OTA Mounts, Towers, Rigging Hardware - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2005-12-04, 11:38 PM
Veteran

Location: 300 Steelcase Road W, #20 Markham,905470 9604 ext 230
I think at 10 years your antenna should be still good.

How long is your cable run as you should get a stronger signal from Buffalo. On my Samsung receivers with a CM7775 preamp I get 10 out of 10 on the Buffalo channels.

I might try in the spring the Winegard preamp the AP4700 that has 19db vs 26db for the channel master. The reason is that on one of my Hd receiver the Dish 811 I had to add several splitter as I had too much signal/gain on Pbs. I had to add about 19db of signal loss to the dish rec to get Pbs properly.

I connected a two way splitter out of the Cm power supply and one feed went to the family room the rec loop out into another Samsung in the basement and the loop out into a HD Ati card in my study.

The other feed from the orignal two way splitter went into a 3 way splitter on the 7db output one went to the LG4200a and then the other 7db into 3 more 2 way splitters then into the dish rec. All other unused ends was terminated. With this the Dish 811 rec is able to pull in all channles properly. Pbs was over driven pixelates. At times Cfto and Cbc would lose audio and on the rec signal would fluctuate between 74 and 89%. Now most of the channels comes in properly at a steady 87 to 91% except Nbc at 74 to 84%.

I know when the weather was warmer and after I installed the rotor in October and swinged the antenna to about 140 to 145' I was able to pull in Rochester at 10 bars on Pbs, Fox, Nbc. No Cbs or Abc even thought Abc is the strongest station.

During the hot and humid summer I did pull in with the twin antenna setup Cbs and Abc so with the rotor setup I dont see why I would not be able to pull them in better when its gets to summer time.

Even though you have a 50' tower with Rochester being further away and most channels being low power the signal might be hard to receive during the winter months.

The analog station are able to travel much further because of the lover frequency.

Ps: Just make sure that you antenna is pointing towards Buffalo Nbc before it gets any colder and you can't move your antenna.

I had a problem with my orginal rotor it was not moving when the temp got cold below freezing. I replace the drive unit outside and everything is ok now.

CM4228/9521/7775;F.RmJvc70FH96/8300HDPvr/Dish 612;B.Rm LC52LE810UN/8642HD;Study LG50PK550/Xbox360;

Last edited by Yaamon; 2005-12-04 at 11:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2005-12-05, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaamon

How long is your cable run as you should get a stronger signal from Buffalo. On my Samsung receivers with a CM7775 preamp I get 10 out of 10 on the Buffalo channels..
Most channels I get 8 out of 10. Just NBC seems to teater around 5 or 6.

The cable run is about roughly about 60'-70'. From at the top of the tower to the receiver. Now, there is a "coxial female-female joiner" just before the RG-6comes in the house. Could I be loosing signal strength there? I bought new F gold connectors, but that hasn't help much. Is there a way of properly joining the cables without having to remove the run on the tower?

Quote:
I might try in the spring the Winegard preamp the AP4700 that has 19db vs 26db for the channel master. The reason is that on one of my Hd receiver the Dish 811 I had to add several splitter as I had too much signal/gain on Pbs. I had to add about 19db of signal loss to the dish rec to get Pbs properly.
I see, but if you rotate the rotor in another direction the signal overload would be lessen right? I am not sure if a preamp would help me out as well.

Quote:
I know when the weather was warmer and after I installed the rotor in October and swinged the antenna to about 140 to 145' I was able to pull in Rochester at 10 bars on Pbs, Fox, Nbc. No Cbs or Abc even thought Abc is the strongest station.

During the hot and humid summer I did pull in with the twin antenna setup Cbs and Abc so with the rotor setup I dont see why I would not be able to pull them in better when its gets to summer time.
Now you got me thinking, if I have 2 Televes DAT-75s stacked, it would pull in the buffalo channels good and strong and I could increase my chances of getting Rochester channels in the summer. If I do get overload on the locals I could just rotate the antennas away from the local source, hence reducing the signal load.
post #78 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2005-12-06, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2074
...if I have 2 Televes DAT-75s stacked, it would pull in the buffalo channels good and strong and I could increase my chances of getting Rochester channels in the summer. If I do get overload on the locals I could just rotate the antennas away from the local source, hence reducing the signal load.
I don't think you should risk having any overload conditions in play. Its too chancey and your luck could easily run out before you can get to the rotor control or turn the antennas. I'd hate to see a perfectly good tuner ruined. On a hot summer night a blast of tropo signal could wipe out your gear. Have I warned you enough? Also, about stacking 2 DAT-75s, have you read anyone's results anywhere about doing that on a rotor instead of a fixed mount? I'd like to read about it if you have since the resulting extremely tight directionality of the pair might make rotor aiming a really sloppy exercise.

post #79 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2005-12-06, 10:46 PM

Yes you are correct. I learned the hard way that the problems that I am having with CBC & SUN TV was because of overload. I just couldn't believe that my antenna would take in that much signal or maybe it is ghosting, who knows. A week ago CBC was fine when pointed towards Buffalo. Then I got drop-offs. I thought it was their end. I posted in this forum to check if this is so. It was not. So, yes over doing it on the antenna will give me alot of trouble, I see that now

That being said I contacted Hosick Television Co. in Toronto to have the rotor replaced as soon as they can. They said they will do it but will wait for a sightly warmer today to come and do it. Knowing the problems that I have with the locals make it more imparitive to have the antenna rotate in all weather to optimize the signal lock.
post #80 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2005-12-31, 11:40 AM

How To Mount an Exterior OTA Antenna in an Apartment/HiRise Condo

If you are reading this, you might be like I was, obsessed with getting free HD OTA but (a) concerned that an indoor antenna might not work well enough or at all, (b) already spent the money on an indoor antenna and was disappointed by the results and/or (c) didn't know how to put up an outdoor antenna. Been there, done that

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...&postcount=249

From here onward, proceed at your own risk This explains how I did it and what was required.

