Splitters, Attenuators, Filters, Diplexers, Other Signal Gear - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 1739 (permalink) Old 2005-09-28, 10:09 PM

Do you know what the insertion loss is? It could affect your overall gain -- from antenna to receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1739 (permalink) Old 2005-09-29, 12:17 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrac
What are you going to use to combine the 4221 with the 4228?

FOX should be the easiest to get -- it's on Grand Island, where NBC is in the south=south east of Buffalo.
Its funny you say that. For the time being, I am currently using an Indoor Nextech Antenna, and I can pull in everything except Fox from Buffalo (obviously no TBN or WB as well). Even if I pull in PBS, I can not get FOX, and they are braodcasting from the same tower on Grand Island...
post #33 of 1739 (permalink) Old 2005-09-29, 01:15 AM
Q
Veteran

I have some chepo phillips indoor antenna and I can pull all the nets and pbs and cbc. Can't get WB though. Fox comes in strong for me however NBC is weak. Some days it works some days it doesn't.

No matter how much i rotate the darn thing I can't get CityHD though.

I use it often to record ABC, FOX and CBS shows.

post #34 of 1739 (permalink) Old 2005-09-29, 12:00 PM
Veteran

Location: 300 Steelcase Road W, #20 Markham,905470 9604 ext 230
intrac I'am not sure about the loss. I know when I was on the roof and lined up the 4228 and say got 10 bars on a station and then inserted it through the combiner/splitter the signal bar went down one bar on the Samsung 451.

After I connected back the other side of the combiner to the 4221 then that signal went back up to where it was before as a direct connection.

Currently all my stations comes in 10 out of 10 on the Samsung except Sun/Toronto 1 that comes in at 7 bars.

I used the smaller 4221 to get max signal for Fox. If I move the antenna to get Toronto 1 at 10 bars then Fox drops to 7 to 8 and I prefer a stronger signal from Fox.

CM4228/9521/7775;F.RmJvc70FH96/8300HDPvr/Dish 612;B.Rm LC52LE810UN/8642HD;Study LG50PK550/Xbox360;
post #35 of 1739 (permalink) Old 2005-09-29, 12:47 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoe
I have some chepo phillips indoor antenna and I can pull all the nets and pbs and cbc. Can't get WB though. Fox comes in strong for me however NBC is weak. Some days it works some days it doesn't.

No matter how much i rotate the darn thing I can't get CityHD though.

I use it often to record ABC, FOX and CBS shows.
See it's funny how you can get WUTV-DT from Buffalo and not CityHD from Toronto where as I am the other way around, no matter how much I rotate or peak the PBS and switch to WUTV, I just can't get it, where CityHD comes in rather easily...
post #36 of 1739 (permalink) Old 2005-09-29, 01:21 PM
Q
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebowgm
See it's funny how you can get WUTV-DT from Buffalo and not CityHD from Toronto where as I am the other way around, no matter how much I rotate or peak the PBS and switch to WUTV, I just can't get it, where CityHD comes in rather easily...
On top of that. I just have it sitting on top of my huge wall unit (the ones built for big screens).

For the (I think) $29.99 I spent at walmart to get the thing to play it turned out really really good.

I actually couldn't care less about getting CityTVHD but I like when I get all these HD channels for free.
post #37 of 1739 (permalink) Old 2005-09-29, 01:38 PM
Veteran

Don't blame you. Unfortuantly for me, the TV I am stuck using it on right now is a small 13inch 480i RCA TV. I am getting a CM 4221 or 4228, with the help of Yammon, which should be able to pull everything in from my location. The TV I want to hook up everything to is in the basement, where it is pretty much in the wall, and when I tried getting signals in the basement, CBC and CTV were iffy at best, so for the time being, I will stick to the 2nd floor TV...
post #38 of 1739 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 04:33 PM
Veteran

DBS & OTA Signal Combining Help Needed

Hey,

Today, with the help of DHC's Yammon, we went and installed a CM 4228 Antenna at my residence, for my Samsung SIR T-151 reciever. One issue which has arrose, which I would like to get resolved but it is not immediate, is that I am having some frequency issues. Presently, attached to the house is a DirecTV Phase III Satellite dish, which is not presently being used except for the Free Music Stations provided from DirecTV. The 4 lines that run from the Phase3 are inserted into a TERK BMS 5-8 multiswitch, with 7 lines running throughout the house. The concept that I came up with, and we installed too, was that to just add the CM 4228 feed into the Antenna Input of the BMS 5-8, so it would distribute throughout the house (with the power being inserted by the CM 7775 Titan2 UHF Preamplifier inserted prior to the signal coming into the multiswitch (as for whatever reason, the Power was not passing through the antenna input). With a line connected directly to any satellite reciever, all Transponders are fine. When the antenna is plugged directly into the BMS 5-8 all stations come in as well (depending on how far away from the BMS 5-8, some stations have some signal loss), This is, when unfortuantly, Yammon had to leave (as I had an appoitnment I was late for). This is when the issue arrose, as when I use a diplexer, so that both the satellite and SIR-T151 reciever everything begins to act funny, as I lose some stations (SunTV, WIVB/CBS and WNED/PBS). Additionally, only some of the even transponders appear to have signal, as the odd transponders kick out.

