Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Popularizing OTA DTV In Canada

248K views 860 replies 222 participants last post by  rob50312 
#1 ·
Went to my local Future Shop store to ogle the big-screen TVs....(that LG 60 inch plasma looks pretty nice) and what did I see below the HD gear? This sign, which I consider misleading to say the least:

"Three things you need to receive HDTV:

1) HDTV ( I assume they mean the monitor)

2) HD Satellite or Cable box

3) HD Programming"

Not a word about the *FREE* OTA digital content available to anyone with an ATSC tuner and a decent antenna....(none of which they seem to carry, of course....)

;)

It makes me wonder how much of a kickback FS/BB is receiving from Shaw/Rogers/ExpressVu and Starchoice.....????

:mad:

Just my $0.02.....

See less See more
#103 ·
If you don't live in Toronto, Montreal, or Windsor(Detroit) OTA HD is a waste of time.

getting an attena and tuner is not worth it too receive CBC HD free (Ottawa).

I wish the CRTC would do away with all OTA signals. Its an expense for the broadcaster and its an outdated technology. If we did away with all of it, they could launch new HD channels quicker in all markets.

And the concept that you still need cable or satellite to receive Discovery HD, or TSN HD.

The signal is disturbed from weather, and its super, super low quality, you get twice the PQ with satelitte.

#104 ·
westmanguy:

Apparently you haven't read any of the OTA Forum threads before you posted your opinion in here.

You do not have to live in any of the major population centres to receive free OTA HD signals, although it is usually an advantage.

OTA Digital is a superior technology to analogue OTA in every way, plus the fact that OTA Digital and HD signals are of higher quality especially in comparison to satellite. EVU and other satellite providers usually have to compress their signals, whereas OTA HD provides a clear and uncompressed and superiour picture in every way.

Satellite signals are just as susceptible to inclement weather as OTA.

Some people would rather not have to pay a cable or satellite company a monthly fee to watch a boatload of channels they will never watch especially when the majority of their viewing is network and local broadcasts.

Before you criticize, please take the time to inform yourself of the facts regarding OTA and OTA technology.

There is, in fact, and entire Knowledge Base and FAQ in these forums.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=41102

Regarding your last comment, I think you will be more than a little embarassed if you read the link I just posted above.

#105 ·
Westmanguy anytime someone comes over and sees our picture quality they are stunned,we only have OTA.Our reception is 100% reliable with 11 HD channel ,networks for free.Without OTA your carrier fees would go up because the free networks would and our asking for money from your cable/sat provider.How about that TV at the cottage or bedroom and the less fortunate.Globals projected cost for their OTA transmitter for Toronto is 250 000 while the cost for HD studio equipment is millions.

#106 ·
It's about time BB and FS put up an antenna. I've been at stores asking department managers, and store managers to set up a DTV demo. Most of the time it drew interest but in the end they'd pass the buck to HQ. So I sent their mutual HQ letters to educate and convince the powers that be to give DTV some facetime in stores.

Next time I'm at my grandparents (in Surrey) I'll having to drop into BestBuy and thank the store manager for being a retail pioneer. Chances are their staff will at least know a thing or two about OTA if asked too!

#107 · (Edited)
US: less than 30 percent aware of 2009 DTV deadline

Although the article is refering to the US, it is still an interesting read:
CBS study: less than 30 percent aware of 2009 DTV deadline

If these numbers are true for the US, no wonder DTV is an even bigger mystery in Canada where less people use or rely on OTA, and the CRTC currently is allowing the market to drive the digital transition. The US numbers might suggest a much bigger marketing campaign is required down south.

cheers,
99gecko

edit: direct link to CBS report page http://www.cbscorporation.com/news/prdetails.php?id=1443

#109 ·
Tom.F.1 said:
I doubt 30% use OTA.
I am not so sure about that. I was recently in MD (just outside Washington, DC) and was amazed at how many buildings had antennas on the roof. I would say that about 75% of the houses and maybe 20% of the small businesses had antennas. With all the stations available out of Baltimore, Washington, Salisbury, and Annapolis they have lots to choose from though there is lots of duplication.

