OTA Rotors: Channel Master, Yaesu, Hy-Gain, AlfaSpid, Others - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2005-12-03, 08:06 PM

Stampeder,

Thanks for the helpful info. I have decided that the rotor itself is the problem. This evening proves again to be difficult for the unit(due to the cold evening)it does not even respond anymore. I will have to replace the driver.

That being said, I need a little more advice. Now from what you've seen from my photos I have a fairly large tower. The weather is cold and snowy these days and I will not be changing it myself. Will it be even possible to find someone to replace the rotor this time of year? If so, will a ten year old combo antenna be worth it to keep, or should I change that too? The last installer said that with time the joints of the antenna eventually corrode and so does the efficiency. Is this true? The last installer that change this antenna gave me a used rotor (which I think was a big mistake) I don't want to go back to him again. I don't think I can trust him. Could someone recommend someone in the GTA to do this work. Someone they have dealt with recently and are reasonably priced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2005-12-03, 09:39 PM

There was one more thing I wanted to add, if I do upgrade the antenna will it be possible to get the Rochester locals? I ask this question before, but I believe with a 50' tower I should get something. I am at Victoria Park & Sheppard, so I am fairly east.
post #18 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-01-05, 10:54 AM
Veteran

Location: 300 Steelcase Road W, #20 Markham,905470 9604 ext 230
Stacking 4228 and load values - CM says not without a support

I called Channel Master and got confirmation that

the load rating of the 9521 rotor is not designed to support two antennas in a stacked configuration.

For those who have used it it may work but it will put additional load and stress on the motor. I dont know how much or fast it would reduce the life expectancy of the motor especially during our winters when we have heavy winds and may also encounter ice build up.

What he suggested was to use a load bearing support.

I don't think we have to use the guide wires if the pole is enough to mount both antennas.

Stark sells them for $20.00 http://www.starkelectronic.com/rotor.htm#tb105

This spring I might try stacking 2x4228 to test if I can get WB49. If I can't get WB49 I will end up using a single 4228 antenna, as I currently get excellent reception from Buffalo and Toronto.

CM4228/9521/7775;F.RmJvc70FH96/8300HDPvr/Dish 612;B.Rm LC52LE810UN/8642HD;Study LG50PK550/Xbox360;

post #19 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-01-05, 02:55 PM
DHC Supporter

cm 4228 rotor load

Thanks for the load resolution Yaamon...had quite a storm come thru last night and my rotor very is erratic this morning. I will look into a new rotor and mast support you suggested. Thanks again, Joe

http://community.webshots.com/myphot...ecurity=diSsqS
post #20 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-01-05, 03:52 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Next Step Up In Rotors? Yaesu or other HAM Radio models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygeetee
...had quite a storm come thru last night and my rotor very is erratic this morning.
My back yard is full of cedar deadfall from that storm, but my CM4228 seems to be rock solid though.

Joe, if you think you might need a stronger rotor than your OTA TV model check out Burnaby Radio for a quote on one of their Yaesu HAM Radio rotors:

http://www.burnabyradio.com/dhtml/index.html

HAM rotors can be really expensive compared to most OTA TV gear, but they sure do the job for anyone thinking of running stacked arrays or dual/triple antenna mounts, and the higher end ones have a fast and slow variable speed control for precision slewing:

http://www.yaesu.com/?cmd=DisplayPro...&ProdCatID=104

Any HAMS out there who prefer or recommend other brands or can vouch for the Yaesus?
post #21 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-01-21, 03:01 PM
DHC Supporter

9521a controller reads 227

Before I return my new 9521a rotor I'm asking for help.
Ran sync a couple of times and everything was fine then just before assembling antenna outside I tried the sync again...it homed north fine then stopped at 227 degrees on return.
So now instead of going to 360 it stops at 227. I have unplugged power and did a clear memory 91dn arrow with no results.
Thank You for any help...Joe.
post #22 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-01-21, 03:03 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygeetee
...it homed north fine then stopped at 227 degrees on return.
Is the rotor lined up with the arrows on the housing pointing due south? You may have lined it up with the arrows pointing at 227. I have some further info for you when you're ready.
post #23 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-01-21, 10:43 PM
DHC Supporter

