Splitters, Attenuators, Filters, Diplexers, Other Signal Gear - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 1748 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 09:23 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

AHA! Bad cabling connections are a signal killer - recrimp asap alebowgm!!! Thanks Yaamon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 1748 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 10:10 PM
Veteran

what I determined is that it isn't the TERK 5x8 directly causing any interfernece. Because the CM Pre-amp is sitting in my room, I disconnected it from the HDTV setup in the basement and returned it upstairs to my 480i setup. I plugged the 'To TV' (antenna out) straight into the T-151 reciever and scrolled through the stations. PBS was still not coming in, and another issue which has arrose tonight is that CityTV isn't coming in and SunTV is becoming pixlated and not as reliable as I would like.

Hopefully, if yammmon has some time he can come over and get the crimps down properly on some of the rusting wire...
post #48 of 1748 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 10:23 PM
Veteran

Location: 300 Steelcase Road W, #20 Markham,905470 9604 ext 230
alebowgm are you saying that you took the output from the cm power amp from and put it straight into the samsung and you are having problems.

If so unplug the cm wait and then plug it back in as it may to need to reset, like what happened when we were there.

If so what signal strength are you getting on those weak channels as you were getting 9 before.

Definately if this is what you did then you would need to raise the antenna higher so that the lower bows clear the chimmney.

Maybe we can do this one day when wink wink is not home as I don't think they would notice it, you think ?

Does not make sense that you had good strong signals when I was there and now they are flaking out ?

CM4228/9521/7775;F.RmJvc70FH96/8300HDPvr/Dish 612;B.Rm LC52LE810UN/8642HD;Study LG50PK550/Xbox360;

post #49 of 1748 (permalink) Old 2005-10-26, 08:54 AM

Funny Thing,

I could never get CBC to come in even though I had about 65% on my ExpressVU 9200 it would always pixelate and then not come in.

I added a cheap $5 splitter to my line so i could also hook it up to my TV as it has a built in ATSC tuner.

The funny part is now it comes in just fine on my ExpressVU 9200 as well as the TV with even higher signal strength.

I guess I must have been overloading the tuner or something and the splitter attenuated the signal just enough to make it work.

Crispy
post #50 of 1748 (permalink) Old 2005-10-26, 01:31 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy
I guess I must have been overloading the tuner or something and the splitter attenuated the signal just enough to make it work.
Bingo! You got it. I didn't have any attenuators left one day so I put three splitters in cascade with terminator caps and it did the same thing - knocked about 6db off the signal and it was clean after that until I could get a 6db attenuator. My LG LST-4200a drops right down to zero on its signal strength meter if I mistakenly overdrive it. To me overdriving is like leaving all the burners on your stove lit up red hot all day. Something bad will happen...
post #51 of 1748 (permalink) Old 2005-10-27, 12:57 PM
Veteran

I currently am using a 3 way splitter one -3 db down to the family room that feed a Samsung 451 and then the loop out to the basement to another 451 and then loop out to my hd wonder in the study. All these signals are steady and strong.

Took one port of the -7db into the LG. The cable is 3 ' away from the power amp of the channel master in my bedroom.

Took the other -7db to the dish rec and noticed that on the dish receiover the signal percent went up on all channels vs a 2 way splitter by 7 to 8%.

Took another 2 way splitter terminated one end and hooked it to the dish rec some channels went up a few percent and some went down by 2-3 %.

Iam having problem on Pbs signal on dish rec as I can see the signal strength jumps around 68 to 88% and do get pixel drop out only on the Pbs channels.

If I insert another 4 way splitter instead of the 2nd 2 way splitter pbs signal drops to 78-80% and comes in steady but I end up losing Nbc, Sun, and Fox.

I left it with a 2nd two way splitter and use the LG for Pbs.

What I did notice before I closed the angle on the antenna's all the receivers would pull in Sun but the dish rec will go fluctuate 68% and then drop back to 49% no signal. If I jump off the channel and then back on maybe a few times it would lock in.

