Zenith Silver Sensor (& Clones) OTA Antennas - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-04-25, 10:03 PM

what is the benefit of the Terk HDTV amplified over the non-amplified?

i believe it is signal strength reception, but is there a distance component as well?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-04-26, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyboy
what is the benefit of the Terk HDTV amplified over the non-amplified?
The amplification is just to improve the signal strength with the supplied cable, which unfortunately is not very long (about 4' to 5'). If you try connecting any extra cable to it the signal really weakens. If you need to place the antenna in another room away from your tv you could connect the supplied cable to an amplifier (10-25db) and from the amp run the required length of cable to where you have your tv. I have tried this and it works well.
post #63 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-04-26, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray OTA
The amplification is just to improve the signal strength...
ok, thanks...i don't think distance will be much of a problem. i guess i'll look for the non-amplified.

post #64 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-05-21, 08:56 PM

Mounting Zenith Silver Sensor outside?

has anyone tried mounting one of the Zenith Silver Sensor's outside? i would need an amplifier right? (probably about 30-50 ft of the coaxial cable)
post #65 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-05-21, 10:15 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbastien
has anyone tried mounting one of the Zenith Silver Sensor's outside?
People have tried it, and no offence meant but if you are going to mount it outdoors why not go with a proper outdoor antenna and then be sure that your results will be better than a ZSS and worth the effort?

You're in Niagara and so with an 8-bay bowtie reflector on a rotor you could swing it towards Buffalo, Toronto, Hamilton, and Erie, or if you just want Buffalo you could solid-mount a good yagi. In either case your reception would easily be better than with a ZSS.
post #66 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-05-23, 05:51 PM

Zenith Silver Sensor Autopsy

Following the "rip-apart" of the SS-2000 and the Lacrosse - I now rip apart a Zenith Silver Sensor to see what makes this baby work. Here are the pictures - and some thoughts.

This design is being lauded as the best indoor design. I wonder if you scaled this design up and doubled the size and turned it into an outdoor antenna if you could improve reception capability.

Thoughts?

These are the main parts. Two similar metal pieces in an apparent mirror-image design.

This is theinside of "front" thin part of the antenna. The internal cable connects at the front and there is a slim coax cable that runs from front to back through the antenna.

Now THIS is interesting. The wiring is not connected to the metal of the antenna. There is some sort of metal pad inside the circuitboard material which is glued to the aluminum antenna parts. The lettering on the circuitboard is AA-T-U-1(A). Google comes up with nothing.

post #67 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-05-23, 05:53 PM

Both pads are the same - neither one has metal to metal contact to the wiring.

At the "back" of the antenna is the 75 ohm connector. There is not balun inside the antenna. Where is the balun?
Are maybe the circuitboard pads doing the job of the balun in some manner?

post #68 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-05-23, 09:03 PM

Some analysis of the Silver Sensor antenna design

Some analysis of the Silver Sensor antenna - to try and determin what makes this thing work...

I assume this thing uses 1/4 wavelength resonance
See my calculations below and let me know what you think.
Am I on correct in my analysis?
How can we make it more effective?

The Zenith Silver Sensor has 7 "arms"

Here are the arm lengths unsing the centerline

. . . . . Arm Length . . Chnl . Freq . . Wvlnth . . Ratio
Arm #1 = 160 mm . . 14 . . 473 . . 634 mm . . 0.252
Arm #2 = 140 mm . . 25 . . 538 . . 559 mm . . 0.251
Arm #3 = 120 mm . . 41 . . 635 . . 472 mm . . 0.250
Arm #4 = 100 mm . . 55 . . 742 . . 404 mm . .0.250
Arm #5 = 87 mm . . 69 . . 803 . . 430 mm . . 0.233
Arm #6 = 76 mm .
Arm #7 = 62 mm .

according to this the two smallest arms don't do anything

Last edited by z0z0; 2006-05-23 at 09:18 PM.
post #69 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-05-24, 02:01 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0z0
Now THIS is interesting. The wiring is not connected to the metal of the antenna. There is some sort of metal pad inside the circuitboard material which is glued to the aluminum antenna parts. The lettering on the circuitboard is AA-T-U-1(A). Google comes up with nothing.
My first instinct is that they are Hall Effect Transducers that convert electromagnetic resonances in the elements into plus and minus voltage differences in relation to ground. If so, with the elements excited by the broadcast signals, the transducers' constantly changing outputs, when united into the F-connector, could be purposely designed to result in an unbalanced 75 ohm signal like that which a common balun outputs from a normal antenna. Just a guess, but I'd like to find out from someone at LG/Zenith.

About the log periodic design: you will find that for digital UHF stations a log periodic like the Zenith Silver Sensor makes sense because DTV transmitter frequencies are now assigned without the plus or minus frequency offsets of old. It was those permitted analogue transmitter frequency offsets that tended to make the major antenna manufacturers go with their own custom element sizes rather than with true log periodics, because they could easily prove a benefit to their "spiked" designs over the evenly-wideband LP results. Now in the DTV era, with the even distribution of frequencies, we can expect to see LPs, with their even distribution of frequency gathering, with more regularity. I'll write about this further in another post.
post #70 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-05-24, 12:39 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
I'll write about this further in another post.
Okay, I've slept on it and it seems to me that the only tweaking of the elements that might be of interest would be if you need their periodicity to still be logarithmic but within a narrower bandwidth, recalculating to have the same number of elements cover 14-59 instead of 14-69. Who knows whether this would even improve performance? We don't know for sure whether the UHF channels above 59 will indeed disappear or not, so I would say leave well enough alone.

Regarding actually tweaking your dissected antenna, you might destroy the transducers' abilities because their distance from the element must be quite specific - hopefully the glue stayed in form.
post #71 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-05-24, 08:36 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

A Zenith Silver Sensor has been disassembled, autopsied, and photographed in the following thread:

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...ad.php?t=25677
post #72 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-06-21, 07:51 PM

Terk ZSS clones at Active Surplus in Toronto

Saw 9 or 10 boxes of a Terk indoor HDTV antenna for $14.95 at Active Surplus today. Not sure what model, but here is a pic I snapped of the box.

Samsung HL-R4264 42" DLP HDTV, Samsung SIR-T451 STB ATSC Tuner, Channel Master 4221, Xbox 360 Premium
post #73 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-06-21, 08:32 PM

Yup, I am using one right now. I get CTV, CBC, CRC (FrenchCBC) and CityTV with in Toronto. (I'm just south of the 401 near Avenue Rd.)

CityTV is sometimes iffy, but the others come in rock solid. On the odd occasssion I even pick up SunTV.

I think it is a good antenna to grad to try out OTA HDTV before taking the plunge for an outdoor antenna. (Coming soon for me.)

Cheers.
post #74 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-06-21, 10:29 PM

Did you find the pre-amps?
post #75 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-06-21, 11:09 PM

Unfortunately no - I was about to ask! I found these two amplifiers in the aisle, nothing else. These are amps and not the more useful preamps, though. Did I miss something?

Samsung HL-R4264 42" DLP HDTV, Samsung SIR-T451 STB ATSC Tuner, Channel Master 4221, Xbox 360 Premium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.