ATSC DVR & PVR Recorders (other than CM) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 609 (permalink) Old 2007-01-16, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb ATSC DVR & PVR Recorders (other than CM)

I was wondering if anyone with a built in OTA tuner is able to record HD broadcasts using a regular dvd recorder? Or do I need to buy something with a Hard drive?

I imagine the TV will have to be turned on and tuned into the channel I want to record as well since the tuner is built in? I work swing shifts and might have to quit my job now that I am missing all these wonderful high-def broadcasts!

Somebody help me!

Last edited by stampeder; 2007-01-17 at 03:54 PM. Reason: New thread from old posts - see post #3 for introduction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 609 (permalink) Old 2007-01-17, 01:32 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrocutioner
I was wondering if anyone with a built in OTA tuner is able to record HD broadcasts using a regular dvd recorder?
The short answer is no.

There are several issues here. First of all most TVs don't have any type of video output connecter. Secondly, unless you have and HD-DVD or Blueray DVD recorder you cannot record in HD (it is theoretically possible to record HD programs on a standard DVD, but I only know of one DVD player that will play this type of DVD and you will probably get less than an hour of programming per disk).

Apparently come February all video recorders (DVD, VHS or HDD) sold in the US will be required to have an ATSC tuner, but I don't know of any DVD recorders on the market yet that have one (there are a couple HD HDD recorders and an HD VCR that have them). Even if they do magically appear on the market, I am sure many (all?) will down convert the signal to SD

Is there a thread for talking about set top OTA HD recorders?
post #3 of 609 (permalink) Old 2007-01-17, 01:38 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Is there a thread for talking about set top OTA HD recorders?
There is now, Roger!

This thread is for discussing STBs (Set Top Boxes) that can record Digital OTA programming via ATSC.

At present (January 2007) these are the options:
  • LG used to market an ATSC DVR that might still be available - discussed in this thread
  • similar ATSC DVR/PVR products are discussed in this thread
  • feeding a conventional DVR from an ATSC STB (down-converts 1080i or 720p to 480p) - discussed in this thread
  • the OTA tuner built into some types of satellite receivers - covered in other threads so not discussed in this thread
  • HTPC (Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux on PC) - covered in other threads so not discussed in this thread
  • Tivo 3's ATSC PVR capability - covered in its own Tivo thread so not discussed in this thread

Last edited by stampeder; 2007-01-23 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Added Tivo 3 to list on 99gecko's info
post #4 of 609 (permalink) Old 2007-01-17, 02:45 PM
rpr

I am currently recording OTA broadcasts using a Silicon Dust HD HomeRun device, and my Linux based MythTV PVR system. Works fantastic!

Tom
post #5 of 609 (permalink) Old 2007-01-17, 03:51 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Thanks for the info, rpr

I've changed the topic of this thread so that we don't cover the same things covered in HTPC threads here at DHC.
post #6 of 609 (permalink) Old 2007-01-22, 11:28 AM

Toshiba D-VR650 DVD Recorder Coming Soon With ATSC

Did anyone see anything in the CES coverage about these video recorders? On the Toshiba press release I found the following:
Quote:
Toshiba's entry level D-R400 single deck DVD recorder offers HDMI with upconversion to 720p, 1080i and 1080p. It also offers one touch recording and a DV input. The step-up model, the D-R550, adds ATSC, QAM and NTSC tuners.

The top of the line Toshiba D-VR650 Super Multi Drive DVD recorder + VCR combination unit offers ATSC, QAM and NTSC tuners and HDMI with upconversion to 720p and 1080i.
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/news/new...asp?newsid=133

So at least one vendor is planing on releasing DVD recorders with ATSC tuners soon.

Last edited by WoodButcher; 2007-01-22 at 11:37 AM.
post #7 of 609 (permalink) Old 2007-01-22, 08:21 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
New RCA and Samsung DVD Recorder ATSC STBs Coming

I found press releases for 3 more DVD Recorders with ATSC tuners. One from RCA (who have also announced an ATSC tuner for old analog TVs) and two from Samsung. They are all going to be in the $250-$320 US range and will be available in the middle of 2007.

