ATSC DVR & PVR Recorders (other than CM) - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 690 (permalink) Old 2007-11-14, 10:48 AM
Rookie

Thanks Gary- good to know there are others....after pricing and sourcing these units, I have decided to get what I want in 2 chunks....chunk 1 is a LITEON HDA740GX dvd recorder/burner w/160GB hard drive I found in a back dusty corner of the Peterborough Wal-Mart (rolled back to half price!- the clerk said "what is this thing? I didn't even know we had this"...it has only an NSTC tuner but then for chunk 2- I have bought a used ASTC tuner off eBay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 690 (permalink) Old 2007-11-14, 01:16 PM
Veteran

Almost time to make your neighbours jealous ???

I was at the Toshiba HD-DVD event in Markham this past Saturday. (more info here)

Although it wasn't a showcase item, they had set up in the lobby this monster - the RD-A1:

Although it is primarily an HD DVD player, it boasts a 1 TeraByte HDD capacity!! I'm not sure if that is one drive, or multiple drives.
The tuner is the Japanese standard - ISDB-T, so it won't work for OTA in North America, which uses ATSC. However, Manny, the Toshiba rep I talked to said it is possible we might see something like this in N.A. in the future. When I pressed him on a time line, he shrugged and said he didn't really know but maybe in about 4 years...???

BTW, it cost them $4000 to ship it here !!

As of July 2007, the MSRP in Japan is 398,000 Yen, which is ~ $ 3400.00 Cdn!! .....Uhmm, soon it will be time to raid my kid's piggy-banks....
post #78 of 690 (permalink) Old 2007-11-30, 04:42 PM
Veteran

Polaroid - not just for cheesy photos anymore...

If you are a Wooter (woot-dot-com: electronics - one deal a day - but only for a day), and you have a US postal address to ship it to, take a look at today's (Nov. 30th/2007) "deal":

Polaroid DVD Recorder with 160GB Hard Drive and ATSC Tuner model: DRA-01601A - $99.

A quick search produced mixed reviews, some very poor. Unfortunately, it only outputs at 480p, so for me it isn't worth considering. As well, I'm skeptical about the build quality of Polaroid products - I actually have a Polaroid under counter 7" TV in the kitchen.

Thought I'd mention it anyway however, even if this post actually belongs in the "What not to buy thread"

post #79 of 690 (permalink) Old 2007-12-19, 07:26 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

December, 2007 Major Brands

Here is a list of major brand ATSC Tuner-equipped DVD Recorders/Players/VCR Combos on the market as of December, 2007. This list is by no means comprehensive, so if you see other brands/models please post the info in this thread.

JVC
  • DR-MV99
Panasonic
  • DMR-EZ17
  • DMR-EZ27
  • DMR-EZ37V
  • DMR-EZ47V
Samsung
  • DVD-AR650
  • DVD-VR357
  • DVD-V6700
  • DVD-V9700
Toshiba
  • D-VR650
post #80 of 690 (permalink) Old 2007-12-19, 07:52 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Here is a list I got from Wikipedia, so they may not all be available in Canada:

LG Electronics
  • DR787T
  • DR797T
Panasonic
  • DMR-EZ17
  • DMR-EZ27
  • DMR-EZ37V
  • DMR-EZ47V
Magnavox
  • ZC352MW8
  • ZV450MW8
Philips
  • DVDR3505
  • DVDR3575H/37
Polaroid
  • DRA-01601A
Samsung
  • AR650
  • AVR950
Sony
  • RDR-GXD455
Sylvania
  • ZC350SL8
RCA
  • DRC8335
Toshiba
  • D-R550
  • D-VR650
post #81 of 690 (permalink) Old 2007-12-19, 08:39 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Samsung
  • DVD-VR357
  • DVD-V6700
  • DVD-V9700
BTW. I believe these three units are all tunerless (they have neither NTSC nor ATSC tuners) and should be removed from the list; however, I added the JVC to the list on Wikipedia.
post #82 of 690 (permalink) Old 2008-01-09, 12:47 PM

Question EPG on Philips DVDR3575H?

I am looking into getting one of these. I went OTA a few months ago, and would love to pick up the digital channels for my old tv. I looked at getting an ASTC tuner, but figured for the price I may as well throw in a hard drive!

