Splitters, Attenuators, Filters, Diplexers, Other Signal Gear - Page 117 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1741 of 1748 (permalink) Old 2017-11-04, 05:09 PM
Veteran

It's probably a FILTER....and the Cable Tech would use a SPECIAL TOOL to remove it. Fol. TOOL is "probably" what is used to remove it [unless it is designed to use some other type TOOL:
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Securit.../dp/B00NGZGQRW

1) Filter could be a PASS BAND FILTER which only allows Internet Freqs to pass....so you can't watch regular TV...ONLY ON THAT PORT...which begs the questions as to why it wasn't attached to Splitter INPUT so it blocks watching TV on ALL ports....

OR:

2) Filter PASSES ALL CATV Freqs (up thru 860 or 1002 MHz, depending on your CATV System) and BLOCKS the higher MOCA Freqs used for Multi-Room DVR's and User Owned File Servers (i.e. PC or Network Attached Storage Device) to DLNA Player Devices (i.e. DTV and/or BD/UD-Player).

Antenna Simulations, Overload Calculations, etc: http://imageevent.com/holl_ands
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1748 (permalink) Old 2017-11-04, 05:58 PM
Veteran

further, if internet only service, why would they install a splitter at all??
incoming cable should just go directly to the modem, shouldn't it?
Around here, for Internet + TV they also used a 3 way splitter with the modem connected to the -3.5 dB down port,
and the TVs to the -7 dB down port. Later, when I got my own modem, I put my own 4 way splitter in instead,
and ran two modems (mine for data plus theirs for voice) and two TVs, so all are equal -7 dB down now.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #1743 of 1748 (permalink) Old 2017-11-04, 06:13 PM

The splitter was added due to line signals levels too high for the modem spec. However, this attached component doesn't look like a filter used to block certain frequencies, since there is no way to attach coax cable to it. Its threaded probably for attaching the removal tool only. Given this, can it be a hack component, like traffic mirroring? Or its a noise (return path) filter on an unused splitter connector?

post #1744 of 1748 (permalink) Old 2017-11-04, 07:23 PM
Veteran

I guess I am confused why your photo shows a splitter and the filter standalone sitting on a table or sumthin. Take a picture of exactly what you have in YOUR installation now and post a picture of it as is.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #1745 of 1748 (permalink) Old 2017-11-04, 07:34 PM

Its just one cable in, 2 out - the whole installation. This component reminds me a G-trap or noise trap, but inside there are no visible locking elements one can use to remove it.

Last edited by arnyc; 2017-11-04 at 08:21 PM.
post #1746 of 1748 (permalink) Old 2017-11-07, 12:28 PM
Veteran

Open terminator. Its purpose is to prevent unauthorized connection to a coax port, in this case the 3.5dB port, because that signal is too hot to reliably use for anything. 7dB is enough attenuation of the signal.
post #1747 of 1748 (permalink) Old 2017-11-08, 01:01 PM

It's a coax security lock/terminator as "classicsat" indicated.

If you look down inside the open hole, you'll probably see two notches on opposite sides. If so, you can make a removal tool out of an old metal 4-prong fork (Google it). Just make sure that you don't use one out of the "good" set of dinnerware.

Antennas Direct Tech Support
post #1748 of 1748 (permalink) Old 2017-11-08, 01:06 PM

As mentioned above, a classic locking terminator. If you don't intend to use this spigot on the splitter, leave the terminator on to prevent signal leakage. Signal leakage (from cable TV systems) is tested for by both the cable company and the government, to prevent interference with licensed radio services. If leakage at your home is detected, a cable tech will eventually visit to investigate.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR

Tags
antenna , dtv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.