#110 ·
Hi roger1818/Tom.F.1 ,

There are lots of antenna's still up but not being utilized in Canada, so I could guess that it is similar in the US. some people won't go to the hassle of pulling it down. Luckily for some, with the emergence of digital OTA in Canada, their old antennas are getting new life. There was at least one DHC'er that I recall tried hooking up to an older antenna.

Trying real hard to stay on topic here,.... of the 30% who are aware in the US what proportion of those actually use OTA? And coincidently, what is the proportion of the 10 to 15% of Canadians that rely exclusively on OTA are aware of DTV??

At least they have a plan in the US. We'll see what the CRTC says about all this mess in Canada hopefully sooner than later.

And you're right, most people don't put such amount of planning into buying a TV, though they probably should in some cases ;)

#112 ·
Didn't I read somewhere that US satellite providers charge extra for local's and thats why most people still use OTA for their locals?

Not sure about that though just something that stayed in my addled brain:p

#114 ·
groundstate:

Hello and WELCOME to the DHC Forums.

I moved your post to the appropriate OTA sub-forum.

Having read the article now it is quite excellent and informative. Of course, a lot of the same information can be found in our Digital Home FAQs and in the OTA Knowledge Base and FAQ. But more articles like this will hopefully spread the word about OTA and the greatness of it all. :)

#115 ·
Great article!

It's really great to be getting the word out there that Digital TV is here and is free. Why is it that the Toronto TV stations never seems to want to advertise the fact that they are available OTA? I've never once heard any of them say during a station break "This is CFTO channel 9 Digital 40" like they do in the US.

I'm also amazed your landlord let you mount that antenna on the side of the building... he seems like a cool guy. Maybe he'll let you up on the roof? If so I would get up there and install a Channel Master CM 4228 with rotor!

The best way to do this is to use a wooden skid... you know the things forklifts pickup. Take the wooden skid up on the roof... place some concrete blocks on it and there you go a very sturdy platform to now mount a tripod too without any damage to the roof.

#117 ·
HDTV101: Maybe the local networks don't want to piss off Bell/Rogers? Yes, my landlord is cool. Originally I asked him if I could mount the antenna onto the chimeny. He said fine, but it's about 35 feet up, and I don't have a ladder that long. The wooden skid idea is cool. I have a variation I used to mount a satellite dish on a tin shed. That article coming soon. ;-)

stampeder: Will add a link for sure. Thanks.

#118 ·
Welcome Groundstate,

Great article!! Just a few points I might make:

If you want to see digital broadcasts on an old analog TV set, you can buy a digital receiver. You'll see the images, and they will be pretty clear, but not nearly as good as a true digital set would show.
this may be nit-picking but, some older DTVs do not have digital inputs or an ATSC tuner, so I would fear that some of your readers might think they have an analogue set. This is not technically correct. If the STB is connected via component cables (analogue) to a DTV, the resulting picture quality (PQ) is nearly identical, and indistinguishable to the human eye. Please this for more info:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17873, specifically #2. They do not have to have a DVI/HDMI/Firewire connection for outstanding PQ. More important would be the native resolution of the DTV (many plasma/LCD have a native resloution of 768p, not 1080i/720p which are the ATSC standards) vs. the incoming signal from the STB, and whether the set has been calibrated.

OMNI 1, OMNI 2
These two stations were testing their digital transmitters in the fall, but are currently only broadcasting analogue @ channels 47 & 69. Again, I wouldn't want your readers thinking that they are currently on the air.

