/yr, more if you add in taxes so that it isn't that much less than $400 when you look at your all-in costs for one year.
Just to clarify there are no taxes added on to the subscription. The cost is the $12.95 per month or yearly or lifetime subscription in U.S. dollars.

And to the other poster, yes you can record your HD channels but it is in the SD format. If you own more than one unit you can also use multi-room viewing and download your programs to your computer or laptop.

post #94 of 1410 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 11:26 AM
Rookie

TiVo

yep i know that you have to subscribe monthly to TiVo, but since i've heard only good things about the TiVo and if it records what I want it to record, i plan on using it for the rest of my tv watching life... Thank you everyone! I feel more informed now!
post #95 of 1410 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 11:31 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennywenny View Post
i plan on using it for the rest of my tv watching life... Thank you everyone! I feel more informed now!
You have low expectations if you never plan to go HD or 3D!
post #96 of 1410 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 11:34 AM
Rookie

TiVo

well i could purchase the HD TiVo box and use it until Canada decides to catch up to U.S., no??

and yes i understand that I would have to purchase it in the U.S. or U.S. website...
post #97 of 1410 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 11:44 PM

Quote:
well i could purchase the HD TiVo box and use it until Canada decides to catch up to U.S., no??

and yes i understand that I would have to purchase it in the U.S. or U.S. website...
Yes, I am doing that right now. I have a Channel Master 4228 antenna and a VHF yagi plus a CM7777 preamp connected to my Tivo. I catch all of the US channels and some of the Montreal channels ( becasue of the opposite direction).

I purchased mine at Sears US. There's a guy in Alberta on the internet that sells the TivoHD to Canadians. He's expensive.
post #98 of 1410 (permalink) Old 2010-01-16, 09:24 PM
Rookie

where did u buy TiVo??

did you buy your HD TiVo in the U.S. at Sears or on their website??
post #99 of 1410 (permalink) Old 2010-01-16, 11:30 PM

I went to the Sears store.

I am not sure if they still carry Tivo's. Best Buy do have tivo's and some Wal-Marts (maybe their website)
post #100 of 1410 (permalink) Old 2010-01-17, 12:19 AM

There are no retail stores in Canada that carry the Tivo HD and they will not ship it to Canada. You need to go to the U.S. to pick up the Tivo HD or buy from a other retailer that ships to Canada. Not sure if I am allowed to provide a link. There is one company I know of that does ship to Canada but it is expensive and I don't know how close to the border you are (not sure how close Mississagua is).
post #101 of 1410 (permalink) Old 2010-01-17, 01:27 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennywenny View Post
You could, but as I said, it will not work with any box service. Only Series 2s will (in Canada).
Quote:
Yes, provided said site ships to Canada or you can make other arrangements. Tivo.com does not ship to Canada.
post #102 of 1410 (permalink) Old 2010-01-17, 11:03 PM
Rookie

:)

Thanx intravino!
post #103 of 1410 (permalink) Old 2010-02-11, 09:38 PM
Veteran

I posted about an OTA Tivo problem in the OTA Reception Vancouver, Victoria thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1053236

Here's what I wrote:

Quote:
I turned on my Tivo HD yesterday to find a message saying that there is a change to my lineup:

2-1 CBUT-DT moved to 58-1
8-1 CHAN-DT moved to 22-1
32-1 CIVT-DT moved to 33-1

Thanks...great except that each of those new channels are nothing but a black screen.

Can anyone think of a reason that Tivo would have done this? Is there a move in the works to put the stations on these new channels that Tivo is aware of but hasn't happened yet and they jumped the gun? Now, if I want to record on the 'real' OTA channels that I get (2-1 etc.) I have to do a manual recording and get no guide data. Meanwhile, it goes ahead and records all of my season passes on channels that have no content (but good guide data).

Interestingly, when I check Antenna signal strength these new channels do show strong signal but just black screen.
Since then I have called 5 times and am still trying to get them to change it back. My case has been escalated so I am hopeful it will be fixed soon.
post #104 of 1410 (permalink) Old 2010-02-14, 02:20 PM

Hey Faston I donít know if thereís a line up change in your area but it sounds like TiVo has made a mistake.

My advice would be to call them every few days and get them to do a line-up change for you.

Unfortunately the TiVo techs you call do not make the changes. They send them off to another company and it can take time. It toke a year for me to get my locals sorted out and Iím still missing one.

The other issue is that not all TiVo Tech support guys are the same some really donít have a clue when it comes to OTA.

Theyíll have you do endless channel scans. You need to be patient and persistent.

In the short term if you have any friends that live close whose line-up is correct, and your only using the unit for OTA you could use their postal code.

Good luck.
post #105 of 1410 (permalink) Old 2010-02-24, 12:12 PM
Rookie

glad i've read this thread

i've been thinking of getting rid of cogeco for awhile now - but i love the pvr and didn't think i had any other choices - i'm definately getting a tivo now and recording shows ota - it's $13 buck a month subscription but i'm paying 17 right now just to rent the pvr from cogeco - so excited to get rid of this bill now i can apply the money i'll save and get that gym membership i couldn't afford to get

Tags
tivo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.