TiVos for HD OTA in Canada - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2009-09-21, 02:01 PM
Veteran

What model TiVo do you have?

The Series 2 DT (TCD649080) does not support antenna at all, as doesn't the rare 542 model.

Older Series 2 Single tuners do support OTA , analog direclty, or digital with most CECB type converter boxes.

The DirecTV HR10-250 can tune digital OTA, but won't get DVR service (you need to subscribe to DirecTV to get that enabled, which of course you cannot get in Canada), and likely no guide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2009-09-21, 03:04 PM

Can you put a CECB on a Series 2 DT (TCD649080) ?
post #63 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2009-09-22, 09:06 AM
Veteran

Officially, the Series 2 DT does not support antenna at all, even with the CECBs; only tthe Series 2s that originally supported antena do.
Note the use of the word "support".

Unofficially, you can make it work if you find a cable or satellite lineup that matches your OTA lineup for the xx.1 stations, and a box that has IR codes that match the codes TiVo has for that boxes for cable or satellite.

post #64 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2009-10-02, 11:04 AM
paq
Rookie

How would you be able to determine that without extensive (and expensive) trial-and-error testing? Are there some guides somewhere?

Last edited by stampeder; 2009-10-02 at 01:51 PM. Reason: quote of previous post removed as per rules
post #65 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2009-10-23, 09:41 PM

Listings for OMNI's and SunTV now correct!

Hooray!

I turned on my Tivo today and was shown a message about a line-up change. Looks like the folks at Tivo have finally fixed both of the Toronto OMNI, as well as the SunTV channels. This means I have complete lineup info for all of the DTV channels I receive OTA.

Previously, Tivo listings for CFMT or OMNI 1 came in as remapped to 47-1 (which they weren't) listings for CJMT or OMNI 2, came in as remapped to 69-1 (ditto) and CKXT or SunTV listings came in as mapped to 52-1 (while Sun HD OTA doesn't remap and comes in as 66-1)

Finally, my Tivo won't record 60 minutes of nothing when it tries to record a Suggestion on the OMNI's or SunTV. Finally, I can use Season Passes to shows on these channels!

FYI, I am using the US Zip Code of 14301 to get my listing info.

Chimney mounted CM4228 UHF Antenna with CM7778 preamp - Sony KDL-46XBR4/Hauppage HVR-1600/Tivo HD
post #66 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2009-10-24, 09:54 AM

Hey Scruffy I too had a good week.

TiVo added four stations to my line up this week 17.1 WNED, both OMNIs and SUN TV. I am now only missing MY TV.
I am using my Milton, Ontario postal code.
post #67 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2009-10-27, 08:44 AM
Rookie

My first post :

I am using a TiVo HD receiver to get OTA channels in Toronto. I am using a Buffalo zip code to get the US listings too. With the above corrections I am getting channel data for all Canadian stations with one exception. City HD at 57-1 has no information, the SD version at 57 does contain the correct listings.

Can anybody help ?
post #68 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2009-10-29, 05:26 PM

Hey admorgan, you'll have to call TiVo and ask them to make a line up change for you,. Good luck
post #69 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2009-12-12, 09:07 PM

Please share your TivoHD experience in South Etobioke

Hello everyone. I intend to buy a condo in South Etobicoke by Humber Bay Park, hopefully facing Lake Ontario, and I want to know your experiences with the Tivo HD box in satifying your entertainment experience.

What I want to do is buy the super Tivo HD box OTA version and ditch the rogers cable to save money over the long term. I want this particular Tivo box because the hard drive is huge for archiving high definition programming.

Any positive experiences with pulling in stations in South Etobicoke by the lake? How many stations will I be able to get? How high do I have to be in a condo to max my station reception capacity?

Thanks

Last edited by stampeder; 2009-12-13 at 03:25 AM. Reason: retail pricing removed as per rules of the forum
post #70 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2009-12-13, 06:54 AM

I glanced through this thread but didn't see an answer to this question:

Can I use my Canadian address to setup an account with Tivo? Then buy an HD Tivo from the US (since HD models aren't sold in Canada) and activate it on my Canadian account?!

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection
post #71 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 09:58 AM

I have a TivoHD since Feb 09 on OTA of course.
Quote:
Can I use my Canadian address to setup an account with Tivo?!
Yes

Quote:
Then buy an HD Tivo from the US (since HD models aren't sold in Canada
You should buy the TivoHD first IMHO. Remember that Tivo will charge you in USD for the sub even with a Canadian Address.

