Popularizing OTA DTV In Canada - Page 56 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #826 of 834 (permalink) Old 2015-06-26, 10:12 AM
Veteran

Yes, real cord cutting - OTA *only* (for TV) - may be more difficult for those in remote areas without many over the air TV signals.

[ note - there is FTA too - free to air satellite - but needs to be made more "official" - as a method of delivery. policy, y'know - read on ]

But the argument goes something like this:

Many need internet service anyway - have to have it - or at least some way to access it - for other personal communications (email) or for information or other stuff.

Having internet service (somehow / some way) is becoming more and more important and necessary these days. Even mandatory in some cases now.
(ex for work / looking for work / gov't services / to get important forms online - there are lots of examples these days. Everything is on the internet now, and everyone is directing you to the internet now for this or that. And in some cases it is the *ONLY* option they are giving you.)

So if you have to have internet service - then it may as well serve for streaming TV too. Or downloading content - or whatever you do ...netflix. whatever.

So then also paying EXTRA for a Cable or Satelite subscription - has become extra and redundant for many (and not in the budget). And may don't have the time to watch all that anyway.

Even the BDU's are creating apps for delivering content over the internet anyway now. And it seems they're trying to push the general public in the direction of an internet delivery stream model anyway - LORD PLEASE HELP US ! - because then we will be ultimately "CONTROLLED" and "SURVEILLED".

So people are starting to go for the ONE thing that gives them all they need. Rather than multiple things - at multiple costs. They're simplifying and cutting the things they don't need - and making do, best they can with the other thing they DO need / and have to have - anyway.

[ And some are just rightly - ignoring the whole MESS altogether - Yes *MESS*, becuase that's what we have here in CANADA (best country in the world?) - many people are just saying now: "I don't watch TV" - and perhaps justifyably so. Mostly BS and media and gov't propaganda and misinformation, anyway. ]

"Cutting the Cord" - I believe, refers to cutting your paid CABLE TV subscription.
[ or perhaps refers to cutting the Cord from your subscribed / paid Satellite Dish on your roof service, for your paid Satellite subscription / or paid other TV whatever subscription].

OTA - over the air with conventional antenna - has no "paid" subscription. True cord cut.

FTA - free to air satellite - also has no "paid" subscription. True cord cut.

[And so I am wondering why more broadcasters and viewers don't follow this model - FTA Sat - esp in a big country like CANADA. FTA Sat.- esp. for those outside OTA zones - would be a great model to deliver traditional "BROADCAST" TV media - major network stations - CBC, CTV, Global, Public provincials like TVO, TeleQuebec others? over large unserviced or under serviced OTA areas. AUSTRALIA does it ? FTA broadcast? For the main network channels? Don't they? What's wrong with CANADA? Why don't we do FTA here? What's wrong with our "LEADERSHIP" (gov't) and our "Broadcast" industry? Why aren't they promoting this and putting it into policy?

NO VISION. NO LEADERSHIP. LAGGARTS. DO NOTHINGS. Cut and slash only. These "business men" from Alberta. Oil lovers. Not leaders. No direction for the Nation. no way. OUT. Time for change I say. Instead we have - rather - cutbacks in traditional OTA everywhere - they can't even finish the Digital TV conversion here in CANADA, everywhere. (Cutbacks in everything actually). Reductions in service. And increases in prices. LESS is More. Time for a change I tell you. I digress. ]

There are other options - different - not TV - but still available for true "cord cutting".

Conventional RADIO. Old style. AM FM SW. True cord cut.

I get tired of TV. Lots of BS and brainwash anyway. Lots of commercials. So I return to radio a lot of the time.
Without images, they have to make the speech content work. They don't have images to show - to mesmerize / hypnotize / grab and keep your attention.
Radio is a different sort of media.

Best RADIO, my opinion is public radio, like CBC, or other independent radio - ex University / College radio. Cultural radio stations. Talk radio. etc.
There are other good things out there on RADIO too - Comedy Stations / classical / blues / jazz for music. Talk shows - esp night time on AM - long distances. SW too, still.

But anyway - you have your choice and you can search the dial. Exploring is half the fun. Just get a really good multiband radio.

A combination of OTA and FTA should be delivery models for TV for the basic broadcast networks - in CANADA.

But NOT. Why? Canadians and our leadership & broadcasters - are just "not with it" - right now.

That's the most "polite" way I can say it.

So let's "get with it" then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #827 of 834 (permalink) Old 2015-08-28, 12:48 PM

I must admit I've been away from OTA for most of the summer, but I'm absolutely surprised by the peak in interest in OTA as we approach the anniversary of Canada's digital transition.

Not sure how many of you are on social media, but if you look at all the chatter about the hashtag #OTAday, it's incredible to see how many people use OTA and want to use OTA.

It's even more impressive to see American companies like Mohu, HD HomeRun and AntennasDirect doing contests and giveaways into Canada. I guess they foresee growth in our OTA market?

I finally feel hip as I've been using an antenna for years
post #828 of 834 (permalink) Old 2015-08-28, 03:38 PM
Veteran

Interest and use of OTA still depends on where you live. It is more than viable near the US/Canada border where you can get a plethora of channels from both countries but falls off rapidly as you move further away. Only people with very limited TV viewing habits/needs would be willing to go with OTA when the only channels receivable are CBC and CTV.

post #829 of 834 (permalink) Old 2015-08-28, 10:27 PM

Add one more OTA enthusiast to the list. Sister-n-law's husband broke down and bought a 55" LG TV but wasn't wanting to pay for cable. I got them a Terk Silver Sensor antenna from "the Source"

I just got a message: Woo Hoo, 15 channels

From a 4th floor apartment in Vancouver, BC
post #830 of 834 (permalink) Old 2016-03-13, 12:54 PM
Veteran

Thumbs up Cord-cutting in Downtown Toronto

http://www.thestar.com/life/2016/03/...your-door.html

91XG (47'), YA-1713 (42'), CPA-19, DB4e (37'); Denon AVR-1312
post #831 of 834 (permalink) Old 2016-09-06, 12:49 AM

Location: Brookswood area, Langley, BC - M4 no reflector, no preamp, Samsung 40 inch LCD (model: LN40A330)
So OTA day came and went. Did anyone do anything? Next year, I think we should make a concerted effort to do a letter writing campaign to local and national papers, set up OTA events in public places, try to get some time on the radio - that kind of thing. I know the date is just before school and people are wrapping up the end of summer, but perhaps we could organize something to help spread the good word?

Anyone interested?

Last edited by keithr386; 2016-09-06 at 01:07 AM.
post #832 of 834 (permalink) Old 2017-03-11, 10:45 AM

Location: Brookswood area, Langley, BC - M4 no reflector, no preamp, Samsung 40 inch LCD (model: LN40A330)
Hey all,

I have a thought. To promote OTA, perhaps we should take advantage of the fact that the Stanley Cup playoffs, soon to be upon us, are available for free. Have a "watch it for free" campaign. Set up viewing events, maybe? Wouldn't it be fun for OTA enthusuasts can meet up in their respective areas and educate passers by while the game is being shown on OTA? On social media, talk it up and use the hash tag #watchitforfree or something like that.

Thoughts?
post #833 of 834 (permalink) Old 2017-03-11, 10:56 AM
Veteran

OK I know that the CBC is OTA but what about Sportsnet? The latter does show playoff games too but as far as I know they are are on cable/sat. etc. only. Wouldn't a fan need both to see all the possible playoff games? OTA by itself won't do the job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.