Edit: I also found Panasonic's press release. It looks like all of their DVD recorders in 2007 will have digital tuners (other brands entry level machines seem to lack any tuner).

I should also note that all of these DVD recorders seem to record in either EDTV or SDTV but not HDTV.

Last edited by roger1818; 2007-01-22 at 08:55 PM.
post #8 of 609 (permalink) Old 2007-01-22, 10:20 PM

Will they pass through HD from the tuner to the TV?

Many of them are capable of "up-converting" to HD resolutions from DVD. The tuner will not be to useful if it doesn't support HD, or down-converts the output.
post #9 of 609 (permalink) Old 2007-01-23, 01:16 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Probably the only OTA PVR option available right at this moment without any strings attached is to use a PC with any of the ATSC cards or new USB tuners on the market.
post #10 of 609 (permalink) Old 2007-01-23, 04:41 PM
Veteran

Now that I think about it, there is one other option that I remember, but it is of no value to electrocutioner or WoodButcher as it is not an STB. Therefore it is of no value to anyone with an existing STB - only those who are considering a purchase of a HDTV and would like to go OTA that is.
LG had 50" & 60" plasmas with ATSC tuner and integrated 160 GB hard drive DVR - 50/60py2dr & 50pc1dr are the model #'s.
I don't remember anything about their actual quality/capabilities though - either the plasma HDTV or the integrated DVR. The first two are older models now and they were very expensive when they first came out in the US. At the time they were high-end models. The 50pc1dr was considered a lower model. If I recall they weren't immediately available in Canada and I don't recall ever seeing them in a retail store here.
Just posting this here since it deals with OTA PVR options.
post #11 of 609 (permalink) Old 2007-01-24, 12:47 PM
Veteran

Sony used to make four HD PVRs with built in ATSC tuners (the DHG-HDD100, 200, 250 and 500). These were very expensive and thus not very popular. You can still find them on e-bay now and again.
post #12 of 609 (permalink) Old 2007-01-24, 01:11 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Likewise with finding one of these LG ATSC DVR units somewhere:

http://reviews.cnet.com/LG_LST_3410A...-30958320.html
post #13 of 609 (permalink) Old 2007-01-24, 02:56 PM
Veteran

Sorry, I should have posted this when this thread started.

Another review of yet-to-be-released equipment:
C|Net review of DVD recorders with built in ATSC tuners from CES 2007
I'm really curious how the offensive language "TV Guardian" works.
post #14 of 609 (permalink) Old 2007-01-24, 04:33 PM
Veteran

Here is another link which describes what the different manufacturers are doing with the FCC's mandate for ATSC tuners in devices that that receive television signals: Tuner Rule Hits Recorders.

All of Panasonic's recorders will have both digital and analog tuners.

LG, Toshiba and JVC will have recorders with and without tuners.

Zenith (a subsidiary of LG) will only have tunerless recorders.

LiteOn will get out of the branded DVD recorder business.

For those who want a VCR with an ATSC tuner, it looks like the only standalone VCR will be the expensive JVC HM-DT100 Digital VHS HDTV Recorder (though I don't think it is available in Canada). Other than that, the only way to get a VCR will be in a DVD/VCR combo unit.
post #15 of 609 (permalink) Old 2007-01-24, 05:15 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gecko
I'm really curious how the offensive language "TV Guardian" works.
According to tvguardian.com

Quote:
TVG« Technology is patented technology that detects foul words and mutes them. It works by monitoring the hidden closed-caption text and comparing each word against a dictionary of more than 150 offensive words and phrases. When a foul word or phrase is detected, TVG« automatically mutes the offensive language. A profanity-free version of the phrase is displayed during the mute.
You can buy this as an external box or several DVD players come with it built-in.

Tags
ota hdtv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.