ATSC Converter Boxes (Non-HD, Non-Recording) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 1037 (permalink) Old 2003-02-26, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus
The list price is $499 US, although I'm not sure what price you can get it from in stores.
As a point of reference, a new Samsung SIRT-151 sells for US$349 and the comparable Zenith HDV420 (which I own) sells for US$339 at jandr. Plus shipping and taxes at the border, of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 1037 (permalink) Old 2003-02-28, 09:45 PM

First impression of the SIR T-151

It appears to be a bit more sensitive than the 6000 module. I was picking up channel 66 from Toronto which recently has been giving me problems, and in fact was very intermittent just a few minutes prev with the 6000. Also seems to be much less sensitive to multipath than the 6000. All my stations had far fewer breakups than the 6000 ever had. I might even convince my wife to watch HD OTA rather than watch what BEV is showing :
Overall I would say I'm pleased with the performance with the Samsung. I'll try it out for a few more weeks and if I decide to keep it I'll have to sell my 6000 OTA module.
post #18 of 1037 (permalink) Old 2004-07-12, 10:02 PM

CityTV HD causes my Samsung SIR T151 to reboot

I know there is new firmware that solves this issue, does anybody have it?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Phaedrus

post #19 of 1037 (permalink) Old 2004-11-15, 10:00 PM
Bam

There seems to be a lot of the Samsung t-151 around and on ebay. I have one and it works very well and I’m very happy with its performance
post #20 of 1037 (permalink) Old 2004-11-15, 10:05 PM
Bam

Samsung t-151 with internal hard drive ?

I opened up my Samsung t-151 and discovered something interesting about it. There is mount inside it for a hard drive and there is a hard drive power and IDE buss connection on the main board. It looks like Samsung was planning on making it have Tivo like functions with a built in hard drive however I never could find anything out about this. Anyone have any idea?
Be great if we could make it run as a HD PVR !
post #21 of 1037 (permalink) Old 2004-11-19, 10:46 PM

Samsung ATSC Tuners Thread

The Samsung SIR-T451 is the new replacement for the 351. I decided to wait for the 451 after reading many reviews about the problems with the 351. Also the price point of the 451 ($249) was $100 cheaper than the MSRP for the 351. I had to do some searching for an online store that had it in stock (US based of course). In early October Best Buy in the US had limited availability in many places and they wouldn't ship to Canada from their on-line store. If BB in Buffalo has them in stock now that's great.

The unit is small (smaller than a dvd player) and the remote and menu functions are clear and easy to operate. Tons of output options both cables (composite, component and DVI) and signal (480 through 1080) so that it can be used in almost any configuration. Also you do not need an HDTV television to watch the output. If you go to the US Samsung website you can actually view a pdf of the manual.

For those of you planning your own home cable system like mine (see post above) the box passes the analog signal so you can route the coax output from the 451 to your TV. This way I watch the digital signal through my component inputs (AV 1 source) and the analog signals on the ANT source setting. My hardware (DVD, TV and now the 451) are all Samsung and they work well together.

The only problem I have noted that it sometime reboots itself when it is trying to lock onto channel 43-2. But it is so rare that it doesn't bother me. One other plus is that the warranty is Canada / US so that if it breaks down I can bring it in for service here in Toronto (even though they don't sell them in Canada - go figure). I'm happy so far.
post #22 of 1037 (permalink) Old 2004-12-06, 09:39 PM

351 problems?

what problems with the 351?
post #23 of 1037 (permalink) Old 2004-12-08, 07:42 PM

Lightbulb 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsspredator
It sounds like your setup works well for you, thats great.

How do you like the 451? I have a 151 and I saw the 451 in Buffalo at CC for $249 and was thinking about making the purchase.
I just bought a 151 on ebay with no owners manual any tips for using it properly would be appreciated

samsung 151
terk 55 outside
sony surround
benq 6200 projector
100" screen

I'm located in Fonthill ont.
abc stable
nbc stable
fox stable
cbc stable
upn stable
no pbs
no wb
post #24 of 1037 (permalink) Old 2004-12-08, 09:31 PM

It sounds like your unit is working fine.

