Zenith Silver Sensor (& Clones) OTA Antennas - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-04-12, 02:30 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Yep, there are lots of Zenith Silver Sensor originals and clones out there on the web, and I've read many times how their performance is the same. Also when you buy an ATSC Tuner card or USB device for your computer you almost always get a ZSS clone with it.

Zenith Silver Sensor:

Terk HDTVa:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-04-12, 02:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
Also when you buy an ATSC Tuner card or USB device for your computer you almost always get a ZSS clone with it.
So the Philips PHDTV1 of this package is a ZSS clone?
post #48 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-04-12, 02:44 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Some info about the Zenith Silver Sensor that you should know

In the mid-1990s the American company Zenith had created a new digital television technology known as 8 Vestigial Side Band (8VSB) broadcasting, which was up against the global digital television standard DVB-T for consideration to be the new U.S. standard. DVB-T was (and still is) considered by many to be the better standard due to its comparatively better multipath rejection, but the ATSC (Advanced Television Systems Committee) chose 8VSB and by now it is in its 6th generation of chipsets so multipath rejection is now excellent.

Zenith used a variety of existing outdoor antennas for successful testing, but when it came to indoor antennas on the market at that time they found that none were suitable. Instead, they themselves designed the Zenith Silver Sensor to be the ATSC test reference indoor antenna. I have a manual from Zenith on how to build an 8VSB test apparatus and they specify the ZSS for indoor testing. So, it can be said that ATSC and the ZSS go hand in hand. Cloning was therefore okayed by Zenith.

When LG of Korea bought out Zenith a few years ago they became the stewards of 8VSB and have continued to permit cloning of the basic ZSS design.

And now my obligatory comment on indoor antennas: use one only if you have to. Outdoor antennas rule.

post #49 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-04-12, 02:47 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcP
So the Philips PHDTV1 of this package is a ZSS clone?
Absolutely! It says Philips on it, but Philips bought out the Gemini company that markets cloned and rebranded antennas. It is a ZSS clone.
post #50 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-04-12, 06:57 PM

Two models of Terk ZSS clone

There are 2 models for these Terk HDTV indoor antennas:
  1. HDTVa is an amplified version
  2. HDTVi is non-amplified
I have the HDTVi (non-amplified) that I now use as rabbit ears for my son's TV used mainly for xbox. It has been demoted since I got my CM4221.

When I was testing the Terk, I had it on a 2nd floor window (at least 20 feet from ground level) and all I can get were Toronto channels at best. (btw i'm in brampton)
post #51 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-04-13, 05:04 PM

Info about the extra aerials on the Terk ZSS clones

The Terk HDTVi and the amplified HDTVa both actually come with the aerials. They neatly fold into the the sides when not in use so that's why you probably never noticed them before. It actually is an improvement on the Silver Sensor design because it enables you to also receive VHF HD signals as well as UHF. Of course, there would have to be VHF HD signals available in your area which in Canada seems rare but I believe they are more common in the States.
post #52 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-04-13, 06:52 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Thanks for the clarification on that, Murray. With the timeline of the digital cutover in Canada an open question, having a VHF-capable antenna is not a bad thing for continuing to get legacy analogue VHF stations until then.

How's the VHF performance on one of those Terk ZSS clones with aerials?
post #53 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-04-13, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Active Surplus on Queen St in Toronto sells Terk antennas
Thanks. I picked one up and I am now playing around with it. So far MythTV is happily picking up 5 HD channels (CBC, SRC, CTV, SunTV, CityTV) on my pcHDTV PCI card. All with this simple little antenna. Nice.
post #54 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-04-17, 10:12 AM

UHF/VHF antenna

The cheap antenna i bought has a UHF loop on it but it does not seem to work very well because when i do a channel scan nothing comes up.So im just guessing here,but i guess my best bet would be to invest in a UHF only antenna?Thanks for any help.
post #55 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-04-17, 01:33 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little John
The cheap antenna i bought has a UHF loop on it but it does not seem to work very well because when i do a channel scan nothing comes up.So im just guessing here,but i guess my best bet would be to invest in a UHF only antenna?Thanks for any help.
What is your location Little John? Are you at/above/below ground level? Need much more info please.
post #56 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-04-18, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
Thanks for the clarification on that, Murray. With the timeline of the digital cutover in Canada an open question, having a VHF-capable antenna is not a bad thing for continuing to get legacy analogue VHF stations until then.

How's the VHF performance on one of those Terk ZSS clones with aerials?
With my Terk HDTVa I am able to receive all the local analogue VHF stations but don't really ever watch them in analogue since they are almost all available in UHF HD, except for Barrie's A Channel and Hamilton's CH11. From what I have read on the net, Hamilton's CH11 will change to UHF when it goes HD OTA but Barrie's A Channel will be in VHF when it finally goes to HD OTA.

Also, for anyone trying to decide between the TERK HDTVi (unamplified) or the HDTVa (amplified), with my HDTVa when I switch the amplifier off the signal strength meter on my Samsung tuner shows a drop of two bars in reception strength which could be the difference between being able to receive a weaker signal or not picking up anything at all.
post #57 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-04-18, 11:56 AM

In Canada, I live in the Montreal region. How can I get a TERK antenna? Is there a place that ships to canada and doesn't cost 25$ US shipping? or any place I could go pick one up in montreal?

I'd want to try out the terk HDTVa or even a zenith silver sensor...
post #58 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-04-18, 12:44 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbonet
I live in the Montreal region. How can I get a TERK antenna... ...HDTVa or even a zenith silver sensor...
bobbonet, check out the OTA Equipment thread for possibilities in Montreal:

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...ad.php?t=23984

Let us know if you have any luck.
post #59 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-04-18, 09:25 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

West Coast: London Drugs carries a ZSS Clone

For folks on the West Coast looking for a Zenith Silver Sensor, London Drugs is carrying the Audiovox and/or Terk ZSS clone:

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...4122&langId=-1

Holy cripes, on their web site they're asking $70 for the Terk!! I think someone at London Drugs doesn't know what the competition is charging, or maybe the web site is out of date:

http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/...7&ProductTab=1
post #60 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-04-19, 04:09 PM

I have seen plenty of Terk HDTVi's on Ebay and some Silver Sensors as well. The one time I found a HDTVa on Ebay, I decided to bid on it and ended up getting it to use on a second tv. I had previously bought one online from the states and had to pay the big shipping charge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.