Popularizing OTA DTV In Canada - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 834 (permalink) Old 2006-04-24, 01:40 AM

Come on now, your missing the best one of the lot WNED

Panasonic PT47WX53, Humax HFA100, Denon AVR 1610 surround, CM4228 Antenna, WD TVlive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 834 (permalink) Old 2006-04-26, 10:27 AM

If you really want people to switch to over the air digital you have to take the right approach. Tell them you’re supposed to pay for it, but your buddy can get them a receiver that will allow them to watch HDTV for FREE!

(Sorry, I couldn’t resist.)

CBC English Radio, TV and web streaming.
post #63 of 834 (permalink) Old 2006-04-26, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
If you really want people to switch to over the air digital you have to take the right approach. Tell them you’re supposed to pay for it, but your buddy can get them a receiver that will allow them to watch HDTV for FREE!
Marc - that is way too funny because it is way too true. What better way to get adoption than to get the guys thinking they are stealing something.

Tech Update - there is a special decoder chip in the new generation pre-amps. Hook up the little black box to your antenna and get the digital encrypted signals!

Rumour - The CRTC is trying to protect the Canadian broadcast industry. CRTC is trying to to block American TV signals that are illegally entering Canadian airspace. Researchers are working on a special EM jamming shield. The Americans are purposefully pumping out 1,000 kW of power while Canadian broadcasters only pump out up to 30 kW - which is enough for local broadcasts. This is a clear sign of the cultural invasion that the CRTC wants to protect us from.

Last edited by z0z0; 2006-04-26 at 12:30 PM.

post #64 of 834 (permalink) Old 2006-04-26, 02:40 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

A little reverse psychology, right?

Truth be told, I've actually had OTA equated with the shadier side of FTA for so long now (by those who know nothing about OTA) that I hope everyone keeps treating any talk of illicit stuff as humour only.

There, mandatory caveat and disclaimer finished.
post #65 of 834 (permalink) Old 2006-04-27, 01:47 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

sareeve's "I'm all out of ideas" post

sareeve has posted a very interesting analysis of consumer, CRTC, and broadcaster trends regarding popularizing OTA, and I've relocated it to the Pros & Cons of OTA thread because it deals with many of the ideas and issues voiced there in the past:

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...ad.php?t=32200

As often happens, thread topics can intertwine and overlap, so this is an effort to provide the best Knowledge Base for future reading. We'll keep this thread focused on the specific topic of how to popularize OTA in Canada.
post #66 of 834 (permalink) Old 2006-04-28, 09:55 AM

I told the guy that runs the "I Hate Rogers" website

I can't believe that OTA was not included at
http://www.ihaterogers.ca/cable2.htm

Hopefully he will put a link to us.

Do you guys know of any other websites that should like to us?
post #67 of 834 (permalink) Old 2006-04-28, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
A little reverse psychology, right? Truth be told, I've actually had OTA equated with the shadier side of FTA for so long now (by those who know nothing about OTA) that I hope everyone keeps treating any talk of illicit stuff as humour only. There, mandatory caveat and disclaimer finished.
how about this for reverse psychology - The Major Brooadcasters are using digital OTA to broadcast to the cable companies. OTA thereby intercepts transmissions meant for the cable company. Because ABC, NBC etc send an unemcrypted and uncompressed signal it is better than what the cable companies put down the pipe.

... the cool thing is that this is half true!
post #68 of 834 (permalink) Old 2006-04-28, 12:17 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0z0
I told the guy that runs the "I Hate Rogers" website...
That's a controversial site for Rogers employees and customers, many of whom are DHCers.

Let's try to stay with the mainstream web sites and journalists in order to keep our message as clear as possible. My philosophy is that we have something wonderful and great, so lets tell people about it.
post #69 of 834 (permalink) Old 2006-05-04, 01:36 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Demand an OTA-DT Demo Before Buying an HDTV

I was reading/responding in this thread:

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...ad.php?t=40910

about a fellow whose visual enjoyment of HDTV technology is unsatisfactory.

It struck me that a person who is considering buying an expensive HDTV might want to push the sales people to show them a clean and proper OTA-DT signal on it (where available, of course) so that the best performance can be seen. If they won't do it... no deal.
post #70 of 834 (permalink) Old 2006-05-05, 03:41 AM

Quote:
It struck me that a person who is considering buying an expensive HDTV might want to push the sales people to show them a clean and proper OTA-DT signal on it (where available, of course) so that the best performance can be seen. If they won't do it... no deal.
Even IF they did that for their customers (fat chance), they'd start with the most expensive HDTVs so that it widens the quality gap between them and cheaper HDTVs being fed picturesqe 1080i content via component split 7ways from sunday.

Anyways, it's a fat chance, 'cause unless BB & FS start offering commission to their sales staff for selling antennas and / or get the word of OTA to their customers, they're not gonna want to sell OTA, when they can get $10 or so per HD sat or HD cable box.