Punch in 43. WNED has one of the best signals.

Also, if you are in Fonthill try 34, 50, 16, 58.
post #25 of 1037 (permalink) Old 2005-02-22, 09:19 AM

I live in Windsor and get NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX WB, UPN and PBS all great. I do loose a little here and there as I'm directly in the city and have buildings near me. But it's not too often I have problems.

From "Tomato Town" you'll also get plenty of Toledo stations as well. You'll need a rotor however. You and I live in a great part of the country to receive digital OTA.

I have a Samsung SRT-151 (look on ebay for a cheap one probably around $200) and a used roof-top antenna, I don't know what the proper name of the antenna is but if you look at a house near you I'm sure it's 99.9 percent the same as mine. I noticed a lot of antennas in your area are on high masts so that's an extra cost. But you'll pay just a one time up front fee and that's it for ever.

I LOVE digital tv.

Look in the phone book under antenna or satellite and you'll find a few installers. If you need anymore info just ask.

Here's a pic of mine.

Last edited by buritto; 2005-02-22 at 09:23 AM.
post #26 of 1037 (permalink) Old 2005-02-22, 02:54 PM

I have an omni directional and where I live it is utterly useless. I gave it to my inlaws who have a house on the water in Belleriver and it works like a charm.

With those omni directional antennas you need to be in a sweet location with no obstructions.

For OTA you'll need an HDTV ( I assume you have one already) and a ATSC tuner assuming yuor HDTV does not have one built in. If there is an ATSDC tuner built in then jsut hook up an antenna and off you go.

Do yourself a favour and get a proper out door antenna with a rotor for a one time fee and enjoy the free tv
post #27 of 1037 (permalink) Old 2005-02-24, 12:33 PM

Arrow

Pick up an OTA HDTV receiver such as the Samsung SRT-151 mentioned previously. Connect it up to the TV using component or DVI video and RCA audio or digital audio to a surround sound receiver. Then take your neighbor'a "big antenna" connection, remove it from the back of the TV and connect it to the antenna input of the OTA HDTV receiver. This should work. If it does not then look into getting a small tower or mast with UHF/VHF antenna and rotor. If some stations do not come in, high quality antenna mounted amplifier may help. The antennas for regular TV and HDTV/digital are the same.
post #28 of 1037 (permalink) Old 2005-02-24, 09:33 PM

all i know is i want my HDTV!!!

Got a nice 53 inch panasonic and I haven't gotten my monies worth out of it

So is the concensus that the Samsung 151 the 'receiver' to get or is there a specific reason why you want that one over others?

I have a home theater so anything other that optical is not an option and I'd like to have the option of getting the 'best' picture quality in terms of proper cables and such...which I assume is DVi

Are Bell receivers anygood? Not that I want a Bell receiver, but maybe I can get one of those instead....

Again, I just want something better than average/very good....
post #29 of 1037 (permalink) Old 2005-02-24, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viro

Are Bell receivers anygood?
3 reasons to get the Samsung over Bell (Echostar):

1) Less prone to effects of multipath. Multipath causes ghosts with analog, it can cause zero ATSC reception

2) Stand alone STB's like the Samsung do not have to be hooked up to sat dishes

3) When Bell receivers lose sat signal, the OTA signal is lost as well
post #30 of 1037 (permalink) Old 2005-02-25, 09:16 AM

The Samsung 151 only has component inputs as to whether DVI is better that's a whole other battle. It may seem like the receiver to go because it's been around for a while and is cheap when you buy it used.

In all honesty I would not go with any provider since you can get half the HD stations for free due to location. The other half are HD in name only, however there are HD PPV movies and such with the providers.

Of course there's always DirecTv But that's a whole other battle.

Tags
dtv converter , edtv , hdtv converter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.