Pros and Cons of Going OTA - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 705 (permalink) Old 2005-05-11, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

I suspect quite a few people are fed up with CATV/DBS and a lack of perceived value but don't know about OTA.

Geographic location is a big one, of course. Right now it looks like the only Canadians who could conceivably go 100% OTA are in the GTA/905/Golden Horseshoe area, and thats if they're comfortable with all the issues that have come up in this thread.

With BC's Lower Mainland and some SE parts of Vancouver Island its still a tossup as to whether the SeaTac digital signals are viable enough for regular viewing, and its also murky whether the locals will get serious about DTV when CBC-HD and SRC-HD go live in autumn.

I think parts of NS and NB will be able to get some Maine DTV stations OTA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 705 (permalink) Old 2005-05-12, 12:13 AM

Ota

This is absolutly not fair. Out here in the west the only OTA are the local CBC CTV Globe and A Channel. As far as I know there is no HD OTA. There should be some kind of compensation for us poor western schmucks.
I should write to those coctail fancypanters at the CRTC and see if they can't get some of JC's good buddy's to send us some of those plain envelopes that contain the $100. bills out west.

Sorry Hugh if this breaches rules, but I know for sure that by the time OTA HD gets anywhere near western Canada, some regulation will appear out of Ottawa that requires a fee to watch OTA HD.

Ed H
post #18 of 705 (permalink) Old 2005-05-12, 12:20 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
You poor Albertans - with the highest income in the land, with the lowest income tax rate and with no PST. We'll send you some 8VSB signals real soon...

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #19 of 705 (permalink) Old 2005-05-12, 12:55 AM

Cut your cable.....tell your friends about OTA HDTV

In response to 57, cable "ain't" free either. As I have mentioned in my other posts, getting hooked on the crack cocaine of cable (priced on a monthly basis low enough that you continue to buy) is easy to do. Its almost the equivalent of the no money down - too easy to pass up. But if you do the math cable can cost the average viewer who doesn't watch much more than network television THOUSANDS over time when compared to a one shot hit for OTA gear.

I understand that you like the ability to drive your Porsche TV every night fully loaded with all the options, and if you enjoy it great. No one is arguing the point and I respect your choice. But if all a segment of the population wants is basic Volkswagen TV then they are getting ripped off with their monthly cable bills (Porsche TV). The game for the cable cos is simply to increase the amount of dollars they squeeze for you each month (since when has your cable bill gone down). For too long people who watch television have had no choice but to pay their cable co. Analog OTA truly was not a comparable option. Digital OTA (in certain border regions of Canada) gives the average Joe a real choice and that's my point.
post #20 of 705 (permalink) Old 2005-05-12, 12:59 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I don't think we're in disagreement. The only disagreement may be the percentage of people willing to "drive the VW". 5%, 20%?

post #21 of 705 (permalink) Old 2005-05-12, 01:10 AM

Digital OTA - Spread the word......

Agreed. I think that digital OTA will only be attractive to a slice of the current cable market, but if you make the option to move to OTA as easy as calling 1-800-install ota or picking up the gear at FS or BB in Canada then at least the average Joe could have a choice.

Digital OTA also needs some real coverage in the press to increase awareness.
post #22 of 705 (permalink) Old 2005-05-12, 08:22 AM
Veteran

I'm leaning towards an OTA set up.

I think the biggest hurdle for most chaps is "You're going to put what on the roof of my pretty house ?"

I've counted around 4 antennas is my area (one is obviously a HAM rig).

Without specialty channels and movies, there would be little to watch (for me).

simplicity is genius...
post #23 of 705 (permalink) Old 2005-05-13, 04:40 PM

Ask and you shall recieve ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57
OTA doesn't do:

- HD DVR - once you have a DVR, it'd be "impossible" to "go back (unless you go for a kludgy D-VHS or for an HTPC (beyond the capabilities of most people) I haven't watched anything live since the late 1970s.

http://us.lge.com/Product/proddetail...tegory_level=3
post #24 of 705 (permalink) Old 2005-05-13, 04:44 PM

Mingy, that link was already provided in post 12 and responded to.

post #25 of 705 (permalink) Old 2005-05-13, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable Free
Agreed. I think that digital OTA will only be attractive to a slice of the current cable market, but if you make the option to move to OTA as easy as calling 1-800-install ota or picking up the gear at FS or BB in Canada then at least the average Joe could have a choice.

Digital OTA also needs some real coverage in the press to increase awareness.
The problem is, since there's very little money to be made OTA (ie. the only money they get is for the equipment that you buy once), I don't see anyone going all-out and marketing OTA. They'd much rather get in on the cable/satellite on-going profit-making schemes.
post #26 of 705 (permalink) Old 2005-05-13, 04:58 PM

Most of what I watch is prime time U.S. network programming. I can say without a doubt, if I lived in an area where I could get OTA HD, that is all I would have. Of course, since I am Edmonton, no such luck...
post #27 of 705 (permalink) Old 2005-05-13, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjreid
The problem is, since there's very little money to be made OTA (ie. the only money they get is for the equipment that you buy once), I don't see anyone going all-out and marketing OTA. They'd much rather get in on the cable/satellite on-going profit-making schemes.
I'd have to agree, and that's the way its always been in the TV business since the 1950s. Its the little mom & pop shops that do the extraordinary or unusual stuff, not the Future Shops or Best Buys.
post #28 of 705 (permalink) Old 2005-05-13, 06:36 PM

I have only been investigating the OTA stuff for a couple of weeks, although I did talk to an installer several months ago about it.
Another installer I talked to a couple of days ago say's most of his work is still antennas.
Living in an area that isnt serviced by cable (lucky) Satellite is one way to go, I had SC for a while but couldnt see paying that much for basic when I can get it from an antenna.
Oh yeah I can get the same programming shown at different times accross the country....whooppee sh&^t
post #29 of 705 (permalink) Old 2005-05-14, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
I'd have to agree, and that's the way its always been in the TV business since the 1950s. Its the little mom & pop shops that do the extraordinary or unusual stuff, not the Future Shops or Best Buys.
For the record all the big boys in the US do carry OTA equipment (ATSC tuners and ATSC tuner cards). There is money to be made in selling the equipment in the same way there is money to be made selling any piece of electronics hardware. Circuit City doesn't care what it is, as long as they can make money. Its the cable cos and satellite cos who have an incentive in Canada (and if you believe in conspiracy theories, add the CRTC to the list) for the average Joe not to know or have easily available to them OTA digital hardware. The threat of losing money is as strong a motivator as the possibility of making money. I have to wonder why this equipment is not available in Canada (other than through the odd one shop wonder who takes the initiative to import a few pieces for his clients) through the big box stores (CC, BB even Wal Mart). Something doesn't smell right.
post #30 of 705 (permalink) Old 2005-05-18, 11:30 AM

West Hartford, CT

Gee, I went all OTA HDTV: but I have 12 digital chnnels available at my house...

WFSB-DT CBS
WTNH-DT ABC
WUVN-DT UNI (so, it's Spanish: it still counts!)
WTXX-DT WB
WEDN-DT PBS
WHPX-DT PAX
WWLP-DT NBC
WVIT-DT NBC
WGGB-DT ABC
WGBY-DT PBS
WCTX-DT UPN
WTIC-DT FOX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.