Thank you for pointing ME in the right direction Stampeder...not sure how 227 degrees got programmed into the controller but entering 360 continued the complete sync. Working fine now. Thanks.
post #24 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-01-22, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

The ArcherRotor brand name sold by Radio Shack were all made for them by Channel Master. Many of the rotors here use a 26vac 2-phase AC motor... The motor will have three connections; common (ground), and the two phases... In the controller unit there is a 130-uf/50vac capacitor connected across the two phases and the 26-vac signal is then fed to one or the other motor phase connections... The other motor phase is developed through the capacitor...
post #25 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-02-12, 04:16 PM

Rotator turning backwards

Never noticed till now, had antenna installed over 8 yrs ago !!!! When I turn the rotator counterclockwise (north to west) My antenne actually turns clockwise (north to east).
I have a channel master 9510A rotator with 3 wires connected to it. connection #1 (black0 #2 is (red) and #3 is (white). Do I only need to change teo of the wires to make it rotate the oposite way ? Which ones ?
post #26 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-02-12, 05:38 PM
DHC Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by probak118
Do I only need to change teo of the wires to make it rotate the oposite way?
That's pretty funny but yes if you flip wires 2 and 3 over it will track properly.
Joe.
post #27 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-02-12, 09:28 PM

rotator normal now !!!

Jay....

Thanks works (rotates) properly now. Didn't want to (test)change any wires in case I damaged the unit. Best to ask first.
post #28 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-02-13, 04:31 PM
Veteran

Location: 300 Steelcase Road W, #20 Markham,905470 9604 ext 230
Does your rotor move when the temp below 32'F or 0'C

Since Nov and the cold weather I had to reposition my antenna at 160' for max signal on Nbc.

A few times at this position Fox would fluctuates enough on the Samsung tuner that it would pixelates and drop out, but fine with the LG and the tuner in the Jvc tv. Since then I have rewired the feeds to the recievers. Before was using a 2 way splitter one feed for the bedroom LG with 2 more 2 way splitters to cut down the signal to the Lg. The other feed going outside and into my basement into a 3 way splitter.

The 3.5db port going into the Jvc tv and one 7db port going to a Dish 811 with attenuators totaling 9db. The last 7db went into the Samsung 451 and loop out to a Ati HD card.

I rewired it two weeks ago that a 3way splitter in the bedroom and the 7db into the LG. The other 7db output to the Dish 811 with the same attenuators 9db. The 3.5db into the basement into a 2 way splitter one going to the Jvc and the other output going to the Samsung.

Basically the Samsung gets -7db of signal vs -10.5db.

This was not a big deal since I dont really watch the Toshiba tv in the basement where the Samsung 451 is connected.

Anyway I decide to try and move the antenna towards 175 to 180' last week and it would not turn in any direction.

Brought home a new rotor on Friday from work and was going to get up on the roof on over the weekend and change it.

Tried to move the antenna Sat morning, it did not move. I decide to try again to move the antenna, this was around 1pm and it moved.

The antenna moved.

Is there a problem with the 9521 rotor kit, as this is the second rotor that does not move well when the temp gets below freezing.

The other rotor when I took it down there was no rust or water inisde the housing.

The seals on the rotor is fine. Is there anything that can be done to improve the performance, better sealing ?

I emailed channel master today to see if there is a bad batch with the rotors.

CM4228/9521/7775;F.RmJvc70FH96/8300HDPvr/Dish 612;B.Rm LC52LE810UN/8642HD;Study LG50PK550/Xbox360;

Last edited by Yaamon; 2006-02-13 at 05:27 PM.
post #29 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-02-13, 06:45 PM

My rotor refuses to move for the past few weeks, at night, it worked once during the day i assume the sun might of helped. I just bought this thing in November, so your not the only one.
post #30 of 1003 (permalink) Old 2006-02-13, 08:22 PM

I havnt had any problem moving my rotor atop the 60' tower, It could be there has been moisture inside and has frozen.

Panasonic PT47WX53, Humax HFA100, Denon AVR 1610 surround, CM4228 Antenna, WD TVlive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.