OTA Mounts, Towers, Rigging Hardware - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2005-10-31, 12:07 AM

I did see a setup using two rotor's, one mounted horizontally, along with an offset arm, it gave the antenna several degrees of movement in the horizontal plane.
I shall see if I can find the pic and post it.

Panasonic PT47WX53, Humax HFA100, Denon AVR 1610 surround, CM4228 Antenna, WD TVlive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2005-11-09, 02:14 PM

Best option for roof install

Hi everybody, I'm looking to install my 4 bay Winegard antenna higher on the roof (currently it's on the wall) and considering what's the best option - tripod, wall brackets with long mast or J mount like this on the picture. Did anybody thy this for antenna installation? It says in the description that it's
good for sat dishes and not heavy antennas.
http://www.warrenelectronics.com/Satellite/dish_mts.htm
post #63 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2005-11-09, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

How high would you like to go with it? That J mast will support your 4-bay Winegard down close by the roof. A tripod works fine for putting it up in the 10 foot range, as you can see in the Pimp My Gear thread photos, but if you need to go higher you're looking at a tower. At that point you are then choosing between a guy-wired or a self supporting tower. Its all up to you, so let us know which way you're leaning. What's your location so we can help assess a good height?

post #64 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2005-11-09, 02:42 PM

Thanks for reply.
I like it to be just a little higher than the roof, to clear houses across the street. My location is pretty high - about 190 (ft ot m?) above the sea level - Richmond Hill, ON North of Hw 7 and Dufferin.
post #65 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2005-11-09, 03:16 PM
Veteran

Location: 300 Steelcase Road W, #20 Markham,905470 9604 ext 230
Hi gg I remembering speaking to you.

Yes you can buy and use a J mount on certain conditions.

First all of it will not support a free standing antenna with a pole inserted in it more than 4 to 5 feet.

You need to be higher than your eves. You need a clear view south. Where ever your antenna will be mounted if it does not have a clear view south then your Buffalo stations will be limited in reception.

You can buy a pole from home depot it's 1 1/4" ID that will fit perfectly inside the J mount.

Then you would need at least one wall bracket to clamp under your eves so that the antenna can be extended above your roof line.

If you use one clamp and the J mount you should be able to use a 7 or 8' pole free standing.

If your eves is more than 8 to 12" deep then that J mount will not clear.

I did the same setup at my parents house with a Dss mount and sticked a 10' pole inside it with one wall bracket near the top of ther pole on the chimney.

The eves was only 6" a older house so the dss mount worked.

Good luck.

CM4228/9521/7775;F.RmJvc70FH96/8300HDPvr/Dish 612;B.Rm LC52LE810UN/8642HD;Study LG50PK550/Xbox360;
post #66 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2005-11-09, 04:00 PM

Yes Yaamon,
that's after our phone conversation I decided to use your advise and mount my antenna higher to get Buffalo stations more stable.
This J mount is longer than usual DSS mount - it's 34" long and should be enough for my Winegard antenna - I probably will not require additional
pipe. What I'm conserned about, unlike trupod, this J mount has just one
point when it attaches to the roof (that's where I want to use it, not the wall) so I'm not sure it can withstand winds. Although Wingard aluminum
PR-4400 antenna it not much heavier that sat dish.
post #67 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2005-11-09, 04:28 PM
Veteran

If I understand you are going to screw the J mount into your roof and mount the antenna to it ?

Then yes that work fine.

You could even extend the pole a few feet if you need.

Just screw in 3 at the top of the mount and 3 at the bottom. Remember ti use roof sealing tar not silcone around the base and the threads of the screw.

CM4228/9521/7775;F.RmJvc70FH96/8300HDPvr/Dish 612;B.Rm LC52LE810UN/8642HD;Study LG50PK550/Xbox360;
post #68 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2005-11-09, 08:14 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg22
unlike trupod, this J mount has just one
point when it attaches to the roof.
Be sure you use long wood lag bolts and that you bolt right into the roofing joist not just the plywood. Use a hammer and tap on the roof... you can tell from how firm it is when you're on top of the rafter joist. Drill a small pilot hole 2 inches deep and stick a coat hanger wire down in it just to make sure your in the joist. If not seal the hole with roof tar and move over to a harder sounding spot and drill again.
post #69 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2005-12-04, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Is Rochester reception a "nice to have" or a "need to have"?