With the Sun now coming in at 78% it locks properly.

I wonder if there is any adjustment to set the threshold for the signal cut off. Anything below 50% on the dish receiver gets no signal.

CM4228/9521/7775;F.RmJvc70FH96/8300HDPvr/Dish 612;B.Rm LC52LE810UN/8642HD;Study LG50PK550/Xbox360;
post #52 of 1748 (permalink) Old 2005-10-27, 01:46 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Variable attenuators for testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaamon
I wonder if there is any adjustment to set the threshold for the signal cut off. Anything below 50% on the dish receiver gets no signal.
Radio Shack U.S.A. has a variable attenuator that you could use for your testing. When you find the right level, replace it with a regular attenuator: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

I don't know of one that operates on satellite frequencies, but if anyone does please let us know.
post #53 of 1748 (permalink) Old 2005-10-27, 05:19 PM
Veteran

I wonder how much can the radio shack attenuate the signal and how would you know what value to insert it with a fixed attenuator.

Why would you need one for satellite frequencies ? They use 950to 2150mhz.

post #54 of 1748 (permalink) Old 2005-10-27, 07:54 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
I wonder how much can the radio shack attenuate the signal and how would you know what value to insert it with a fixed attenuator.
Not sure how much, but when you get the right level you could remove the variable attenuator and measure it with an ohmeter to get the value needed for the fixed attenuator.
Quote:
Why would you need one for satellite frequencies ? They use 950to 2150mhz.
You're probably right about not needing a separate one but I just assumed that the variable attenuator was rated only for the TV/CATV frequencies. Its worth a try and the frequency shouldn't make a difference if its just a simple L-pad attenuator inside.
post #55 of 1748 (permalink) Old 2005-10-29, 05:22 PM
Veteran

DBS & OTA Signal Combining Help Needed * Update

Today, Yammon and I went out to try to remedy the issues described in the thread and I would like to share what we did.

The main thing learned today was re-cap the heads of the RG6 so there are no issues, as the major issues discussed with the DBS signalwere remedied (so odd transponders are once again working).

However, it appears the issue with the OTA is more severe and has left Yammon and I scratching our heads. To simplify matters, after we raised the antenna, so that the two lower UHF bows were no longer blocked (which saw a bit in the boost of the signal) we ran the line directly from the CM 4228 (and through the CM UHF Booster) into the Samsung T-151 reciever. While the majority of stations were reciving stunning reception (CBC was 10 bars, Fox,NBC,CBS,UPN(CBS),ABC,CTV,SunTV,CBCF were 7/8 bars), we appeared to have issues with both WNED PBS Buffalo (43-1/2/3) and CityTV (53-1). While we would recieve 5-7 bars in reception on WNED (which is strange, as both WNED and WUTV are broadcasting from the same tower on Grand Island and Fox has a lower kW), with severe pixlization. In contrast, CityTV was jumpy with signal strength comming in at 8 bars however continously dropping out. We spent numerous hours trying to peak strictly WNED and CityTV but to no avail.

At this point, it was decided to ignore the situation with WNED and CityTV and move on towards the multiswitch issue. Basically, we are left back to where we started. With the multiswitch enabled, there was only a 1-2 bar drop on stations, with the lowest being 6 bars (SunTV, as we were no longer paying attention to CityTV/WNED). This was acceptable, and as I ran the line directly into the reciever signal quality (as stated above) was strong. However, immediatly upon adding the Diplexer to the setup, SunTV as well as WIVB (4-1/3) dropped out while some stations such as WUTV or CBLT were still at 9 bars. Even with only one line connected to the BMS 58 Multiswitch, we were still experiencing drop outs. Unfortuantly, we didn't have any F-Terminators and only caps, so I can not comment if that will make a difference (may try that if I have time tommorow).