I myself purchased a lifetime sub. I use the Champlain NY zip code to get all of the Montreal, Plattsburgh and Burlington stations guides.

Quote:
I want to know your experiences with the Tivo HD box in satifying your entertainment experience.

Simple, it's the best consumer electronic equipment I've ever purchased and I had almost all of the gadgets ( DirecTV, CD, DVD, Game console, IPOD, Zune, Sirius/XM and ect) when they came out.

It runs 4 to 6 hours of recording time minimum per day. It's starts at 8:00 PM and end at 1:00 am ( Reno 911 reruns on CW ). 50 % of the time, it's recording two shows at once.

Did you hear sometimes stuff from your friends like; you know you're spending $ 600 USD, is it really worth it, will you get yours money worth?

With my Tivo, I got my money back in the first month, period.

They guides are incredible, the interface is so simple but so complete. It's super stable ( Linux OS ), never add a reboot or froze. The commercial skip feature is addictive. I love the remote. I got the Wi-FI adaptor after.

The tuner sensitivity is pretty good, Microtune tuner, I get from my location 2 PBS affiliates, Fox, CW, ABC ( 60-80 % of the time,the signal is very weak in my area) NBC, CBS, SRC and CBC.

The rest: RTV, Tele-Quebec, V, CTV and TVA are on an other antenna via my Samsung Tuner.

I recommend taking the lifetime sub.

Intravino
post #72 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2010-01-07, 03:40 AM
Rookie

Thumbs up Extremely happy with my HD TiVo PVR

I have been using a HD TiVo PVR for over three years. In the Toronto area. I purchased a lifetime subscription and have been extremely happy with the performance that this TiVo offers me. I have two regular standard definition TiVos with dual tuners and they're all networked together. I record basic cable channels two through 99 with my standard definition TiVo and I receive my over the air HD channels with complete guide and all TiVo features without any problems whatsoever.

When I want to watch standard definition channels I simply stream from my regular TiVos over to my HD TiVo. I found the system to be the absolute best I was extremely happy that my home theater guy recommended the system to me.

One of my two dual tuner TiVo's is hooked up to a Rogers Digital cable box in order for me to receive standard definition channels above channel 100. The digital box I have is connected to a high-definition digital tuner from Rogers. I am able to record all of Rogers standard definition programs without any issues and without requiring multiple boxes throughout the house. When I want to watch high-definition channels I simply choose the high-definition channel I want to view on my TiVo and using my Harmony remote control I select watch Roger's HD. My television than instantly switches inputs to that of the HD source. If I am not at home to watch the high-definition channel Live TiVo will still record my show in standard definition.

I must say I was extremely skeptical at first with the system that was praposed to me than installed. In the end it was an outstanding choice. I recently ordered from my home theater guy a custom home theater PC that will be able to stream my DVD and blue ray movie collection over to my TiVo and vice a versa. as well as being able to record my shows off the rogers HD Box.

I'm writing this post only because I think that many people would be interested in the type of setup I have and unfortunately I have not been able to find any information on the type of system I have. Instead I was told by many people that TiVo did not work properly in Canada and the HD TiVo was not worth it. I can honestly tell you that it's worth every cent.

And now that I have the system I cannot go back to a regular Rogers cable box. All I can say is that TiVo is the best PVR ever and if you get over the fee issue you can never go back to any type of PVR at any Cost.

It works flawlessly in Canada don't be fooled by what other people are saying. I get guide information from both the US and Canada without any problems whatsoever on my HD TiVo. I can post pics of my system not sure how to post to fourm as it wants a html link to photos.

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-01-07 at 12:32 PM. Reason: moved to this thread covering the topic
post #73 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2010-01-07, 08:51 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOURPVR View Post
It works flawlessly in Canada don't be fooled by what other people are saying. I get guide information from both the US and Canada without any problems whatsoever on my HD TiVo.
No offense but to say it works flawlessly you would have to be able to put a CableCard in it which you can't do in Canada. IMHO it is kind of crippled if you can't record your cable channels in HD.
post #74 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2010-01-07, 08:57 PM

Since when is a CableCard required for OTA television?

EDIT: Nevermind--the post was moved to the OTA forum, and is somewhat out of context now.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection
post #75 of 1404 (permalink) Old 2010-01-07, 09:06 PM
Veteran

To say you can't do it in Canada isn't quite right. You can do it in Port Perry and Uxbridge, ON.

Tags
tivo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.