Zenith Silver Sensor (& Clones) OTA Antennas - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 374 (permalink) Old 2005-07-27, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyG
When I sold them, I spoke to a few customers that used it that way. I recommend sealing it up with silicone first though. The only issue is that it doesn't have a whole lot of gain and a long cable run won't leave you with much signal at the end of the wire.
Did any of your customers have any problems with weather related reception, or are smaller UHF antennas like the Silver Sensor immune to snow or rain fade?

Also, does the Silver Sensor, since it's relatively small, have any problems with dropouts?

Last edited by weblurker; 2005-07-27 at 12:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 374 (permalink) Old 2005-07-27, 08:53 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyG
When I sold them, I spoke to a few customers that used it that way. I recommend sealing it up with silicone first though. The only issue is that it doesn't have a whole lot of gain and a long cable run won't leave you with much signal at the end of the wire.
My cable run would be bout 10 feet from my bed room window. The plan is to keep it under the the eav of the roof in the garden on top of maybec a PVC pipe and maybe put a rotor.
post #18 of 374 (permalink) Old 2005-08-11, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remageno

Do the digital tuners pick up NTSC signals or ATSC only?
Depends on the model

Quote:
I was thinking of adding a UHF antenna to the tower and adding a trap on the ministate to isolate the VHF and combining the signal for the digital tuner
won't work - the line from the house is carrying power to your UFO. As others have stated, this is NOT a real antenna. However, it you absolutely must use it for VHF: run a separate line down from the UHF antenna and join them in the house (after the UFO power supply) with a UHF/VHF splitter.

post #19 of 374 (permalink) Old 2005-09-02, 03:08 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutJoe
Is there a significant quality or reception difference between the T451 and T151? I've got 30 days to return the T451 if I can find a good deal on a T151.
You need to ask that in the Samsung ATSC Tuners thread. I'm sure you'll get good info there. I'm an LG owner so I'm biased.
post #20 of 374 (permalink) Old 2005-10-06, 03:01 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Lets be clear that one person's success with an indoor antenna of any brand is, well, just one person's success. Conditions vary so widely between even two houses on the same block in the same city, let alone different locations on the continent. Use an indoor antenna only if you have exhausted all possibilities of using an outdoor one.
post #21 of 374 (permalink) Old 2005-10-06, 03:03 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut88
The antenna itself is great, signal strength ranging from the low 80s to high 90s.
Truth be told, reception is so good there that even an indoor antenna gave excellent results.
post #22 of 374 (permalink) Old 2005-10-25, 06:35 PM

I don't believe that Global Digital is going live until at least April of 2006. If you are looking for more channels then it's likely going to mean a better antenna and going after the Buffalo stations.
post #23 of 374 (permalink) Old 2005-11-27, 10:38 AM
Veteran

Yellow101 ,The best way to aim your antenna is to connect it to analog tuner or old tv.For Toronto stations tune to channel 57 and adjust for best picture;no shadows.For Buffalo tune to analog 23 wnlo and adjust for best picture.Channel 32 WNLO-dt is the strongest digital station.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .
post #24 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-01-23, 02:03 AM

Webstore For Silver Sensor

Last week I bought a Zenith Silver Sensor from http://www.ambientweather.com/ - they have a Yahoo store and shipped to Canada via UPS, no duty (I guess because the value was so low). Took about a week to get it.
post #25 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-01-23, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohoho
Last week I bought a Zenith Silver Sensor from http://www.ambientweather.com/ - they have a Yahoo store and shipped to Canada via UPS, no duty (I guess because the value was so low). Took about a week to get it.
that's good news. Did you have to pay GST on it too?
post #26 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-01-23, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalCanadian
that's good news. Did you have to pay GST on it too?
Not yet! I've heard that sometimes UPS sends you a bill after the fact but I haven't experienced that myself. Knock on wood!
post #27 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-01-24, 01:27 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Not yet! I've heard that sometimes UPS sends you a bill after the fact but I haven't experienced that myself. Knock on wood!
Yeah they did that to me with some equipment I bought from the US. They had made a photo copy of the invoice that was on the box. I thought I had got away without having to pay any tax and brokerage on it but not so... 3 weeks later the bill arrived in the mail !!! I hate using UPS... always a big surprise waiting with them.... and that brokerage fee seems so unreasonable and nothing but a big rip-off. Charging me $42 for there accountant to punch a few numbers in a computer to determine I owe $8 tax.
post #28 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-01-30, 01:29 AM

Silver Sensor any good?

Quote:
So how did this indoor antenna work out for you? Thinking of one myself ...
post #29 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-01-30, 12:29 PM

In my particular circumstances (ground floor of condo in Vancouver, no line of sight to Seymour Mountain), the Silver Sensor antenna works great for CBC-HD however I cannot get any signal for CTV-HD. HD hockey is awesome and I'm looking forward to the Olympics in HD.
post #30 of 374 (permalink) Old 2006-02-06, 05:51 PM

Indoor Antennas I've Tried - Stayed with Terk ZSS Clone

I live in the North West area of Toronto (401 & Islington) in a raised bungalow and have had great success with a few indoor antennas in receiving HD OTA.

I first bought the Radio Shack 1501880 after doing some research using Google. I bought it making sure that I could return it if it didn't work for me. Luckily, after moving it around the room, I was able to find a sweet spot where I could get all of the available Toronto and Buffalo OTAHD channels (except for WB and TBN).

I then read the good reviews for the Terk TV5 on www.circuitcity.com and started looking on ebay for one to use with a second HD Tuner. I ended up getting one dirt cheap ($12 US including shipping) and it got the same results that the Radio Shack did.

A couple of channels (FOX & NBC) can sometimes be affected by planes flying by with pixelation so I've been thinking about going to the CM 4228 but I wanted to try one more indoor antenna to see if it could perform any better.

After some more research I bought the Terk HDTVa from an american site that ships to Canada. So far it seems to work the best of them all and if you need an indoor antenna I would highly recommend it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.