If you want to go with a combo antenna again go for a Wade-Delhi VU935SR. If you step up to the bigger VU936SR it might start to overpower your receiver on the local VHFs when you rotate it their way but you'd stand a better chance at the Rochester VHF stations. The gargantuan VU937SR is overkill for anything but deepest fringe VHF. I believe the UHF corner reflectors on those Wade-Delhi models are the same unit (I might be wrong) so there shouldn't be any benefit of one model over the other in the UHF band (maybe ask Wade if the patterns are in any way different but I don't see why they would be).

If you're not concerned about the VHF stations then go with a CM4228 bowtie reflector UHF on a rotor and you'll do fine for locals/Buffalo and maybe get Rochester but probably not consistently from what I've read. A stacked CM4228 pair would add about 3dB of gain and maybe lower the threshold for a lock on Rochester DTVs, but again you'd start to overpower the receivers on the locals when you rotate them that way.
post #70 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2005-12-04, 01:51 PM

Thanks again for the awesome info Stampeder. The Rochester channels would be a "nice to have" thing. The Buffalo channels are definitely good to have and carry almost, if not all, network programming. I get this itch, the itch of wanting more. That why I would like them.

Would it be worth while to replace the existing combination antenna now, when I change the rotor? Or should I wait to see which Canadian channels come up to get a better idea what is needed? At this point and time I am receiving all available OTA digital channels that one would get in the GTA. I am very content with that. Rochester locals are nice to have for syndicated shows for more variety.
post #71 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2005-12-04, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Taking down old antennas is one of the least pleasant aspects of OTA, and doing so atop a 50 foot tower makes it even worse (sore shoulders, crap in your eyes, lowering it down safely, etc. etc.). I say since you're happy with your present reception let sleeping dogs lie. In the summer keep an eye on the DXing threads here and you should have some good finds from Rochester and other places on occasion.

BTW, that "itch" of wanting more is what makes a lot of us DHC OTA fans tick!
post #72 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2005-12-04, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
Taking down old antennas is one of the least pleasant aspects of OTA, and doing so atop a 50 foot tower makes it even worse (sore shoulders, crap in your eyes, lowering it down safely, etc. etc.).
I know, would an installer even both with replace just the rotor driver only?Are there any installers that frequent this forum that could do the work? Yaamon do you do this kind of work? I see that you have a store of some sort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
BTW, that "itch" of wanting more is what makes a lot of us DHC OTA fans tick!
I know what you mean! I was watching Rochester often in the early 90's with my old VHF antenna. It was huge! I made a mistake by getting rid of it. It was great for DXing.
post #73 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2005-12-04, 05:09 PM
Veteran

Mark Iam sorry Iam in the process of moving my office down to 300 Steelcase Road West, unit 20 so I dont have time for any installs in next month.

When did that installer change your rotor and mention about corrosion ? Do you remember what condition was your antenna back then. If there is no rust on the joints then it would be safe to use back your current antenna if you were pulling in all the Buffalo stations properly.

On the Rochester I can only really get them when the weather is warmer above 50'F with the rotor. Now I do not get any signals so dont look forward to HD signals from Rochester other than spring to fall.

post #74 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2005-12-04, 06:31 PM
Veteran

Mark2074 I seriously doubt you will be able to receive Rochester digitals reliably as the Rochester towers are much lower,1/3 height of Buffalo South towers.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .
post #75 of 2050 (permalink) Old 2005-12-04, 06:39 PM

No worries Yaamon. I was just exploring. I am not sure if I will even bother with this change until the spring. The rotor seems to respond most of the time it just doesn't go the full 360 for some reason.

The installer was A MacDonald Antenna Tower Service. I asked him to replace my old seperated VHF & UHF antenna system with a combo. He replaced it with a channel Master 3678. This was back in 1995. The antenna is about ten years old. He said that over time the joints would corrode and I would lose signal effeciency. See, that was the reason why I replaced the old system.
Also, He give me a used rotor (I have since forgotten what brand) that was already 5 years old. After a year or two it started to give me problems in cold weather. It just wouldn't turn. I would have to giggle the control unit alot to finally make it turn. By doing this I eventually ruined the control unit. I bought the new Channel Master 9537 to replace it.

The other small problem I have is I am not pulling NBC Buffalo too well. I get 5 of 10 bars, where as, with CBS, ABC, FOX & PBS come it at 7 bars. This is with a Samsung SIR-T351 STB.

Well, I've seen your set-up and I have much more height than you do. With about 50' I should be able to get something from Rochester. Or maybe not.

Tags
antenna , balcony , guy wire , installation , mast , ota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.