How much would/did you pay for OTA? - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

View Poll Results: How much would/did you pay for OTA?
Less than $100 306 30.39%
$100 to $500 511 50.74%
$500 to $1,000 121 12.02%
The sky's the limit. I need the best! 22 2.18%
I'm broke, you insensitive clod! 47 4.67%
Voters: 1007. You may not vote on this poll

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 276 (permalink) Old 2008-04-23, 03:47 PM

free tv worth the cost !

100 $ for CM4228 antenna
100 $ for the rotator
150 $ for cables, and grounding rod + cable, and connectors...

total 350$

i was paying 60 dollars a month for digital cable, no HD, which i have now...

it's important to send the message: Free OTA tv channels it's a must in a democracy !

and with digital television in the next years, the picture is, and will be, clear like never before, no more ghosting, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 276 (permalink) Old 2008-04-28, 10:20 PM

The essentials:

Bought 1 indoor antenna $70 attached to the living room HDTV. Found a sweet spot where I can get the 3 existing OTA HD channels - CBC, CTV, Global - but it's an awkward/ugly location for the antenna. A more unobtrusive location gets 2. Can't wait for CTV to go full power.

The non-essentials:

Home brew HD recorder (for lack of a better description): Bought an Elegato EyeTV $250 and indoor antenna $70, attached them to an existing iMac. Good software included, but no Canadian EPG. OK schedule from ATSC signal, can record program in schedule or based on start/end time. Records unaltered digital signal to hard drive. Wrote a little script to auto-convert finished recordings to high quality divx and copy to DVD-RW. Can watch these in existing PS3 attached to living room HDTV. Can also sometimes stream more compressed divx files via existing wireless router to the PS3, but it can be a bit jerky so this is not really an option.

Another non-essential: Originally just attached an existing divx-capable DVD player to the bedroom PC. However, toy-lust led me to pick up a Mac mini ($850 but I had a bunch of gift cards to help rationalize the purchase) and attach it to the bedroom HDTV via VGA, along with existing wireless keyboard and mouse from the spare parts closet. This was amazingly easy - everything worked with only minor fiddling. Can watch recorded OTA shows on DVD-RW. Also have been downloading torrents to the mini like crazy to watch at bedtime and on lazy rainy days. Also, the DVD player software included with the mini does a great job with normal DVDs. Haven't tried streaming from the mini to the PS3 yet. Haven't tried burning torrented stuff from the mini to DVD yet, but it's possible. Except when running a DVD at high speed (e.g. copying files off a DVD) the mini is really, really, really quiet, even when playing DVDs. And it's small and looks great too. No buyer's remorse here (unlike the Shaw HD PVR!)

With the local HDTV channels for news and network shows, torrents, and rental DVDs, I don't think we need Shaw any more. The 2 things we watch religiously - news and Coronation Street - are available over the air, and we can record Corrie in HD with the Elegato or grab a torrent if we missed something. The extra HDTV channels available from Shaw are nice in theory, but we don't really watch them much, and the picture and sound problems with Shaw cable make the $700 HD PVR, $400 HD box, and monthly charge seem like a real waste.
post #78 of 276 (permalink) Old 2008-05-06, 03:43 PM

OTA costs

KWorld Dual tuner PC card 135.00
RCA UHF antenna 30.00
Beyond TV software 75.00......been using this setup for 4 yrs
The real cost came with having to buy larger hard drives because recording high def takes huge amounts of hard drive space...LOL

Sony 46XBR3, STR-DE898, PS3 60GB, JBL fronts, Bose rears, Polk sub/center, HK-DVD22, BellTVHD, Harmony1

post #79 of 276 (permalink) Old 2008-07-05, 01:32 PM

Entry for cheapest OTA = $70.19

Hauppauge WinTV 950 USB : $60 Future Shop plus PST/GST = $64.60

75-300 balun, $5 London Drugs plus PST/GST = $5.59

Antenna: loop antenna made with a bit of aluminum foil, cardboard, glue, clothespins and the balun. Free.

Total: $70.19.

Results: 3 channels:

CBC (CBUT-DT 2.1)
US Independent (KVOS-DT 12.1)
Global (CHAN-DT 8.1)

The computer, of course, is extra, but only cost me $300 for an IBM refurb.

