Zenith Silver Sensor (& Clones) OTA Antennas - Page 25 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #361 of 374 (permalink) Old 2015-01-23, 08:32 PM
Veteran

I have the Terk HDTVa. It also has a removable amplifier. And it USED TO work very well for distant US signals in my area, at least until the local channels went digital and somehow managed to overwhelm the US signals with their own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 374 (permalink) Old 2015-01-23, 10:22 PM

François, do you have a source on a good price for the HDTVa in Canada? I'm seeing prices in the $70-80 range when I search online.
post #363 of 374 (permalink) Old 2015-01-23, 10:38 PM
Veteran

I was curious about your comment that 1byone LPDA+Rabbie-Ears didn't ship to Canada. According to 1byone's HOME website, they DO International Orders.....AND they're already set up to select your currency type, including Canadian currency:
http://www.1byone.com/delivery-options
"Special Price" is $46 or about 58 CDN (HA!!!! Their website apparently botched the currency conversion):
http://www.1byone.com/1byone-digital...lor-black.html

And since the Amazon.com webpage ALSO includes an Amazon Fulfillment source, perhaps 1byone only needs to do ONE CLICK to enable shipping out of the U.S. if you can talk the company into enabling it:
http://services.amazon.com/global-se...ith-Amazon.htm

BTW: Although the 1byone Amplified LPDA+RE is listed on Amazon.com, it is NOT on the Canadian Amazon.ca. However I did find RCA 1540F/R for 68 CDN....don't know if that is a good price or not.....
http://www.amazon.ca/RCA-ANT1650F-AN...words=RCA+1650

And on Canadian Amazon.ca I also ran across the difficult to find Terk HDTVi (NON-Amplilfied) for 70 CDN:
http://www.amazon.ca/Terk-Technology...rds=terk+hdtva

Antenna Simulations, Overload Calculations, etc: http://imageevent.com/holl_ands

Last edited by holl_ands; 2015-01-23 at 10:57 PM.

post #364 of 374 (permalink) Old 2015-01-23, 11:04 PM

The Amazon.com link you posted didn't ship to Canada. I did not check the 1byone direct shipping since it was down at the time I checked it. Still in principle it seems silly to pay twice as much just because I'm across the border. One perk of Vancouver living I will miss (moved last year) is the border being so close you could even take public transit there and pick up a package.
post #365 of 374 (permalink) Old 2015-01-23, 11:08 PM
Veteran

Queerasmoi, I've been checking out the current prices online...

HOW THE HECK DID THE PRICE OF THE ANTENNA INCREASE FROM $50 TO $80 IN ONLY 4 YEARS?!?

Have you considered a wire hanger?

Don't forget the matching transformer. $3 at The Source.

Last edited by Francois Caron; 2015-01-23 at 11:39 PM.
post #366 of 374 (permalink) Old 2015-01-24, 05:51 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Exclamation ZSS & ZSS-Clones in Canada, early 2015

So to summarize, the availability of brand new ZSS & ZSS-Clones in Canada in early 2015 is quite iffy, and the prices from the U.S. are not only way too high but also are affected by the present day exchange rate, making the price even worse for Canadians.

Store-bought alternatives are shown on the Antenna Chart, while the best DIY options are found in our Antenna Research & Development forum, and queerasmoi's reception report has been moved over to the ON - City of Toronto Metro Area <INDOOR Antennas Only> - OTA thread in the Reception Results forum.

Let's keep this thread focused on the specific technical and availability issues of the ZSS & ZSS-Clones.
post #367 of 374 (permalink) Old 2015-01-24, 10:40 PM
s40

I should have replied in this thread, but try going to Princess Auto, they quite often have amplified Silver Sensor clones by Terk on for $29.99. They are reconditioned so keep that in consideration.
post #368 of 374 (permalink) Old 2015-01-25, 03:04 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Purchasing From U.S. Vendors: Taxes, Duties, Shipping, other Issues, etc

I've moved two great posts over to the following thread, which is a compendium of info about issues facing Canadian consumers regarding U.S.-bought retail items:

Purchasing From U.S. Vendors: Taxes, Duties, Shipping, other Issues, etc

Once again, please help to keep this present thread focused on the specific technical and availability issues of the ZSS & ZSS-Clones.
post #369 of 374 (permalink) Old 2015-08-23, 01:11 AM

FYI (time limited) Terk clone availability in GTA @ CNE

If anyone in the GTA is still looking for the terk amplified silver sensor clones there is a pile in one of the liquidation outlets at the CNE in the warehouse outlets section. The outlet has a big banner up that inclues the RCA and Best Buy logos IIRC.

The model is the CHDTVa and they want $27.99 plus tax. (Obviously you have to pay to get into CNE as well so factor that in to your cost).
As liquidation stock they are probably 'returns' or 'reconditioned' so caveat emptor.
I picked one up as a spare (- still using my HDTVa that I bought 4 years ago based upon feedback in this forum and very happy with it despite paying around 2x the price at Bell's TheSource).

They also have amplified Terk flat panel outdoor antennas, a Terk flat indoor antenna, and an RCA equivalent.
post #370 of 374 (permalink) Old 2017-01-16, 02:17 AM

Is there any way one of these could be used in a manner that avoids receiving interference from subway trains that pass (above ground) about 60 yards away from an apartment's only window (and in the same direction the antenna must be pointed) ?
post #371 of 374 (permalink) Old 2017-01-16, 10:21 AM
DHC Supporter

That sounds impossible to solve.

My antenna, 5 feet AGL, is aimed across a busy road. The strong signals are OK, but the weak ones break up when cars and trucks go by.

What does your tvfool signal report look like?

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #372 of 374 (permalink) Old 2017-01-16, 03:56 PM

This was only about 6 miles away from the CN Tower. A guy had mentioned to me that he had tried once with a cheap indoor antenna to see what channels he could receive, which was as would be expected the Toronto ones, but the subway trains going past every couple of minutes would interrupt and make trying to watch anything pointless. I had a silver-sensor type of antenna sitting unused for about a year that I gave him to try. He said he was able to point it as much away from the subway tracks as possible and see the Toronto stations with the interruptions minimized compared to previously, but still sometimes occurring (along with three Buffalo stations he hadn't received at all the other time). I wondered if there was anything else that could be tried to avoid the interference from the trains. I think if he lived on any of the other three sides of the apartment building and on a higher floor he would probably get the Toronto and some of the Buffalo stations without too much trouble.
post #373 of 374 (permalink) Old 2017-01-16, 06:04 PM

I'm on the third floor of an apartment building near Bayview and Eglinton, and I have the same problem with buses going past on the street below, with Buffalo signals. I have a Terk HDTVa, and it's great... but, man, is it picky sometimes.
post #374 of 374 (permalink) Old 2017-01-17, 10:07 AM

I'm on the south side of a high floor of an apartment building located south of the CN Tower, and I have the same problem with planes going past over the lake below with Toronto signals.

Despite the planes often passing directly in the way of my line of sight of the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area I very rarely have a problem with any of the normal power level mainstream Buffalo stations.

Since the Toronto stations mostly relay US content, I usually only get irritated with the reception during local news or the odd programme on CBC or TVO.

I also have a Terk HDTVa, and agree that it's great. The upside of its picky sensitivity is you can usually manipulate it to get try and get the specific channel you want at the time you need it. But, it requires forethought if setting a PVR for multiple channels to make sure the antenna is at a good compromise location...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.