How much would/did you pay for OTA? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

View Poll Results: How much would/did you pay for OTA?
Less than $100 306 30.36%
$100 to $500 512 50.79%
$500 to $1,000 121 12.00%
The sky's the limit. I need the best! 22 2.18%
I'm broke, you insensitive clod! 47 4.66%
Voters: 1008. You may not vote on this poll

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-01-20, 09:47 AM
Member #1

Nice post and something to think about if you are considering OTA.

I'm sure a do it yourselfer could reduce some of those costs and if you amortize the cost over 4 years, the price would be considerably lower but the point is well taken - free tv ain't free!

Personally (as he awaits the bricks being thrown at him), I think cable and satellite television is a great deal in this country. Much cheaper than the U.S. and for the price of taking the wife and two kids to the movies once, I get an entire month of entertainment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-01-20, 10:22 AM

I agree cable and satellite is a good deal in Canada compared to our US neighbors, and OTA can get expensive to setup. The biggest issue I have is the darn CRTC regulations here in Canada. We don't exactly have free choice to our viewing desires. My OTA setup(still in the process of actually installing it) is for receiving US OTA digital signals so as not to have to deal with ExpressVu Simsubs anymore. That alone is worth whatever it ends up costing me to setup OTA(within reason).
post #18 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-01-20, 10:58 AM

Yep.... but the second year is free! Hmm how about the third year?

Don't know anything about cable really concidering I live in the 98% portion of the country that is un cabled so to speak but does that $37.50 include the ability to get you your HD you want to record.
bluelacedred likes this.

Panasonic PT47WX53, Humax HFA100, Denon AVR 1610 surround, CM4228 Antenna, WD TVlive

post #19 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-01-20, 11:13 AM
Member #1

Quote:
My OTA setup(still in the process of actually installing it) is for receiving US OTA digital signals so as not to have to deal with ExpressVu Simsubs anymore. That alone is worth whatever it ends up costing me to setup OTA(within reason).
There is no one solution that is satisfactory to everyone.

I just think dark_breaka made a valid point that OTA is NOT free which is the way most people describe it.

Like Dark_breaka, a satisfactory OTA solution was going to cost me hundreds of dollars, disruption in the house running wires, and a fairly large and unattractive antenna on my house!
post #20 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-01-20, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Exclamation So what are you complaining about?

Considering that we have had an ongoing poll here of what people have been paying for OTA gear, and that I personally have always said that OTA HD programming is free of charge to the consumer and that if a person cancels part or all of their CATV or DBS HD programming the OTA gear will pay for itself over time, and that DHCers themselves are seeing that the picture quality is the best you can get, and that I have said that we must respect the decisions of others:

WHAT PART OF THAT DIDN'T YOU GET, Dark_Breaka?

Why come into my living room and kick my dog? If I came to Best Buy where you work, Dark_Breaka, how would you feel if I totally disregarded anything you said and then complained to everyone about it?

Folks, there is a "Pros & Cons of Going OTA" thread here too, and this has all been covered there. Remember that the OTA Forum is a Knowledge Base, so use it before you buy things or knock people for their programming choices.
post #21 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-01-20, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh
...and a fairly large and unattractive antenna on my house!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

BTW I'll shortly be merging this thread with the "How Much Did/Would You Pay For OTA" thread where that poll is.
post #22 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-01-21, 08:13 AM

OTA is not quite free but almost !!

Dark_Breaka, Don't take this personally ok, but....

Your basic cable without hd probably cost you $60/motn add hd and that's $10/month ? Plus you need a upgraded receiver maybe $150 upfront ? So, about $1000 the first year then, $840 per year after that. Don't forget to add price increases also.
OTA upfront cost of $450 is what you invested. Let's just say you keep cable for 4 years then your cost is $2896 incl taxes or, $60/month plus increases. OTA cost over same period is about $9/month. But, gets cheaper every year. Is your cable guaranteed to lower each year ?
Sorry I'm wrong OTA is free. Looking at it another way after about 5 months or so. Your gear is free, compared to those who continue with cable.
post #23 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-01-21, 04:12 PM
DHC Supporter

Plus, how does one put a price tag on the fun of the challenge and the learning curve...it could become a hobby.
Joe.
post #24 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-01-21, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by probak118
Dark_Breaka, Don't take this personally ok, but....
Heh....well this is the thing. I work for Best Buy and basically Rogers doesn't check if I'm still employed at Best Buy (don't know why.), so i'm basically entitled to this for whoever knows how long:

8300HD Receiver 13.50/month
Digital Cable with all Channels (including all mpix + mchannels, all hd incl. West Coast, all specialty channels, etc.) 30.00/month

Total: 43.50+Tax
1 Year: 522.00+Tax

LOL...i guess OTA is cheaper....but it's just harder to compare to Rogers since you get more than 16HD channels.
post #25 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-01-21, 05:55 PM
Member #1

probak118, do you have a point?

Instead of dumping on people who make an interesting, just read it and move on.

He never said it was free, just not cheap.
post #26 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-01-21, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

I'd also like to say that I'm not Terry Tate, Office Linebacker:

http://www.milkandcookies.com/keywords/terrytate/ (Watch them all!)

OTA is a love of mine, a true hobby. I ain't dissin' nobody. All heart, baby!
post #27 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-01-22, 08:56 AM

Did not try to flame another member(s) comments.

I was onlly going back to Dark_Breaka's comment of what his gear(OTA) was costing him. He compared it to the cost of his education. I just had a little fun on my wording it. As you saw , I said don't take it personally at the start just to keep it in perspective.

"That's half a thousand dollars, or the equivalent of one course"

I was also only going back to Stampeder's comment of his feeling's on OTA being "free". When I mentioned that it is free. Never, did I say that Dark_ Breaka argued that point.

But to keep the peace here. I'm sorry for offending obviously someone. I will try to keep serious for now on ( Better tie my two typing finger up ) LOL
post #28 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-01-22, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Breaka
Should've stuck to cable...lol.
An HD DVR rental would cost an extra $15 to $20/month.

Many of us have spent a lot more than $450 and do not have recording capabilities. You did well and have a nice set-up.
post #29 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-01-22, 12:38 PM
Veteran

When i bought my HDTV last spring, i bought an antenna, pipe, hardware, cable etc., I was planning on getting my HD only over-the air - Free.
Then i bought another antenna. I'm up to about $400. and installed it all myself. I already had an expressvu PVR for SD. I thought that would do it.
But, I couldn't record it and my wife doesn't get the changing inputs for OTA. I read about the HDPVR on here, so sure enough, i run out and buy the 9200. plus pay BEV another $10.00 per month.
I'm really impressed with HD, so then i needed a Digital surround reciever.
Bought the poineer 1015tx, and a couple more speakers - $775.
Then i had to run speaker wires, hang the surrounds and rears from walls and ceiling. And i'm not done yet!! It grows!! Has a life of its own. Can't wait for an HD-DVD of some sort.

I've been working in the broadcast business for 23 years; don't ever get the idea that TV is there for your entertainment or as a public service. TV is there for people to take your money and spread propaganda.
post #30 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-01-31, 09:22 PM

If you are fortunate enough to live in a good area for OTA, it is fairly cheap. My complete OTA setup cost me $140

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.