Wacky, Tacky OTA Gear (What NOT To Buy!) - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 117 (permalink) Old 2011-09-09, 10:10 PM

HDTV101, yes no doubt I'll be hearing from this fellow over the winter or come spring to discuss replacement. The rotator housing is plastic; I've never seen that before! And the type of plastic that quickly becomes brittle after some UV exposure.

I told the gentleman to never attempt rotating with snow or ice on this antenna. It would likely kill the mechanism immediately.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 117 (permalink) Old 2012-01-04, 07:00 PM

Was at XS Cargo picking up a few Seiki BluRays on Boxing Day when I chanced upon a Belkin "Pure AV HDTV" antenna. $10 refurb so no returns. Took a chance as I can't find any Philips/Zenith Silver Sensors to hook up to the HDTV I bought for the basement rental.

This antenna though boosted can only receive the 2 CBC channels and none of the other 5. Tested the TV using my existing Philips and it gets all 7 channels with excellent levels (only difference is that the Belkin sits one level lower and has to go through a wooden wall - Philips direct LoS is obstructed by similar wall but big window is just under LoS.

Pure junk so stay away.
post #78 of 117 (permalink) Old 2012-01-17, 03:40 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
http://www.jensenaccessories.com/NR/.../0/TV611LG.jpg

This one is Jensen's Passive TV Antenna, the model 611.

Passive, they call it. There it sits very quietly, looking out the window, oblivious, lethargic, solemn, apathetic, pensive, dispassionate, bland, meek. Some people think it's really "deep", maybe heavily sedated, or perhaps a bit absent-minded. Others mistake the staid, placid vibe for serenity, pondering whether this Asian product is Confucian, maybe Zen Buddhist. No matter, it is guaranteed to retain its passive composure while you rant and scream at it about the awful reception.
Trying to recover... I've been laughing for 5 minutes straight!

post #79 of 117 (permalink) Old 2012-06-21, 10:34 PM

Look TV Antennas

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I've been seeing plenty of former LOOK TV antennas for sale (used, obviously) as "TV" antennas. Buyer beware, of course. Look TV--before they ceased operations--used high-frequency spectrum that's much higher than (and thus incompatible with) broadcast spectrum.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection
post #80 of 117 (permalink) Old 2012-06-22, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Yep, and if anyone needs further info on why Look Antennas are useless for OTA they should read the following old thread: Can I use an old Look-TV Antenna for OTA?
post #81 of 117 (permalink) Old 2012-06-23, 01:54 PM
Veteran

Location: Dunnville, Ontario on the Grand River, North shore Lake Erie
It LOOKS like LOOK OTA is defunct... LOOK here! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Look_Communications

Though it seemed to be a good alternative to cable/satelite providers, LOOK OTA failed to make profit. The antenna might actually be useful to snag some free satelite signals using a FTA box. Probably not worth the effort though. Hmmm,... a source for spare experimental parts anyone?

3D SSH III with ZZ4 refl. http://imageshack.us/user/jmsdigital
post #82 of 117 (permalink) Old 2012-06-23, 06:26 PM

^^^^ Not sure about satellite, but you could possibly use their antennas for WiFi applications.

Either way, the point here is that the equipment is not suitable for OTA broadcast TV reception. Yet some people are selling them used as "TV antennas". One ad I saw on Kijiji was selling the antenna and tripod for $70! Locally, I can buy the same tripod brand-new for about $30.

You can re-purpose the tripods, masts and coax for OTA, but ditch the LOOK antenna for TV. And don't pay too much to someone claiming that it's a TV antenna.

post #83 of 117 (permalink) Old 2012-06-26, 08:59 AM
Veteran

Satellite, definitely no.

Other microwave, if you are in line from the transmitter, and have the correct tuner, perhaps.
post #84 of 117 (permalink) Old 2012-08-03, 02:51 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Found another over hyped antenna, the NorthVu NV20 Pro.

This "Ottawa made antenna" claims to be the "the first commercially available Indoor TV Antenna to incorporate NorthVu's patent-pending fractal antenna system" whatever that means. They claim it is Omni-Directional, yet also say it "is perfect for pulling in more channels in multipath environments than traditional TV antennas," two things that contradict each other in antenna design since the antenna has no idea which are the desired or undesired signals. The only way an antenna can deal with multipath is by being very directional.

Another warning sign is that they don't provide any meaningful specifications for the antenna other than a vague "Reception Range" and "Reception Frequencies". Strangely they say it works on VHF from 88 MHz to 218 MHz which conspicuously includes channel 6 on VHF-LO but excludes channels 2-5.