Thank you for helping to promote OTA digital television, and please post here whenever you can!!

cheers,
99gecko

#120 · (Edited by Moderator)
I agree that it is a very good article. Since you are looking for feedback here are a few things I noticed:

• At 17.4kW CTV is not the strongest station in Toronto. CBLT (CBC) is the strongest at 38 kW. It is also on a lower channel, which also makes it travel further.
  • You might want to mention that although the Silver Sensor was originally made by Zenith, there are copies available that should work just as well.
  • The Silver Sensor is a good indoor antenna, but you might also want to try a 2 or 4 bay antenna. They won't give you the same gain as a 8 bay antenna, but it should be better than the SS (see Comparing some commercially available antennas).
  • It is true that currently digital TV "is usually broadcast over UHF frequencies," but after the analog shutdown (2009 in the US) many stations will move their digital broadcast to their VHF channel (there is talk that VHF-LO (2-6) will not be used along with some of the upper UHF channels (52 and above)).

#121 ·
Re: "It's really great to be getting the word out there that Digital TV is here and is free. Why is it that the Toronto TV stations never seems to want to advertise the fact that they are available OTA? I've never once heard any of them say during a station break "This is CFTO channel 9 Digital 40" like they do in the US."

I have my own theory on that one. For instance Bell has financial interests in CTV so they wouldn't want to advertise anything that would harm EspressVu. Similarly, Rogers has a financial interest in Omni1/Omni2. CBC might not do it since they don't often even say "this is CBLT, Channel5" either - I guess maybe since they broadcast the same thing on may channels across Ontario. Don't even get me started on Global .....

#122 ·
DHC OTAer in Vancouver Province newspaper's HDTV Article

Article in the Sunday, Feb/18/07 that looks at different HDTV feeds for consumers in the Vancouver area. Most of the article is about feeds from Shaw, Bell, and Star Choice. But, they actually mention OTA reception being available in the lower mainland.

They inteviewed a independent seller/installer, Greg Gilmour, who obviously knows his stuff, becuase, he's quoted as saying he's receiving 24 HD channels at his home in the Fraser Valley. He also indicates what we already know: Quality of OTA transmission is far superior to what the service providers can offer.

Though, it's not front page news, it's good to see that the OTA option is at least mentioned in these articles.

#123 ·
4DTV HD quoted in Province article

Greg is DHC's own 4DTV HD, who has been helping out BC OTAers for years. Way to go, Greg! :)
Currently, the best-quality HD signal you can get is through an antenna, said Greg Gilmour, an independent seller and installer of satellite communications equipment, mostly for high-speed Internet access.

"My No. 1 choice would be off air via TV antenna," said Gilmour.

From his home in Aldergrove, he gets 24 HD channels, most from the U.S.
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/money/story.html?id=1ae18b23-e62d-4739-9e00-93241f38e67b (2 pages)

#124 ·
I read this article, it peeked my interest and google led me here. I am a Satalite guy who has been testing satalites for about 7 years. Recently i bought a FTA system but im getting tired of the cat and mouse games. I have enjoyed reading through your informative posts and wonder if OTA is a viable alternative for me, i live up on a mountain in vancouver and have sitelines to vancouver island seymore mountain and mount baker. I guess specificaly i would love to get Seatle channels. Is it feasile to recieve all the channels with one antenna? (and why isnt sportsnet available i need my Canucks games :) )
I guess i will continue to read through the posts , great site...

#125 ·
to answer your sportsnet question...sportsnet is considered a specialty channel and not a regular broadcast channel so you won't be able to get them OTA...but doesn't matter anyways if you just wanted to watch the canucks, since they don't televise any games in HD.

as for what channels you might receive i suggest you to read the OTA Reception Results subforums, specifically the one for the area you live. good luck!

#126 ·
now now, you can't say there's never "any" Canucks games in HD. When the Canucks burned the Leafs in Hogtown on Jan 13th, with the whole country watching, it was in HD. And on March 25th playing Calgary, the HD truck is scheduled to be in town, so that should be in HD too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.