The WinTV was on sale after Christmas. I was ready to build a coat-hanger antenna until I saw the loop antenna videos online, and thought to myself: foil is quicker and cheaper. Why not give it a try? And it works!
post #80 of 276 (permalink) Old 2008-07-05, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

JohnL, keeping in mind the low cost of free here's a thread with other (probably better) DIY antennas that might allow you to get CTV (CIVT-DT 32.1) too:

Original OTA Build-It-Yourself Antennas & Gear (Now Closed)
post #81 of 276 (permalink) Old 2008-07-08, 03:37 PM
Rookie

hdhomerun x2: $340
cm4221 x2: $60
cm7777: $50
silverstone grandia (htpc case): $180

I basically transformed my old pc into a media center box running MythTV.
post #82 of 276 (permalink) Old 2008-07-08, 05:45 PM

RCA Indoor/Outdoor amplified antenna: $10 (stripped down for amplifier)
Home made 4 bay bowtie antenna - $0
Digital Tuner (included in TV) -$0
Cable Run - $5

Total Costs: $15 to pick up all digital channels from Toronto and Buffalo (except MyTV :S)
post #83 of 276 (permalink) Old 2008-08-02, 09:27 PM

- Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 950 = 112.87$
- Cable = 1.13$*
- Clothes Hanger (5) = 1.13$*
- Homemade antenna = 0.00$ =)

*Dollar Store lol

Getting CBMT-HD and CBFT-DT from the attic =)

Could use the ATSC tuner from my dad's HDTV but i wanted to have HD in my room over my 24" screen =)

And i'm getting a CM4228 soon to get more channels =) Around another 100$
post #84 of 276 (permalink) Old 2008-08-10, 11:11 PM

Linux MythTv DVR and two DTV's

Total investment in OTA HDTV is $2000.
This includes new TV purchases (old TV blew up .... very timely!) and reusing various PC's that were around the house, but I include the prices for those who don't have an electronics graveyard in their basement. :-)

HDTV tuners:

Olevia 532H = $550 (The Source)
Olevia 537H = $600 (TigerDirect.ca)
ATI HDTV Wonder PCI card = $100 (TigerDirect.ca)

HDTV signal:

Antenna CM 4221 = $65 (thanks to Yaamon)
Pre-Amp CM 7777 = $73 (www partsforhdtv com on Esna Park Drive in Markham)

Misc:

Splitters = $2 a piece from (partsforhdtv com)
30m RG6 Cable and ends = $14 (partsforhdtv com)

MythTV front-end client computers (one per TV):
IBM ThinkCenter S50 8183 PIV 3Ghz (small footprint PC) = $200 (bought used this year)
Gateway AMD 3800+ (refurbished) = $350 (bought two years ago)
Microsoft MCE remote = $30 (TigerDirect.ca)

MythTV back-end recording computer (in basement)
PIII 733Mhz = $0 (10 year old PC that was primary PC for family till one year ago)
Using existing inventory of IDE disks 9GB (Ubuntu OS), 40GB (swap and transcodes) and 160GB (OTA MPEG2 recordings)

The front-end computers also play media from DVD, home videos, internet (live curling from CBC.com when the games aren't broadcast on CBLT-DT), and much more.

I will transition from the PIII back-end to a quad core when prices drop, I recently saw a deal at TigerDirect to build my own Quad Intel bare bones system for $299, but I assume before too long that price will come down. I want the quad core system on the backend when I buy additional HD tuner(s), plus transcoding videos to store things longer term, and to allow for newer MythTv features such as connecting in from the internet to stream shows using Flash viewer, etc. Right now, the PIII back-end can reliably record one show at >2MB/s (1080i channels are around 17Mb/s) and have one PC watching that show or another show. When two PC's are watching recordings, the PC does not have the I/O or CPU to provide this as, I have not researched too much, just enjoying the shows.
post #85 of 276 (permalink) Old 2008-08-11, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Just a reminder about the pricing...