They even provide a link to a review in the Ottawa Citizen where the only comparison the author makes is that it doesn't work as well as his neighbor's antenna, but yet he still manages to recommend it.

My recommendation is stay away from this one.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #85 of 117 (permalink) Old 2012-08-03, 04:59 PM

Good catch, Roger1818. Definitely one to avoid.

post #86 of 117 (permalink) Old 2012-08-19, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Good catch, Roger1818. Definitely one to avoid.
Good catch indeed. And at $60 CDN each there are so many better options available in that price range...
post #87 of 117 (permalink) Old 2012-11-02, 07:24 PM
Veteran

Location: Dunnville, Ontario on the Grand River, North shore Lake Erie
Talking Another wonder-antenna ad?

This SP6 AX-969 antenna sounds so wonderful that I just had to copy the whole thing here:

Spectrum6 Amplified Outdoor TV Antenna with Motor Rotor SP6 AX-969
http://www.spectrumantenna.com/Long-...enna-p/sp6.htm

Highest Rated Outdoor TV Antenna. 2012 Model Antenna Pros Amplified Digital Outdoor HD TV Antenna with 360 Degree Motorized Rotation UHF/VHF AX-969 Spectrum 6

•2012 Model - The AX-969 Spectrum 6 comes in a sleek design and 3 boom power for 2012
•Our best antenna for UHF/VHF TV reception!
•CEA certified for all color zones
•Get crisp clear signals. Over the air (OTA) broadcasts are not compressed like cable or satellite so you will get the clearest picture using an over the air antenna such as this one.
•Pick up stations from up to 150 Miles. Great for picking up signals from up to 150 miles away thanks to the new hiVOLT signal booster and control box. The hiVOLT control box has a high gain amplifier and can control the rotation of the antenna. It also has overload protection.
•Any Color Code - This large directional antenna can be used in any color code specified on AntennaWeb.org

•Channels 1-69
•Frequency (VHF) 40-300MHZ
•Frequency(UHF) 470-862MHz
•Gain(VHF) 17 to 23dB
•Gain(UHF) 25 to 35dB
•Power 3W
•Max. Rotation 360˚
•Impedance 75Ω
•Max. Output Level 145 dBµV
•Working Voltage 110V/60Hz
•Noise Margin <3dB

Features

•Dimensions are 38" x 23" x 15"
•Built-in high gain booster
•New 2012 model hiVOLT signal booster and control unit with overload protection function
•3 boom design makes the reception stronger and signal clearer
•18 elements for maximum reception
•Infrared remote controlled rotor for long distance reception and anti-interference
•Tool free installation
•360 degree rotation by remote control
•UHF/VHF TV and FM radio
•Super active outdoor antenna
•High quality far ranging reception, up to 150 miles
•Optional manual operation
•Easy to install and operate
•Maximum Signal Amplification with the hiVOLT signal booster box
•Works on all digital TVs. One cable solution for all your TVs at home.
•2 TV outputs. If you want to connect to more than 2 TVs, use a distribution amplifier.
•Grabs all digital and analog signals
•Install outdoors or in the attic
•Range up to 150 miles
•Super low noise amplifier, less than 3dB
•Easy to mount and install. Only a small 1" diameter mounting pole is needed but has adjustable clamp for larger poles.
•DTV transition ready! Up to a 150 mile reception range!
•Grabs local channels fast and clearly!
•Full U.S.,Canada, and Mexico Coverage

The antenna comes with a built-in rotor (motor), which can turn a full 360 degrees using the infrared remote control included in the package. This is the perfect solution for any rural or suburban area because it can pick up signals for up to 150 miles. Since the antenna can be aimed in any particular direction, you will be able to pick up TV signals much better than with a regular fixed or rabbit ears antenna.This is because directional antennas are more focused so it can have a higher dB gain. The higher the gain, the better it is for picking up signals from far away. If you are close to the broadcast towers you should not get a high gain antenna, but rather a lower gain one so that it is less directional.

Easy Installation
This unit is easy to install and requires no additional tools. Assembles in minutes. Only a small 1" diameter mounting pole is needed. Although the pole is not included, it can be easily purchased at any hardware store.

3D SSH III with ZZ4 refl. http://imageshack.us/user/jmsdigital
post #88 of 117 (permalink) Old 2012-11-02, 07:59 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ota_canuck View Post
•Channels 1-69
Wow! It even receives channel 1! LOL

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #89 of 117 (permalink) Old 2012-11-02, 08:08 PM
Rookie

where's the kitchen sink?
post #90 of 117 (permalink) Old 2012-11-02, 10:03 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Wow! It even receives channel 1! LOL
Does it also include a time travel function, so you can go back to when there was a channel 1?. ;-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.