TiVos for HD OTA in Canada - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 1394 (permalink) Old 2009-07-02, 08:52 AM

Just a quick update for those of you who have an HD TiVo. I managed to get TiVo to manually add some of my missing stations from Buffalo, specifically 2.1 , 4.1 and 7.1. thats NBC, ABC and CBS. For some reason they haven't yet managed to get me FOX or PBS, they say there working on it. Still I'm pretty happy and hopefully with a little more nagging they'll come through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 1394 (permalink) Old 2009-07-03, 08:30 PM

Hey Chudsmith, i've had an open ticket for a channel line-up update thru the tivo website for both Fox and Wnyo for 3 weeks. Oddly enough, i get PBS channel info for 17.1. Try maybe running guided setup again and see if it shows up. Will update when i see guide info for Fox/WNYO.
post #48 of 1394 (permalink) Old 2009-07-07, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chudsmith View Post
Just a quick update for those of you who have an HD TiVo. I managed to get TiVo to manually add some of my missing stations from Buffalo, specifically 2.1 , 4.1 and 7.1. thats NBC, ABC and CBS.
OK, so I'm still using the Niagara Zipcode to get my listings, and off antenna I get listings for the following channels.
Code:
2-1	WGRZDT
2-2	WGRZDT2
2-3	WGRZDT3
4-1	WIVBDT	
5-1	CBLTDT	
7-1	WKBWDT
9-1	CFTODT
11-1	CHCHDT
17-1	WNEDDT
17-2	WNEDDT2
17-3	WNEDDT3
23-1	WNLODT
25-1	CBLFTDT
26-1	WNYBDT
26-2	WNYBDT2
29-1	WUTVDT
29-2	WUTVDT2
36-1	CITSDT
41-1	CIIIDT
44-1	OMNI2 - picture OK, no listings
47-1	CFMTDT - listings OK, no picture
49-1	WNYODT
49-2	WNYODT2
51-1	WPXJDT
51-2	WPXJDT2
51-3	WPXJDT3
51-4	WPXJDT4
52-1	CKXTDT - listings OK, no picture
57-1	CITYDT
64-1	OMNI1 - picture OK, no listings
66-1	CKXT-DT - picture OK, no listings
69-1	CJMTDT - listings OK, no picture
The OMNI's seem to be broken because Tivo expects them to do a PSIP remap, which they aren't doing. Same with CKXT (SunTV)

What would I be missing if I changed over to using my Canadian postal code?

Chimney mounted CM4228 UHF Antenna with CM7778 preamp - Sony KDL-46XBR4/Hauppage HVR-1600/Tivo HD

post #49 of 1394 (permalink) Old 2009-07-07, 09:39 PM

Well if you used a canadian postal code instead of the zipcode, you would lose:

WNYB-DT
WUTV-DT
WNYO-DT
WPXJ-DT2
WPXJ-DT3
WPXJ-DT4
ckxt-dt

These are the only OTA channels I'm currently missing guide info for. I'd use a Niagara zidcode but i also use Tivo for Rogers analog cable listings. I don't think i could use both. I wish Tivo would stay on top of this and allow us to manually add channel info via a stations call letter search engine or something. Kind of like titan.tv
post #50 of 1394 (permalink) Old 2009-07-09, 08:36 PM

Hey Pshseek sorry it took me so long to reply, been away. I've done what you mentioned many times, Ive also tryed ( clear program guide and to do list ). I called TiVo today and they say there still working on it, which is fine by me. I never thought I'd get the ones I have now. Even with the issues getting all the Bufalo stations I don't regret getting the Tivo It works great.
post #51 of 1394 (permalink) Old 2009-07-09, 09:56 PM

Chudsmith, do you have a OTA only setup or is Tivo giving you program info for cable? I tried calling Tivo once not too long ago and after being on hold for an hour, I hung up and vowed never to call again. I go on their website and create a "ticket" for a channel line-up change. The first one i did, i reported that i wasnt' getting NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, and WNYO guide info. About a month later NBC, CBS and ABC showed up in my guide. Looking back it probably was just a coincidence. I mean, why add just three instead of them all? Guess I'll keep creating line-up change tickets. I love my Tivo and don't plan on giving it up.
post #52 of 1394 (permalink) Old 2009-07-10, 04:31 PM