How much would/did you pay for OTA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Def-Jam-Dr-Jazzy-Jay
ATI HDTV Wonder PCI card = $100 (TigerDirect.ca)

HDTV signal:

Antenna CM 4221 = $65 (thanks to Yaamon)
Pre-Amp CM 7777 = $73 (www partsforhdtv com on Esna Park Drive in Markham)

Misc:

Splitters = $2 a piece from (partsforhdtv com)
30m RG6 Cable and ends = $14 (partsforhdtv com)
< $300

Great info though!
post #86 of 276 (permalink) Old 2008-08-11, 03:52 PM
Veteran

I don't think I actually made a post here, but I was set up with less than $150 at first.
HVR-950 (~$100 at the time)
PHDTV3 (~$40 at the time)

Then for another $150 I got a 4228 set up including cable/mounting and replacement of old TV for $1100 brings the grand total to $1400 for everything
or $250 for pc setup with 4228 (excluding the phdtv3, since the 4228 replaces it) or $1250 for the tv setup, which includes a 42" LCD, a very good price.

most people already have the TV or PC already, so you'd be looking at as low as $40-100, if you already have a capable TV. If you go the PC route, $100-160 should have you set up fairly well.

oh, and I had an existing amp/splitter, roughly $40 worth, I'd say.
post #87 of 276 (permalink) Old 2008-08-21, 01:34 PM

Free TV OTA after spending so much on gear is not that free anymore LOL!

My interest in OTA has triggered more expenses than if I had stayed with my cable provider.

However this is a good hobby that has given me so many hours of pleasure. My daytime job is an office-job and after an entire day at work, my brain is so loaded and this hands-on hobby is good for my mind. The reward is priceless.

Since I discovered OTA/ATSC and hi-definition TV about 8 months this is what I have spent:

- Samsung HTF-260: $100
- Hisense STB box: $70
- Philips DVDR3575H 160GB recorder with ATSC tuner: $275
- Toshiba 42 '' Reza LCD TV with ATSC tuner: $1,200
- Built many many DIY antennas: 2-bay, 4-bay, 8-bay bowtie reflectors, a couple of Yagi antennas aimed at receiving WVNY channel 13 but have not had any luck so far with this one from where I live in Laval. I estimate that I have spent at least $500 in parts experimenting with antennas ($100 Channel Master 7778 amplifier, $10 G.E. amplifier from Addison that turned out to work best for my set-up and miscelleaneous hardware)
- I am building now a double bay version of the Gray-Hoverman, will test it soon.
post #88 of 276 (permalink) Old 2008-08-21, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungt1999
However this is a good hobby that has given me so many hours of pleasure.
You've got me thinking (shaking my head, actually!) over what my lifetime OTA expenses must be by now for my OTA hobby... I can't even guess!

Anyways if I was just starting out now I'd probably not have to pay much at all since my HDTV has an ATSC tuner and I'd build my own SBGH antenna for the cost of the parts. That would leave just the cost of coax cable, splitters, etc. so the total cost would be near about $100.
post #89 of 276 (permalink) Old 2008-08-21, 07:51 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungt1999 View Post
Free TV OTA after spending so much on gear is not that free anymore LOL!

My interest in OTA has triggered more expenses than if I had stayed with my cable provider.
I wouldnt say you've spent more than you would on cable..
Cable was $60/month for us - $720 a year - 2 years pays off our entire setup and its free from then on (leave off the TV and our antenna + cabling is paid for in less than 3 months!)

You've got up to 4 tv's worth of OTA ability there, what would that cost you for cable boxes, etc each month? at $100/mo you break even in 10 months!
The TV is paid for after 2 years.. definitely a great deal
post #90 of 276 (permalink) Old 2008-09-19, 10:55 PM
Rookie

Hi,
Here is a breakdown of costs (household installation):
CM4228- $110
3m Mast (fence post)- $10
Tripod (Channel Master)- $35
Coax cable [25m] and connectors- free
RG6 compression tool (Ideal #30-603)- $80

Ground Plate (home depot) - $30
Ground cable #10AWG as per NFPA70 (I couldn't find specific reference in Canadian/ Ontario Electrical Code)- $30 ($1.40/m)
Coax Ground block- existing
amplifier (Electrline EDA 2400) - $0 (existing)

Total < $300

Last edited by stampeder; 2008-09-20 at 02:46 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.