Do any of these unit have the capability of having a EPG? I was looking at the Philips DVDR3575H, and the only thing stopping me is the lack of a guide (if one were available in another unit).

Is my only option a HD TIVO for this? I just cut my need for a subsciption so won't be going to TIVO.

BEV 3100 and 5800
post #83 of 690 (permalink) Old 2008-01-09, 01:10 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

ATSC broadcasts feature an EPG in their PSIP data. This means that a proper ATSC reception box should be able to show the EPG data that the channels are sending out.
post #84 of 690 (permalink) Old 2008-01-09, 01:55 PM

Sorry Stampeder, I'm confused.

One of the cons of the unit is no program guide. Is not having a guide unique to this unit or am I asking the wrong question. I would love to press a button and see what is on TV (if only what is on the digital channels)...

Do most of the other devices have program guides (EPG) or the review incorrect?

Thanks

BEV 3100 and 5800
post #85 of 690 (permalink) Old 2008-01-09, 02:25 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

When I'm watching OTA DTV channels on my HDTV I can press a button on the remote to open the EPG to see what all the DTV channels are showing. My HDTV got that info by gathering what is called PSIP data from those DTV channels. It is data carried by the channel along with its audio and video signals. Some channels like CBC HD tend to put in several days of EPG data, while others like CTV HD are quite variable for looking ahead.

I would assume that most ATSC-equipped consumer electronics products would make use of that PSIP data for their EPGs, but apparently the machine you mentioned probably doesn't do that. Some might use TVGOS, others might need network connections to use Zap2it or Schedules Direct for their EPGs.

I've never tried out a Philips DVDR3575H so I cannot tell you exactly which system it uses.
post #86 of 690 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 10:53 PM
Veteran

To the best of my knowledge currently only the Samsung DVD recorders with ATSC tuners have an EPG. All the other brands of DVD recorders lack this feature, but this may change with next year's models.
post #87 of 690 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 09:11 PM
Veteran

Some of these were available years ago - check out this story from 2003 about the Zenith/LG HDR230 http://ultimateavmag.com/hdtvsattuners/1003zenith/
post #88 of 690 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 10:25 PM
ASA

So this is basically like a Sumsung 260, but with a hard drive built in so I can do PVR stuff. ?

Just found a picture of the unit.

I also found a Youtube video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei2wwnKIlQ4

Last edited by ASA; 2008-01-11 at 10:34 PM.
post #89 of 690 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Some of these were available years ago - check out this story from 2003 about the Zenith/LG HDR230
The picture of the back of that reciever looks very similar to the back of my old Sony satellite/OTA reciever. Wonder if they were actually made by the same company.
post #90 of 690 (permalink) Old 2008-01-21, 03:24 PM
Rookie

Where to buy ATSC set-top box or DVR in Toronto

Does anyone know where in Toronto (or failing that, by mail or southern Ontario) I can buy an ATSC STB tuner? As of a year ago or so the best one seemed to be Samsung DTB-H260F, but if anyone has any ideas about brands, that too would be appreciated. I have searched through the site and have not found any specific information about brands and suppliers, other than one reference to a store in Windsor, which reference I could not seem to find again (and I am hoping to get it closer to home.) and the reference by Stampeder about a year ago to the Samsung DTB-H260F as the benchmark brand of ATSC tuner.

I have also been reading about DVRs here. I am new to this stuff and a bit uncertain what to get. Some of the posts above refer to DVRs with the ATSC/NTSC tuners built in, meaning basically you get the tuner plus the ability to record programs for later viewing. Perhaps it would be better just to get that instead of a plain old ATSC tuner. Can anyone recommend brands, and more importantly where in Toronto they sell this stuff? I have tried a bunch of places and they look at me like I am from mars when I ask for an "ATSC STB tuner".

Incidentally, it seems to be trivially easy to find these in the States but difficult as anything to find them here. Does this mean they have a more robust OTA culture down there? Sorry if questions seem dumb - I am new to OTA and this site.

Last edited by mcinnejo; 2008-01-21 at 03:32 PM.

Tags
ota hdtv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.