Hey Pshseek. I have OTA and Cogeco basic Cable, but almost never watch anything but OTA HD. I keep the basic cable for the wife she watches A&E alot. I watch all kinds of new shows I never bothered with before the OTA HD channels. I'll use TiVo, find programs , HD, and just browse for anything interesting. Which is why It would be awsome to get FOX and PBS as they both have shows I really like. If TiVo ever gets the line up complete I can't imagine a better DVR for OTA. I got my TiVo HD unit from amazon.com for $ 250.00 and had my dad bring it home for me, I already had a standard TiVo digital box from future shop on a monthly plan so when I got the life time subscription for my HD unit it was $ 299.00 thats $ 100.00 off. I payed more than that for my Bell Digital PVR unit and It only works with Bell. I wish HBO transmitted OTA and you could just pay them for a de-scrambler or something. Cable companies need to go.
post #53 of 1394 (permalink) Old 2009-07-27, 06:43 AM

Tivo update: Still not getting any guide info for outstanding channels but they took away NBC's guide info. WTF!! Yet they left everything else. Chudsmith, do you have Cogeco going thru the Tivo? If so how'd u run the guided setup with canadian cable and a american zipcode for ota? Maybe i should run setup again. I love my Tivo but this is getting riduculous. Last week i got an email from tivo line-up issue department asking for an official channel lineup card from Rogers. This after i have specifically said in two emails that the problem is not getting guide info for my scanned ota channels. The saga continues......
post #54 of 1394 (permalink) Old 2009-07-28, 08:30 AM

Hey pshseek I use my Milton postal code not a US one. I'm at work so I'll have to check and post back if I've lost any stations. I also got an email asking for detailed guide info from Tivo and called to ask, what the hell I've only given it 10 times. The Tivo rep told me it was a good thing and that it was sent from the lineup people and to reply, I only sent information about my OTA and an explanation that my cable is all good. I'm not about to send them a list of 200 cable stations that are all good. My advise would be to try a guided setup using your home postal code. Good luck.

Last edited by Chudsmith; 2009-07-28 at 04:53 PM.
post #55 of 1394 (permalink) Old 2009-07-28, 12:48 PM

Hey Pshseek. You should call Tivo and complain / threaten them, that's what I'll do if I lose NBC. You are part of this forum and can share honest information regarding Tivo's service or lack there of. They should be aware that. There is a growing number of OTA enthusiasts in Canada and many of them use this forum to share info.

I truely belive that the Tivo HD unit is superior to all others but without proper guide information what good is it.

By the way I have never had to wait for a rep when calling during business hours. So try calling during a break. The last time I called and complained they gave me a couple months of free service.

Last edited by Chudsmith; 2009-07-28 at 04:56 PM. Reason: poor grammer
post #56 of 1394 (permalink) Old 2009-08-08, 08:48 AM

Came home yesterday and found they finally added guide info for FOX ( 29-1 and -2 ) yehaa. Still no PBS or MY TV but at least they're movin in the right direction.
post #57 of 1394 (permalink) Old 2009-08-10, 06:25 AM

Yeah me too! They added both WUTV-DT and WNYB-DT to the guide. I phoned twice last week to rattle their cages and had the second guy tell me that its all based on your areacode. Unfortunatley, Tivo's database is in a dire need of an update. He did say that with the channels i'm wanting to add for guide info, their should be no problem for the channel lineup department to handle it. We shall see! I still need guide info for NBC, which for some reason they took away from me, MyTV49, OMNI1 & 2, SUNTV and ION.
post #58 of 1394 (permalink) Old 2009-09-18, 02:34 PM
Rookie

OTA with Series 2

Hello,

I have a Series 2 Tivo and i was wondering if I can access OTA with it? Do I need an atenna to get the signals? I have an HD Samsung TV and I would like to know what I need to be able to get as many channels as possible. Thanks.
post #59 of 1394 (permalink) Old 2009-09-18, 05:39 PM
Veteran

It might be possible to use this TiVo with an external OTA tuner but you wouldn't be recording HD signals on your TiVo since you would have to use S-video to get the signal into your TiVo. That would require an antenna of some sort - the alternative is to feed the antenna directly into your HDTV assuming that your TV has an ATSC tuner. That would get you HD but then you wouldn't be able to use the TiVo on those channels.
post #60 of 1394 (permalink) Old 2009-09-21, 09:57 AM
Rookie

Thanks Wayne. I managed to get the OTA HD channels with just a regular antenna. I was hoping to be albe to use my Tivo to record, but can't get it to work. When I used to have Rogers HD cable I could record off the HD channels it just recorded them in HD. I assumed it would also work the same way but can't figure it out. I guess I will have to get an HD Tivo. Does anyone know if a DirectTV HD Tivo would work? They seem to be really cheap on ebay, but I don't know if they work or not.

Tags
tivo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.