Signal Amplifiers (Amps, Preamps, Distro Amps) - Page 287 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #4291 of 4296 (permalink) Old 2017-01-12, 04:09 PM

Well, maybe pictures are better than trying to describe things.

As you can see I've got the 4221HD on a pole that's attached to the chimney. Cable runs down the side of the house, then across the basement to the opposite corner where I terminate all of the connections. From there, it's runs across the basement again to get to the living room and up two floors via the cold air return to get to the master bedroom. The last pic shows me looking southeast towards the CN Tower.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4292 of 4296 (permalink) Old 2017-01-12, 04:37 PM

For some reason I can't see your pictures. Where are the pre-amp and power inserter?

Do you have the coax shield grounded with a grounding block? If not, that's an essential safety change you should make, with your antenna being outdoors, and it will likely improve your signals.

Unfortunately, like so many in that area you are handicapped by the flame-thrower called the CN Tower. I'm surprised you have ever got 2.1 with it being only 7 degrees off the Tower.
post #4293 of 4296 (permalink) Old 2017-01-12, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Attached is the fm fool report (weird that I couldn't get a link for the report like the tv fool one
FMFool doesn't have that feature, you have to use an image.

post #4294 of 4296 (permalink) Old 2017-01-12, 07:48 PM

The preamp is installed right on the mast where the antenna is mounted with about 3-4 ft of coax between them. The power is connected back inside the house about 80-100 ft away. The coax is also grounded to the house's main ground as well.

Lobo
post #4295 of 4296 (permalink) Old 2017-01-12, 11:27 PM

Well, you seem to have everything set up properly. One thing you should check is whether the HDP 269 is actually receiving power. Normally, if a pre-amp is not being powered, no signal passes through it and the lack of power is obvious, but the HDP 269 is an exception - it passes quite a bit of signal even when not powered. I know this because I have one, and once forgot to reconnect the power supply. I was most surprised to see I still got most of my strong local stations (but not the weaker ones). You do have it's power inserter closer to the antenna than the distribution amp? Just a thought!

Channel 33 (2.1) at -17.9 dB noise margin could never be received at that signal strength. You would need an antenna with at least about 18 dB gain to be able to decode it (and the gain of yours is rather less than that). This means you can only receive it when you have above-average propagation conditions (some degree of tropospheric enhancement). These enhanced conditions typically do not occur very frequently in winter, so you're never going to get that station reliably. You could try a higher-gain antenna (like the 91 XG) - or even a stacked pair of them - to give you reception more often, but it still won't be enough to bring it in reliably.
post #4296 of 4296 (permalink) Old 2017-01-14, 10:07 AM

Hey DXer, yes I can confirm that the preamp is receiving power. I've verified that signals do degrade when I've turned the power off.

So I think that I'll likely get a newer preamp in the spring/summer and maybe play around with putting my DB8 back up again. I think the 4221HD gives me better pickup of CFTO since it's VHF only because the DB8 sometimes was hit and miss but I could be remembering wrong. I do know that CHCH (11.1) comes in better with the 4221HD because of the side lobes picking it up. Personally I doubt the wife would let me get away with a 91 XG...I think it was a stretch even getting the DB8 up there one day.

Lobo

Tags
amplifier , dtv , ota , preamp , signal strength

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.