At this junction, we tried a new theory which we thought would work well. We removed the Antenna from the BMS58 and inserted it to a Nextech (Radioshack/Source) 5-2400 GHZ Goldplated 2 way splitter. One output was left empty while the other was connected to the antenna input on a diplexer, with the satellite input connected from the BMS-58 to the diplexer (a technique I was previously using with this same multiswitch to combine Cable/Satellite feed in one room so only one wire would need to be ran) and then diplexed that backout with a satellite and antenna feed. This led to severe loss of signal strength on numerous stations, including only 7 bars on CBC and 4 bars on WGRZ. We had thought that by doing this there would be a significant amount of less dB lost in the line however it appeared there was more.

Unfortuantly, at this point we were both frustrated, stumped and tired, as well as it being the weekend so we had other commitments, so we called it a day. However, I know it has left us both pondering in what direction to go. I want to be able to distribute the DBS signal to up to 8 rooms (well 6 with 2 spares that are not being presently used but already have the line ran), and want to do the same with the OTA-HDTV. Right now, I can physically swap the RG6 from DBS Reciever to OTA Reciever and perfectly recieve both the signals (excluding CityTV and WNED).

The only idea that we could come up with was...

Attempt to find a Terk Diplexer which is made specifically for Terk's.
Attempt to find a Dipelxer with a lower signal loss level
Connect a new OTA reciever in place of the Samsung T-151 (I believe Yammon will bring either his T-451 or LG 4200 next time.
We could go stampeders route and try the home distributor, however that will requrire all the feeds being indoors and I need an outdoor solution.

Obviously, the simple thing I want to get done is remedy the WNED and City TV issue. Does anyone have any insight as to what we could perhaps do? The antenna is picking up both NBC, FOX SunTV (NBC is the most extreme Eastern Station and middle UHF Frequency, Sun TV is the extreme Western as well as the highest UHF Frequency, FOX is the lowest UHF Frequency). I find it interesting that even though SunTV and CFTO broadcast at higher power, they are at lower elevation and while CityTV is at lower power and higher elevation, I can not see it (except for the occasional blip where is whos 7-9 bars (and I was able to pull the station in without dropouts, with my indoor antenna sitting on the roof outside the window)

Once that situation is taken care of, I can move onto the my multiswitch issue, however if the worest case scenario is that I will be required to hardwire the reciever every time I switch between the two, I will live with it.

Any ideas or conversation is greatly appreciated (and if we can perhaps not close this thread, or join this with the closed thread, that would be swell).
post #56 of 1748 (permalink) Old 2005-10-29, 05:42 PM
Veteran

Just an update,

It appears as if my Grand Island issues have switched. What I mean is, I just spent the last 10 minutes watching WNED flawlessly and now WUTV was having severe pixilization with a steady signal strength (in fact, signal is higher on Fox than on WNED). Being that both are coming from the same tower, I am wondering if anyone has ever experienced this issue before or is perhaps having the same issue with WNED and WUTV? I have not changed anything in regards to my setup.

CityTV is still M.I.A.

Thanx
post #57 of 1748 (permalink) Old 2005-10-29, 08:33 PM
Veteran

alebowgm I just came home and noticed that no signal on Fox ?

My City is working.

post #58 of 1748 (permalink) Old 2005-10-30, 12:35 AM
Veteran

The fox came back on about 30min later at full signal.

post #59 of 1748 (permalink) Old 2005-10-30, 01:19 AM
Veteran

You were not getting a signal on Fox?

I am going to go check soon and see what is happening right now. It was weird, it sorta appears that if I pull in WUTV, WNED is pixalated, and if I pull in WNED, WUTV is pixilated...

At least that was what was going on earlier...
post #60 of 1748 (permalink) Old 2005-10-30, 09:42 AM
Veteran

Fox was out for about 30mins not sure how long before it was out but there was 0 signal on the receivers.

But the signal is now back and stable.

Tags
antenna , dtv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.