Sony 32XBR1, Antennas Direct CS2, Xbox360 & BD. Gamertag: "DT Vancity" <-- get it, DTV?
post #71 of 834 (permalink) Old 2006-05-05, 11:14 AM
Veteran

Most people know you can get TV signals OTA using rabbit ears or a more elaborate antenna, but it is of the analog kind. I’ll be watching a show in HD via OTA and visitors are totally amazed that such a system even exists. I have to do a little FAQ session every time, and I’m sure I’m not alone here. We do our own thing about popularizing OTA-HD. But just look around the neighbourhood and count how many analog antennas now exist. By far, most of my neighbourhood is Cogeco cable and with new cabling run under the sidewalks about 8-10 years ago, a homeowner can get everything for a minimum of fuss.

Quote:
[*]Mandatory Cutover Date: Rather than try to convert the populace with information campaigns, get the CRTC cracking on a firm, mandatory DTV cutover date and all the rest of your concerns will fall right into place. G
How many Americans know there is an analog cutoff date in the States? It will be very interesting to see how this scenario plays out. What will happen when the little guy catches on that his TV rabbit ears won’t work anymore. An awareness campaign will have to kick in long before that happens. Canada must follow the same route. Getting everyone into digital is only the first step. Educating people of the added benefits, such as HD will be the only way OTA-HD would be popularized.
post #72 of 834 (permalink) Old 2006-05-05, 12:18 PM
Veteran

What is OTA Digital Television?

What is OTA Digital Television?
http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/hdt...elevision.html

When I googled (google.ca) “OTA Digital Televison”, DHC came up first and second. The linked page to the HDTV Knowledgebase would be my first opportunity to read a primer on such a subject.

So, how do I ask this question without being misunderstood?
What would be your first impression if you googled this article? Would it inspire you to dig deeper into the links provided to find the wonderfully produced FAQ section and all the informative additions by Stampeder and members.

“For an extensive OTA FAQ, complete with links and lots of excellent links, please read this thread in the Digital Forums. The Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television forum where you can ask questions and get answers about viewing digital television signals broadcast OTA.”

Yes, this page is just a Knowledge BASE and, no doubt intended to simply direct people. Try link this page from the DHC front page and see how buried it is in the Knowledge Base itself. I’m no expert in web page setup and DHC is my favourite forum, so Hugh, this is not intended to be negative about all your hard work.

I just wanted to show that OTA is a buried subject and most people are not inspired enough to even care it exists. Besides DHC, there are some other useful primers, http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ is one very useful one, but again, how well do they portray OTA vs HDTV?

I guess digital OTA is not going to play a big part in most people’s lives. I, for my part, am thankful I have the opportunity and resources to enjoy it. Even more, I’m glad for the insight that DHC has provided me, and look forward to many more visits, if Hugh will allow!
post #73 of 834 (permalink) Old 2006-05-05, 12:50 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbracing24
When I googled (google.ca) “OTA Digital Televison”, DHC came up first and second. The linked page to the HDTV Knowledgebase would be my first opportunity to read a primer on such a subject.
In defence of Hugh and in order to set the record straight, here's why the DHC HDTV Knowledge Base article on OTA Digital Televison is the way it is:

Quite a long time ago Hugh asked me if I would write articles/reviews for the main DHC site, including an “OTA Digital Televison in Canada” primer, and I replied that I would be glad to do that. I have been struggling with medical troubles for a few years and I haven't gotten the energy together to assemble such a document.

Mea culpa.

I wish I could say that my dog ate my homework or that my word processor had eaten it, but the problem exists between my monitor and my seat-back so I'll keep slogging away at it. Progress is steady. Hugh even offered to crib the existing OTA Forum Knowlege Base/FAQ into a useable format and I again asked him to hold off.

Thanks for the friendly feedback, which I take in good humour, and you can now consider a fire lit under me.
post #74 of 834 (permalink) Old 2006-05-05, 01:59 PM
Veteran

Quote:
IHugh even offered to crib the existing OTA Forum Knowlege Base/FAQ into a useable format and I again asked him to hold off.
Thanks for the friendly feedback
Actually, Stampeder, that might not be a bad idea for the moment. I read some criticism about the DHC OTA knowledge base in another forum and thus took a critical eye myself. I tried to pick the right opportunity AND CHOOSE MY WORDS.
What you have in the FAQ base is great and some of the OTA results make worthwhile reading.
I tried to put myself in a beginners shoes and would have some trouble navigating to the right pages. I want OTA-HD on the map too, and DHC should be the jumping off point. We just need to get it up front and center.
Such detailed information like the following link are what people are looking for, for their particular location: http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/index.html
Hey, at least I was still able to log in!!
post #75 of 834 (permalink) Old 2006-06-14, 03:44 PM
Veteran

It took me while to find this thread, but i thought i should bring it back.

I just found a page dedicated to HDTV on ctv.ca, it even mentions OTA and popularizing HDTV in canada, which is what this forum is about. No idea how long that article has been there, but i thought it should be mentioned here.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...65391?hub=HDTV

Samsung TV, Pio-Elite AVR, OppoBD, Wharfedale Speakers, Kicker/Crown Subs, DB-4e OTA:)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.