So you have an HD tuner, a view from your balcony in the general direction of the signal sources, are not on very low floor (the lower you are, the more the antenna's visibility to others may be a problem) and have determined other people in your general location are getting HD. Living in a high rise adds complications such as; can't attach anything to the balcony, and (sometimes) can't put anything on your balcony which detracts from the appearance of the building. The following assumes the latter IS a problem.

I used a Channel Master 4221 which is 3 feet high and 1 foot wide, and has a 1 1/4" pole in the middle to slide into a like sized hole in something. As a second mounting option, it has two brackets top and bottom for U-bolt attachment to another vertical pole.

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/cm4221.html

You want to get it high enough for line of sight above the balcony railing. I got 3 small concrete blocks from Home Depot and bolted them together at their long sides. It isn't going to move in any weather, isn't attached to your balcony, and you just shift the position of the concrete blocks to aim the antenna. Buy a 1 1/4" square wood pole (make sure its straight!), treated wood preferred (very cheap at Home Depot). Now you need to attach it to something which in turn attaches to the concrete block. One idea is to bolt several angle brackets to the bottom of the wood pole, then bolt the brackets to the top concrete block, taking care with the bolt positions that the pole is vertical. Use a level. Now attach the 4221 to the pole using the square u-bolts provided with the antenna through the two gold coloured brackets and around the wood pole. Tighten the brackets snug and then use a level to check vertical positioning again.

Next, you might need to make it unobtrusive. Move it as far back on the balcony as possible. I used a small can of Armor Coat "Court Grey" rust paint from CTC, and brush painted the centre pole of the 4221 and its two gold coloured brackets. With that its hardly noticeable from the ground. And you are in business!
post #81 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2005-12-31, 05:40 PM
Veteran

Great post Doug, :0 where did you get the concrete blocks I needed some for my install at my work on the roof but the Home Depot does not carry summer concrete blocks still spring.

I was looking for the blocks with holes on each side, we saw only the flat concrete block that you use for the side or back yard.

CM4228/9521/7775;F.RmJvc70FH96/8300HDPvr/Dish 612;B.Rm LC52LE810UN/8642HD;Study LG50PK550/Xbox360;
post #82 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2005-12-31, 06:34 PM

Thanks for selling me the 4221, Yaamon. Needless to say I'm delighted with the results.

I forgot about there being two types of concrete block. Of course the kind with the holes is necessary in order to bolt them together. I didn't buy the blocks now, I had them before with a satellite dish mount bolted to them that I no longer use. So other than making a special order at Home Depot or trying another of their stores, I don't know. Somebody has to have them.

That dish mount was how I got a vertical surface to bolt the wood to. I have one extra concrete block left over if that's all you need, let me know and I'll give you a call.
post #83 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2006-01-01, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Local lumber and building supply companies have that stuff all year round.
post #84 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2006-01-06, 02:14 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2074

The installer was A MacDonald Antenna Tower Service.
MacDonald Antenna Tower Service was one of the oldest antenna guys still around in the GTA. This guy started back in the 1950's when TV was a new thing. Sadly I don't see him listed in the phone book anymore... anyone know if he’s still around?
post #85 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2006-01-06, 06:04 PM

Re: My Post #117, Mounting on an Apartment Balcony

Here's a photo of how it was done. As you can see, after painting the shiny bits, it almost blends into the background (above the level of the balcony railing), which is what we want in this environment:

post #86 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2006-01-07, 12:34 AM
Veteran

Hey dougjp nice

By the way if you bought 1 1/4" ID pole from home depot it would fit right inside the old satellite mount and you would not have to use the U clamps.

I have done this in the past for wall mounts but using a wall bracket below a house eves to secure it better.

This is for the 4221 antenna. The 4228 is too heavy to use a sat mount.

post #87 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2006-01-07, 08:12 AM

Yaamon, I thought of that, but couldn't figure how to mount the pole. I had this sat mount from before anyway, and one advantage of doing it this way was the ability to adjust the antenna on the mount using a level, so as to be perfectly vertical. The sat mount pole was 1 1/2" diameter.
post #88 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2006-01-07, 09:55 AM
Veteran

dougjp what I meant was that you take the 1 1/4" ID which is 1 1/2" OD and insert it inside the satellite J pole.

You still can move the original pole to make it level.

You dont replace the original J pole.

post #89 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2006-01-07, 11:53 AM

You must be thinking of some other make of satellite J pole.
post #90 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2006-01-31, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Antenna Tower Safety

An interesting, if somewhat chilling, look at making sure that the TV antenna tower that you are intending to climb is safe:

http://www.tselectronic.com/tech_not...6d537f7391f711

Tags
antenna , balcony , guy wire , installation , mast , ota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.