ATSC Converter Boxes (Non-HD, Non-Recording) - Page 70 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1036 of 1037 (permalink) Old 2013-01-06, 01:14 PM

Hi. Just an update. I used a splitter, one to the TV and one to the RCA unit. I did not want to split it at first because I was worried about Global 29-1 getting snowy.It works well now and the RCA does not interfere with the TV. One minor problem. Instead of the RCA outputting on CH3/4 with the antenna coax to the Toshiba DVD recorder, I used the Video/AudioL/R cable for a better picture but it wont pass the analog CH42 CTV now. I guess Ill just have use the coax. I wish Canada would get its act together and get everything digital!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1037 of 1037 (permalink) Old 2013-01-08, 04:19 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyjohn View Post
The converter video out is hooked up to the DVD recorder with the a video/L/R audio cable instead of CH3 or 4 .The instruction book says this is an option, but has no mention of it affecting the tv.
You would do this if your TV doesn't have an ATSC tuner so that you can use the digital box as a tuner and the RF modulate the signal it tunes onto ch3 or 4 if your TV doesn't have AV inputs.

Quote:
I figured the antenna in/out on the converter acts like a splitter just like the DVD recorder antenna in/outs did.
No, it acts like a switch. Most likely your DVD recorder didn't have an RF modulator, and thus just split the signal for the output. FYI, some DTV boxes don't have a switch but instead will always block the signals from "passing through" (units that have the switch have a feature called "analog pass through").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyjohn View Post
One minor problem. Instead of the RCA outputting on CH3/4 with the antenna coax to the Toshiba DVD recorder, I used the Video/AudioL/R cable for a better picture but it wont pass the analog CH42 CTV now. I guess Ill just have use the coax.
Use both coax and AV connectors and use Video in for recording digital channels and the coax for recording the analog ones. Just make sure the digital box is off when recording in analog to prevent it from blocking the signals. Alternately you could use a 3-way splitter, but you will get additional signal loss that way.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.

Tags
dtv converter , edtv , hdtv converter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.