ATSC DVR & PVR Recorders (other than CM) - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 690 (permalink) Old 2007-07-21, 11:48 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
I read in a different forum that the reason why none of this year's recorders can output in true HD is that the chip of choice (LSI Domino 3) can either have one analog and one digital SD output or only one digital HD output. Since the recorders need an analog SD output for the S-VIDEO and Composite outputs, they have to configure it in SD mode (they could use an external down converter chip but that would add to the cost).

LSI is apparently working on solving this problem in the next generation of chip (Domino 5), which will be in next year's recorders.

For a complete technical explanation from a chip designer at LSI see the post by dr1394.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 690 (permalink) Old 2007-08-26, 10:12 PM

Unhappy Read it and weep - part 2 (Sony launches PlayTV)

Just read an article in the Globe and Mail (ROB August 23) about Sony launching PlayTV in Europe. The following is an excerpt:
Quote:
Using a format known in Europe as Digital Video Broadcasting — Terrestrial, the PlayTV integrates into the PlayStation 3 console and lets users record individual episodes or entire series to its hard drive.

Sony said the device's twin TV tuners are high-definition ready and able to view, record and play back in that format. Recorded video can be sent wirelessly from the console to a PSP.
Sigh. Once again, North America gets the short-end of the stick.
post #63 of 690 (permalink) Old 2007-08-30, 01:24 PM

RCA DVR10 OR SIMILIAR.

Going to Buffalo for Wedding Anniversary, I was thinking that since im going to be there, maybe I could get a DVR10 or something similar. I need to know if this is something that I can goto there K-mart or Wallmart stores. I Cant seem to find it in the websites listed.

post #64 of 690 (permalink) Old 2007-09-01, 09:46 AM

Dont bother, Im going this morning.
post #65 of 690 (permalink) Old 2007-10-02, 12:46 PM

Panasonic DVR/VCR with ATSC Tuner

Do any of you have any experience or comments on the Panasonic DMR EZ37VK?

Link to PDF of owners manual: http://static.tigerdirect.ca/pdf/Pan...7VK-Manual.pdf
post #66 of 690 (permalink) Old 2007-10-02, 12:46 PM

The Source: DVR with ATSC Tuner

I also see that The Source has a similar (without VCR) unit as item #1615664. I was unable to find a store with stock, but the website seemed to have availability. Future Shop has the same unit listed as well, but is listed as Web only, and sold out.

Any experience on this unit out there?
post #67 of 690 (permalink) Old 2007-10-02, 04:10 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

The last we heard here about that unit at The Source was in Post #43 so I wonder if anyone bought one?
post #68 of 690 (permalink) Old 2007-10-02, 07:38 PM

I purchased the EZ27 model from Future Shop. It languished in F.S. limbo for 2 weeks, then to a Canada Post sorting plant for almost 3 more weeks, at which point they deemed it lost! I have three theories. 1. These ATSC tuner optioned devices don't really exist in their inventory. 2. Robin Hood has taken over Canada Post. C.P. now has the track record of the Polish Postal service circa 1984. Of the three items I have had shipped via their method in the last 10 mos, they have "lost" two of them. For a baseball player a .333 batting average is pretty good. It if ever arrives I'll repost with my opinion. Same with that book I ordered last Christmas. 3. ExpressVu and Rogers special agents have infiltrated C.P. and are redirecting any package with an "HDTV" or "ATSC" sticker on it to Helsinki.
post #69 of 690 (permalink) Old 2007-10-04, 12:01 AM
Veteran

Quote:
It if ever arrives I'll repost
Becarefull that they don't charge you for storage....

I spent last week in Lehigh Valley, PA. Went into BestBuy to browse. Couldn't take my eyes off the stacks and stacks of ATSC DVRs and DVD recorders. Be patient.... they'll be coming north eventually.
post #70 of 690 (permalink) Old 2007-10-30, 03:01 PM
Kro

TViX Set Top Box

I like this one I wonder if there's other product like this. (It's still cost to much but I gues it will eventually cost a lot less.)
post #71 of 690 (permalink) Old 2007-11-12, 11:36 PM
Rookie

DVD/Hard Drive Recorder with HD receiver?

Hi - newbie, so please bear with me ....

I'm looking for an digital HD receiver/tuner with DVD record capability and "TIVO-ish" qualities. I don't have an HD tv so I don't think I can get a regular ol' ASTC receiver... can I? are there units with analog or S-video out?

WalMart in the USA sells a Magnavox H2080MW8 which would be perfect for me I think - an 80GB hard drive, and ASTC receiver with analog out, plus it has an analog receiver for regular TV signals like TVO broadcasts here.

Any suggestions on a similar unit that can be bought in Canada?

The WalMart in my area has a DVD/Recorder/Hard drive thing, but it contains no tuner of any sort...

thanks.
post #72 of 690 (permalink) Old 2007-11-12, 11:49 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
How do you plan to receive your signals? Are you planning to only use an antenna or are you going to use a service provider like Cable or Satellite?

Unless you erect a huge antenna, I don't believe you'll be receiving much in Lindsay on ATSC. See the following for OTA results in your area:

ON - Bowmanville, Peterborough, Trenton, Kawarthas - OTA

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #73 of 690 (permalink) Old 2007-11-13, 12:12 AM
Rookie

OTA- I have a 50' antenna with VHF and UHF and a channelmaster rotor etc...as does every house on my street- they never did run cable to this area.
I'm on a hill, and on lake Scugog facing SE. I can get 8 or 10 stations clear enough to watch analog. I suspect I can get a handful of digital ones to lock in (if that's what it does...? lock in?)
That other thread is what has me wanting to try OTA - very positive results from what i see there.

Last edited by hystat; 2007-11-13 at 12:18 AM.
post #74 of 690 (permalink) Old 2007-11-13, 11:50 AM
Rookie

I hafta drive to Buffalo I guess to get one of these- seems a bit crazy...
anyone else want one?
help pay for gas?
post #75 of 690 (permalink) Old 2007-11-13, 01:53 PM

Hystat,

If you read through the thread, you'll see there are various options. One option is the Phillips 3575H - it has a 160gb hard drive, an ATSC tuner (in SD only), and is also a DVD recorder. It costs about $300. I have one of these. It has similar functions as TiVo with 2 significant exceptions:
(1) no Electronic Programming Guide, so you'll be programming it like a VCR (however, you can still pause "live" TV), and
(2) the unit is NOT user friendly. I was hoping to get rid of our Rogers PVR and go solely OTA with this unit. However, I realise now that my wife would not use the 3575H because it is too complicated.

Another option is TiVo itself. The TiVo HD is available from TigerDirect for $365+monthly subscription (about $13/month). The TiVo HD has dual HD ATSC tuners. Once again, you can search through this thread for DHC users' opinions: Tivo in Canada Discussion

Tags
ota hdtv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.