Signal Amplifiers (Amps, Preamps, Distro Amps) - Page 58 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #856 of 4157 (permalink) Old 2009-05-06, 09:09 PM
Veteran

fitsintite,

I must be doing something wrong with my GE amp then...

I assume it increased FOX by 15% also...then maybe all you need is something with a little stronger gain...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #857 of 4157 (permalink) Old 2009-05-06, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balm View Post
fitsintite,

I must be doing something wrong with my GE amp then...

I assume it increased FOX by 15% also...then maybe all you need is something with a little stronger gain...
Hi balm,

I have 80 feet of cable between the antenna with GE amp and the second amplifier.

I tried putting the power injector before the second amp after the 80 foot cable and both TVs blacked out, guess that's overload, so I installed a power outlet in the attic and plugged the power injector close to the antenna.

I don't get Fox, 0 signal
post #858 of 4157 (permalink) Old 2009-05-06, 09:27 PM
Veteran

thats's effectively the way i tried it...

does that make sense that where the power injector goes in the line causes such a difference in signal amplification/or loss...I would understand the importance of the location of the amp itself (cylinder), being close to the antenna, so less amping of line noise...
post #859 of 4157 (permalink) Old 2009-05-06, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balm View Post
thats's effectively the way i tried it...

does that make sense that where the power injector goes in the line causes such a difference in signal amplification/or loss...I would understand the importance of the location of the amp itself (cylinder), being close to the antenna, so less amping of line noise...
Balm,

What happened when you tried the GE, did you loose all signals?

Thanks
post #860 of 4157 (permalink) Old 2009-05-06, 09:39 PM
Veteran

Basically, yes, or they ALL became very UNSTABLE!

BTW, your Fox problem is strange, without any amp, I never have a problem with FOX...im wondering if has more to do with your exact location...
post #861 of 4157 (permalink) Old 2009-05-06, 09:54 PM

It is strange because 3-1 comes in at 100% and 33-1 at 79%

Must have ghosts in the Attic
post #862 of 4157 (permalink) Old 2009-05-06, 10:04 PM
Rookie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL View Post
Hi Jtag and welcome to the forum!

Since you're in Laval, you're due North of the Mt. Royal transmitters. To aim at Mt. Mansfield, you must aim mostly South, also towards Mt. Royal. There's a couple of 1 MW analog transmitters there. If you're seeing overload, it's probably from that and not from WCAX.

STL
After I checked with SA, there are two "monster" analog stations 17(~491MHz) and 35 (~599MHz) that saturate my MC7777 preamp. The difference between TQ (17) and a digital station is about 50dB. Also channels 10 and 12 are strong but are in VHF. I will post also SA screen capture.
post #863 of 4157 (permalink) Old 2009-05-06, 11:50 PM
Rookie

I`m using the addison 20dB variable gain amplifier. It boosts the signal of every one of my HD channels in Montreal by 1 or 2 bars of the signal meter of my Samsung. Unfortunately, I still don`t get Fox either using a DIY or a 4 bay clone.
post #864 of 4157 (permalink) Old 2009-05-07, 12:09 AM
EdT

balm: which antenna dealer was this ?, I can understand what he was trying to say, since an amp would overload most of the local stations, but did you tell him it was for the US fringe channels ?

Anyone what a bargain for the GE in-line amps ?, PM me I have two new one in blister packs I need to get rid of ...LoL

cheap guy: those distro amps from Addisions are from Provo, it doesn't state the dB noise level which I am sure is over 6dB making them totally useless. The increase in signal strength you see on those bars are actually higher noise levels rather than clean signal strength.
post #865 of 4157 (permalink) Old 2009-05-07, 07:18 AM
Veteran

Quote:
balm: which antenna dealer was this ?, I can understand what he was trying to say, since an amp would overload most of the local stations, but did you tell him it was for the US fringe channels ?
they recommend 2 different antennas, one pointing at Manfield, the other at Mt-Royal!....dont forget they dont support all the DYI versions!
post #866 of 4157 (permalink) Old 2009-05-08, 05:52 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtag View Post
After I checked with SA, there are two "monster" analog stations 17(~491MHz) and 35 (~599MHz) that saturate my MC7777 preamp. The difference between TQ (17) and a digital station is about 50dB. Also channels 10 and 12 are strong but are in VHF.
post #867 of 4157 (permalink) Old 2009-05-08, 07:14 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by peano View Post
What happens if I plug my second 4228 into the VHF input of the 7777 preamp?

Would it amplify the UHF band at all on that port? I am trying to avoid the loss of a splitter and two extra connections.
As you later discovered, it won't help. The VHF port will filter out all UHF channels (and vice-verse).
post #868 of 4157 (permalink) Old 2009-05-09, 10:07 AM

Question Antennacraft 10G201 an alternative to the Winegard HDP 269?

I am looking for a low gain high input level antenna pre-amp to overcome the losses in my distribition system but I am also looking for something to kill the 10to 20 dB above nearby TV channel FM signals.

I know that the Winegard HDP 269 is a favourite but unfortunately it does not include a FM Trap (something that is for some reason becoming harder to find at a reasonable price).

The 10G201 from Antennacraft appears to be a good alternative to the HDP 269 and it includes a switchable FM Trap.

I have emailed Antennacraft with a few questions including a figure that they could attach to "High Input Level Capacity".

Here are the 10-G201's specs
  • 75 Ohm Input / Output
  • Mast Mounted with Indoor Power Supply
  • Gain: VHF 16 dB, UHF 22 dB
  • Low Noise: < 3.0 dB VHF, < 2.5 dB UHF
  • High Input Level Capacity
  • Switchable FM Trap
  • Internal RF Shielding
Here are the HDP 269's
  • Input: 75 ohm / 82 channel
  • Output: 75 ohm / 82 channel
  • Average Gain: 12dB / 82 channel
  • Average Noise: 3dB
  • Power Requirement: Current usage is 60 mA @ +12 VDC
  • Total Input UHF/VHF: 350,000 micro-volts
Anyone with experience with this pre-amp?

Last edited by stampeder; 2009-05-09 at 11:12 AM. Reason: retail pricing not allowed by rules of the forum outside of shopping forums
post #869 of 4157 (permalink) Old 2009-05-09, 06:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamKat View Post
I am looking for a low gain high input level antenna pre-amp to overcome the losses in my distribition system but I am also looking for something to kill the 10to 20 dB above nearby TV channel FM signals.
High Input Level Capacity=?

Check AP-8700.
post #870 of 4157 (permalink) Old 2009-05-11, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I have emailed Antennacraft with a few questions including a figure that they could attach to "High Input Level Capacity".
Here is the feedback from Antennacraft

What is the highest input level that this amplifier can handle (e.g -20dBm) VHF = -10 dBm, UHF = -22 dBm (-44 DPL)

Will the FM trap reduce ability to receive a weak channel 6?

Because Ch. 6 is directly adjacent to the FM band, there's a slight drop-off in gain with the FM trap active.

Tags
amplifier , dtv , ota , preamp , signal strength

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.