OTA Rotors: Channel Master, Yaesu, Hy-Gain, AlfaSpid, Others - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-05-28, 08:20 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

No, I don't know of any that have antenna positioner controls like some FTA satellite systems do for dishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-05-28, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
Do you have the RS catalogue number for the digital box?
Remote Rotator Controller with Infrared Signal
$54.99
Model: 15-1213
Catalog #: 15-1213

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
post #48 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-05-28, 08:32 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

I tried plugging 1501213 into The Source's web page with no luck.

post #49 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-05-29, 11:28 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV101
The US Radio Shack does sell the digital control box with remote for another $54.99US so maybe the Source will do the same?
Out of curiosity I went to The Source a couple weeks ago and they said that they do not sell the digital control box.

On a related note, a few years a go my parents’ neighbour’s house (in BC) was being demolished and they had antenna with a rotor on the roof and I asked my dad if he could salvage the rotor for me (should I ever decide to switch to a directional antenna) so I now have a rotor but no controller. I had a look at it and I can't see a make or model number on it, but it looks like the Channel Master. My questions are:
  1. Is there an easy way for me to test if it works or not?
  2. Should I bother keeping it, or would I be better off getting a new one should I ever need it (i.e. how reliable are they)?
post #50 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-05-31, 01:51 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818
  1. Is there an easy way for me to test if it works or not?
  2. Should I bother keeping it, or would I be better off getting a new one should I ever need it (i.e. how reliable are they)?
I wish I could give you a definitive answer to number 2, but it depends on whether you can test it. Check through HDTV101's prior posts about rotors and you'll find great info on rotor wiring - without a controller for it you are dead in the water, as far as I know.
post #51 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-05-31, 09:34 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Thanks for the response. I had previously looked through HDTV101's prior posts (I read this entire thread before posting), but it doesn't seem obvious how I could test it without a controller. I guess I will just keep it for now. Maybe sometime when I am in the US, I will stop off at a Radio Shack and pick up a digital control box (unless someone knows of a better source).

There really is no rush, as I doubt if I will be able to convince my wife to let me get the current antenna out of the attic any time soon, let alone replace it with a directional antenna. I should start a thread on this.
post #52 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-05-31, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

You can't really test it without the control box... it's not a standard AC or DC motor. It's a Phase Shift AC motor. All 3 wires are used to drive it... one is common and the other 2 are the phase wires. Between the 2 phase wires there is a phase shift... by reversing the 2 phase wires the motor will reverse. This is the most practical way to make an AC motor reversible. The same technique is used with Elevators and Escalators to reverse their motors that are AC powered.
post #53 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-06-01, 09:40 AM
Veteran

Thanks HDTV101. That makes sence. As I said earlier, I will probably keep it for now. It doesn't take up that much space and it may be useful one day.
post #54 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-08-02, 11:59 AM

Rotors on sale again for $89.99 at The Source

The re-branded Channel Master rotors are on sale again for $89.99 at The Source (sale ends August 27th).

http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Pr...roduct=1501245

Oakville, ON - Cogeco Digital Cable and Internet
post #55 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-08-04, 01:09 PM
AMD

Montreal: Looking for CM9251a Rotor Dealer

Hi,

I am new to the board here and I just read a lot and found lots of interesting information!

Here is my problem...

At home we are still using an outdoor antenna to receive analog TV signals, but living in Montreal's suburbs and using a signal booster, we are able to get a lot of American TV and are quite happy with what we get. HDTV will come soon, when we decide to upgrade our TV.

We have always been using chimney mounted antennas with a Channel Master rotor and a "knob" controller.

A few months ago we decided to go with a remote controlled rotor controller and bought a Zenith ZENRTR1. Well the first one we got was dead in the box and the second one we got lasted a few months, as with the last wind storms, the rotor itself broke apart, the antenna falling on the roof, broken in two and it also made a whole in the shingles... Anyways not fun!

So we are now looking at going back with Channel Master as the Zenith stuff was really bad in terms of quality...

We have been looking to get a Channel Master 9521A (the whole kit) or at least a 9537 because our old rotor still works, but we'd rather install a new one...

The bad thing is we have only found one place in Montreal that sells them, but they are backordered since February and have 61 orders on them!

So I'd like to know if there are any retailers (online or not) that have them in stock and can easily ship it in Canada.

Thanks a lot!

Also on a side note I'd like to know where I could see what people are getting in terms of HD signals near Montreal.
post #56 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-08-13, 01:22 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Online manual for The Source rotor

I found a PDF manual on line for The Source's Nexxtech 1501245 rotor:

http://download.orbyxelectronics.com...als/manual.pdf
post #57 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-08-18, 08:12 PM
HQS

New CM9521A rotor was working... now stalled after sync.

Hello Folks...

I just picked up my new CM9521A and installed it on my 10' mast with a CM4228 Antenna. Everything was working well until I decide to perform a sync so the arrows on the mast and hold were aligned, and change the Antenna direction by loosening the mast and turning it so the Antenna was pointing South. CLimbed back down and punched in 180, and nothing... Tried 90, 360, nothing at all. The Antenna won't move, but the box #'s roll.

Do you folks have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

HQS
post #58 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-08-18, 08:32 PM

Is it possible you jogged loose the cable conections on the rotor when you turned it?

Panasonic PT47WX53, Humax HFA100, Denon AVR 1610 surround, CM4228 Antenna, WD TVlive
post #59 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-08-18, 09:48 PM
HQS

I checked both ends and they seemed to be all intact. I'm going to go up on the roof in the am and unplug and reconnect. The leads to the motor are short and I should open them up a little. Hopefully, that will help. If not, I may have to bring the rotor down, and check it out inside. I hope I didn't overload it.

Thanks.

HQS
post #60 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-08-19, 10:36 AM
HQS

Solved!

Guys,...

I took the unit down this morning, cut 3' off the 10' Mast, reconnected everything and it works mint.

Thanks for all your helps...

HQS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.