OTA Mounts, Towers, Rigging Hardware - Page 63 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #931 of 2016 (permalink) Old 2009-06-30, 11:06 AM

I have three neighbors with antennas and metal roofs. They report excellent performance with their antennas (mounted 5 to 7 feet above the ridge).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 2016 (permalink) Old 2009-06-30, 11:38 AM
Member #1

Quote:
Also how important is the height above the roof for reception?
From Stampeder's FAQ
Quote:
Mount antennas outdoors and as high as possible, free from obstructions
You want a clear view of the sky hence "the higher the better" logic.
post #933 of 2016 (permalink) Old 2009-06-30, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DdDave View Post
...I think the odds of hitting a stud are pretty minimal and not worth the effort...
Yeah I'll be putting it up just with the tapcon screws; tomorrow, weather permitting.

I guess I'm just a bit worried with the strong windstorms that we seem to be getting the last couple of years. Typical wind direction is into the wall that will have the antenna mount. The wind would create a lot of outward pressure on the mast end which is attached to the wall?

A bottle of red... ooooh a bottle of white... whatever kind of mood you're in tonight...
post #934 of 2016 (permalink) Old 2009-06-30, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

David_Hanlon, if it doesn't seem to be solid enough you might want to go with guy wires just for the extra wind resistance. Thankfully your single CM4221HD does not have much of a wind catcher profile though.
post #935 of 2016 (permalink) Old 2009-07-01, 12:32 PM

Tapcons in brick, not mortar

Quote:
Yeah I'll be putting it up just with the tapcon screws
I found a site with some tapcon installation tips, they advise to install the tapcons in the brick, not the mortar. Some sites say you can do either, but the general opinion seems to be in the brick, not the mortar.

http://www.itwproline.com.au/Tapcon/default.aspx
post #936 of 2016 (permalink) Old 2009-07-01, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DdDave View Post
I found a site with some tapcon installation tips, they advise to install the tapcons in the brick, not the mortar. Some sites say you can do either, but the general opinion seems to be in the brick, not the mortar.

http://www.itwproline.com.au/Tapcon/default.aspx
Yes...I agree DdDave.
Tapcons should only be used in brick.
If you have to fix to concrete,use expansion anchors or lag bolts and shields.

Either way,you still have to drill holes.Small ones for Tapcons or larger ones for anchors or sleeves.

LG-42PC5D,Antennas Direct DB8,CM0068C Preamp,CM9512A Rotor,CM 9537 Remote Control ,Tii - Gas Surge Arrestor
post #937 of 2016 (permalink) Old 2009-07-01, 01:31 PM

Angry My Antenna Is For The Birds!

the darn birds are using my antenna as a perching ground for there territorial area. Bird crap is collecting and this is not sitting well with me.

I found a suggestion that I will adapt when the new pre amp comes in. I am gonna use black tie wraps and along the top rung of my 4221HD I will run it along spacing them around 2-3 cm's apart with the length's cut longer and facing upwards terminating the ends with 45 degree cuts.

I really don't want a fake owl up there. My neighbors will really think I'm off the wall.

I'll take a picture of this set up when I'm done. I'm sure I'm not the first with bird issue's nor the last.

Mark

roof mounted 35ft UHF Antennas Direct XG91, VHF Delhi VIP 302SR, RC 6292, Tii Coaxial Lightning Surge Protection

Last edited by stampeder; 2009-07-01 at 01:59 PM. Reason: moved to this thread
post #938 of 2016 (permalink) Old 2009-07-01, 01:48 PM

I've seen something similar - plastic prongy cat whisker things - used on wide window ledges of an office building to keep pigeons away. I wasn't there long enough to do extensive observation, but I never saw a sign of a pigeon or any pigeon guano on those ledges.
post #939 of 2016 (permalink) Old 2009-07-01, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanaMark
the darn birds are using my antenna as a perching ground for there territorial area. Bird crap is collecting
Time for a plastic owl on a bobble-head mount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanaMark
I really don't want a fake owl up there. My neighbors will really think I'm off the wall.
Neighbours schmeighbours... this is war!
post #940 of 2016 (permalink) Old 2009-07-01, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keef
plastic prongy cat whisker things
Or a piece of treated lumber with dozens of long nails through it, pointing upwards. Unfortunately that would not be suitable for an antenna.
post #941 of 2016 (permalink) Old 2009-07-02, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehaggis View Post
Yes...I agree DdDave.
Tapcons should only be used in brick.
If you have to fix to concrete,use expansion anchors or lag bolts and shields.

Either way,you still have to drill holes.Small ones for Tapcons or larger ones for anchors or sleeves.
Well it's up. Tapcon screws are into the brick, not mortar. But I'll still be nervous during the first windstorm. Maybe I'll watch something and if I suddenly get 'no signal' followed by a loud crash...

A bottle of red... ooooh a bottle of white... whatever kind of mood you're in tonight...
post #942 of 2016 (permalink) Old 2009-07-03, 11:49 AM
Rookie

Pigeons, you say

I put a plastic owl, available at Home Depot or TSC stores up on the top of the antenna post to keep 'em off my bowties. Don't see birds coming around at all anymore.
Oops, sorry, didn't see that its not an option!

Last edited by Bumpstop; 2009-07-03 at 11:51 AM. Reason: stupidity
post #943 of 2016 (permalink) Old 2009-07-03, 11:56 AM
Rookie

Wire reinforced glass

Hi:
I have an apartment on the top floor of the building. It has a shaft going up to the roof to allow light down into the apartment, and there is a glass skylight up top there, in which I was considering raising an antenna - there is sufficient room to rotate the antenna to tune into whatever station. Overall the skylight is shaped a bit like a pyramid/peaked roof so water runs off it. Its a great location, probably 70 feet above street level.
However, the glass is reinforced with those fine wires arranged hexagon-style throughout, to keep it from shattering I guess.
Will the reinforcing wires in the glass substantially impact on signal reception, to anyone's experience?

Thanks in advance

Bumps
post #944 of 2016 (permalink) Old 2009-07-03, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Bumpstop, unfortunately any metal mesh in and around an antenna has properties that can affect the reception. For a technical explanation it is like a Faraday Cage, which we refer to in discussions about grounding and cable shielding.

I would test to see what happens, but don't be surprised if the results are not great. Also keep in mind that there might also be coatings on the glass that could also have adverse effects.
post #945 of 2016 (permalink) Old 2009-07-04, 09:46 AM
Rookie

Thanks stampeder;
The glass is likely very (70 yrs) old so probably no fancy coatings on it, but the wire is wire. I'll give it a go as it won't cost me anything to try it, and the alternatives will!

B

Tags
antenna , balcony , guy wire , installation , mast , ota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.