I was using the Eagle Aspen D-2000LX Diplexer, as I know it had worked in the past (was previously using it to combine satellite and cable signal and then split it again on the other side of the room so there was only one cable being ran), and I figured the reason it was not working was because the Eagle Aspen dipelxers use a frequency range of 950/2050 MHZ and 5-860 MHZ where as the Terk BMS 5-8 is using a frequency range of 950- 2150 MHz, 54- 806 MHz . So I ran over to The Source, by Circuit City and grabbed a Nextech 2x1 5-2450 MHZ Splitter. I figured this would do the trick, as it is lower than the 54 MHZ and higher than the 2150MHZ. However, same issue, channels dropped out and I lost some transponders.

So now I am confused and not so sure what I should do. How can I get a signal for both the satellite and the antenna to work? Is it possible (and it is a hypothesis I have), that ATSC signals are at a higher frequncy than the designed 5-900 MHZ frequency used for NTSC, and therefore the two signals are interfering with each other? Perhaps I am required to get a Terk BMS 21, but I would rather not have to special order a dipexer to fit that range...

Anyone with any knowledge or ideas would be of great use...

Thank you,

alebowgm
post #39 of 1739 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 04:37 PM
Veteran

One additional thing for those reading who are not in the GTA, even though CBS, PBS and SunTV are all on higher frequencies than 39 on the UHF (CBS is 39), both City TV (53) and CFTO (40) come in...
post #40 of 1739 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 04:42 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Sounds like a simple case of signal strength having dropped.

Each time you add connectors/splitters or other such gear you lose decibels of signal across the spectrum and usually across all connections. It's like putting more and more y-connectors and hoses off of a single garden water hose - eventually there's not even enough pressure to work a sprinkler.

I would suggest going with a wide-spectrum distribution amplifier. You can ask Yaamon for his help with that, and there are other DHCers in your area like HDTV101 who will know exactly what you require.
post #41 of 1739 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 05:05 PM
Veteran

So, what if I perhaps disconnected all of the other lines coming towards the recievers and had only 1 DBS/OTA feed, even though it is an 5x8 port? Would that perhaps help to relieve the issue?

I dont see how one would affect the other though, different frequencies...
post #42 of 1739 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 07:57 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Nothing in the problem you've described is about frequencies.

The way you've got things connnected, all of the signals in the VHF/UHF bands are coming down the exact same pipeline as the Satellite signals, and each of the splits in the pipeline has a signal strength penalty. How can all those signals be coming down the same pipeline at once? Simple, they're at different frequencies so they don't collide or affect eachother. Period. Since you're losing signal on all of them, this clearly shows that the number of outputs/splits is draining too much signal strength for your layout. Since the solution is simply to boost the signal, FORGET about frequencies in your particular situation.

You asked about disconnecting other items from that pipeline, and that is an excellent idea for getting back signal, but it means all those other lines become useless. If that's okay with you, go to a store and buy enough CATV Terminators to cap off the unused connections unless the splitter/switch documentation says you don't need them. If you're not sure, cap them anyways.

Also, you asked if NTSC has different frequencies than ATSC. The answer is no, they co-exist on the exact same frequency bands.

Again, nothing in the problem you've described is about frequencies. This is a simple signal strength problem, and a distribution amplifier will fix it.
post #43 of 1739 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 08:01 PM
Veteran

OK, well I went out and disconnected all of the DirecTV dishes, except the one I am trying to use the diplexer with, and even still with the diplexer I am losing signals and transponders...

Is it possible I need to use a Terk Diplexer for the Terk Mulitswitch? I just have a feeling that perhaps the range isnt proper...
post #44 of 1739 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 08:07 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebowgm
OK, well I went out and disconnected all of the DirecTV dishes, except the one I am trying to use the diplexer with, and even still with the diplexer I am losing signals and transponders...
Actually its the connections downstream that you want to disconnect, not the various inputs. Try leaving all dish/antenna input stuff connected, but then disconnect all but one of the indoor downstream output lines right at where they come off the diplexer/switch/gizmo. On the one remaining receiver watch the signal strength meter and see if it rose.

The next thing to bear in mind is that you no longer need any diplexers anymore on any of your output lines because the Terk multiswitch is also a diplexer. All lines coming out of it will carry satellite and antenna. Therefore adding another diplexer below is not only redundant but it costs you valuable signal strength.

I'm going to go over the whole scenario now so that we've got it right:

Connect all dishes and antenna leads to the Terk multiswitch. Connect only one satellite receiver and one ATSC tuner as separate downleads. This means 6 of the 8 downleads will be disconnected at this point. Observe the signal strength on both the sat and ATSC meters. One by one reconnect downleads, noting the signal strength each time. If after adding a few the meters are noticeably dropping, you should also check to see if any previously received channels are dropping off. If that starts to happen, there is no point in doing any further tests because you have a classic signal strength problem and need to replace the Terk with a distribution amplifier that can keep the signal up nice and strong to all connections.

Let us know how it goes.
post #45 of 1739 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 08:14 PM
Veteran

Location: 300 Steelcase Road W, #20 Markham,905470 9604 ext 230
stampeder I know some his connections going to the terk was very bad.

Some were corroded and some as soon as you gave it a slight tug the connections came off.

I showed him a few cables that there was no ground wires after the connector fell off.

We recrimped some of his cables for him. I told him before we left he has to restrip and recrimp all the connections.

CM4228/9521/7775;F.RmJvc70FH96/8300HDPvr/Dish 612;B.Rm LC52LE810UN/8642HD;Study LG50PK550/Xbox360;

Tags
antenna , dtv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.