Wacky, Tacky OTA Gear (What NOT To Buy!) - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 117 (permalink) Old 2015-06-11, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

The Televes designs from Spain are well known, as you can see in the Antenna R&D Forum threads devoted to them. In reality, there is no strong case for three booms on an antenna for the UHF bands anywhere in the world. Since Televes integrates amplification with their antennas, the publicized gain figures for their antennas are deceiving. On purely unamplified terms, computer models show that they are good but not great. The Televes antennas are known to be well constructed, and their integrated electronics are of high quality, but their performance is not actually particularly better than the best single-boom antennas from other European companies like Blake, Kathrien, and Triax with comparable amplification. In North America, an Antennas Direct 91XG outperforms it. So, while the Chinese tri-beam designs are superficially similar to Televes designs, they are not based on any particularly strong technical premise. That's why those tri-boomed knockoffs need to be looked at as a waste of two booms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 117 (permalink) Old 2015-06-22, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Angry Montreal "HD Bunny" Antenna is Just A CM4040 with Camara Tripod

Recently a man in LaSalle, QC (in the Montreal area) has been selling and installing an indoor antenna called the "HD Bunny" on a camera tripod for indoor use but also outside (for which it is junk) and people should not trust that sales pitch's performance claims. You can see some bad reviews of the HD Bunny in our French and English threads covering the Montreal area.

Last edited by stampeder; 2015-06-22 at 06:26 PM. Reason: title and contents changed after replies
post #108 of 117 (permalink) Old 2015-06-22, 04:21 PM

Stampeder: The HD Bunny looks like a channel master 4040.

post #109 of 117 (permalink) Old 2015-06-22, 06:11 PM

Looks the CM4040 also looks exactly like the "Supersonic SC-602", which has a street price of around $10-15.
post #110 of 117 (permalink) Old 2015-06-22, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Yep okay thanks, that means that the HD Bunny is okay for certain uses but should not be considered a good outdoor antenna for people in the Montreal area wanting a full range of Canadian and US channels. If you look up the website of the HD Bunny there are some pretty outrageous performance claims.

I've updated Post #107.
post #111 of 117 (permalink) Old 2015-06-29, 09:42 AM
Rookie

omg it is excactly the Supersonic SC-602, he wants 370$ to install this on the roof, which includes a amp, I paid him $30 to use his spectrum analyzer at my place, lost 30 bucks, no prob! he is fired!!!
Samsquanch likes this.
post #112 of 117 (permalink) Old 2015-06-29, 09:52 AM
Rookie

Stampeder, thank you for all your guidance, I would like to know how can you tell the diff between an original CM4228 and a fake? is there a name stamp?

thanks again
post #113 of 117 (permalink) Old 2015-06-29, 10:19 AM
Rookie

I wish I'd done the same. FWIW, his HD Bunny installed on my roof on the South Shore only gets NBC and PBS Plattsburgh reliably from the U.S. and fails to pick up 5/10 transmitters from Montreal. I ordered an Antennas Direct DB8e and literally got better reception with it sitting on my living room floor.
zecinha likes this.
post #114 of 117 (permalink) Old 2015-07-08, 11:16 AM

Some guy's house I pass while walking mounted a no name 4 bay 'side ways'.

Like this: XXXX

One day I asked how many channels he picked up and he said between 33 and 38.
Which ironically is the same as my db4 mounted correctly.
post #115 of 117 (permalink) Old 2015-07-09, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Yep, some people have such good OTA options that they could put up a garden rake and get all the channels. When you try to tell them what is wrong with what they're doing you haven't got a chance of changing their mind...
post #116 of 117 (permalink) Old 2015-08-28, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
Recently a man in LaSalle, QC (in the Montreal area) has been selling and installing an indoor antenna called the "HD Bunny" on a camera tripod for indoor use but also outside (for which it is junk) and people should not trust that sales pitch's performance claims. You can see some bad reviews of the HD Bunny in our French and English threads covering the Montreal area.
Oh no, just noticed this popped up on a neighbour's house I couldn't resist snapping the photo this morning

Part of me wants to ring the bell and see what he's actually catching ... and part of me wants to just leave stampeder's antenna chart and the URL to this forum in his mailbox

It's discouraging because here is someone who genuinely wants to try OTA, and a potentially crappy performing antenna that didn't come cheap may turn them off OTA forever. For $300 there is just so much better hardware to put on a roof...

*sigh*
post #117 of 117 (permalink) Old 2015-09-06, 09:24 PM

Ring the bell. I'm super curious lol :P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.