How best to attach 1.25" pipe to 1.66 J-pipe? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2017-12-15, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

How best to attach 1.25" pipe to 1.66 J-pipe?

Hi,

I have a Winegard 6550 antenna which uses a 1.25" pipe and supplied bracket. Bracket won't work as I need to point SE along an East facing wall (not enough clearance).

I do have a 1.66" J-pipe, but trying to figure out the best way to use together. There is one conversion kit from 3Star in the US which uses an insert sleeve and mounting screw but at ~$30 to get back to Canada is a bit much for what it is.

Thought about finding a satellite pipe mounting bracket and somehow connecting to the Winegard bracket - but haven't found anyone ditching old satellite parts to try out. Alternatively, inserting the 1.25" pipe down into the 1.66" pipe and drilling through both to secure but would need to shim to keep tight.

Any other alternatives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2017-12-15, 04:45 PM

Sounds like you might find a pole to pole mount handy.

Try searching Google , with the term, "Pole to Pole Mount - EZ EC-PTP-8 Antenna Mast Mount Brackets."

If you can find it in Canada, I am sure the shipping would be cheaper.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2017-12-15, 05:08 PM
Veteran

It might be better just to get a 1" or 1.25" J-pipe that will do the job.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2017-12-15, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skifan View Post
Sounds like you might find a pole to pole mount handy.
Thanks - didn't think of that option

Last edited by 57; 2017-12-15 at 07:54 PM. Reason: QS
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2017-12-15, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
It might be better just to get a 1" or 1.25" J-pipe that will do the job.
I have a 1.25" pipe but the challenge is mounting to an existing J-pipe already on the house (left over from an old satellite install with previous owner). Inserting inside and somehow anchoring, or attaching to the outside is what I'm looking to do.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2017-12-15, 07:25 PM
Veteran

That pole to pole mount cheap at US$15 + shipping and two sets might be needed to make it stable. A new J pipe can be picked up for less than CD$20.

A local hardware store might have some parts that could be used to make a makeshift pole to pole mount. A couple of long U bolts might work or maybe 4 U-bolts with the extra clamps used to stabilize it.

Check the plumbing department at a hardware store for PVC pipe or fittings that might make a good sleeve.

Put one mast inside tha other and drill two staggered holes at right angles through both masts in two places and use four 2" long bolts to secure them. A sleeve with just 2 bolts might also work.

Find a longer J pole with the same mount spacing as the old one so no new holes are needed.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2017-12-15, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Good suggestion on the PVC pipe for a sleeve, along with the right angle bolts. I think this is the avenue I'm going to pursue this week-end as it really is just a temporary fix to get through winter.

I re-checked the Winegard bracket and it does indeed allow for a 90 degree angle - not a lot of clearance but just enough. I'll be changing to this in spring/summer as I also would prefer to mount under the soffit at ~20ft height vs. the existing 14ft height.

Last edited by 57; 2017-12-16 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2017-12-18, 11:11 AM

I had the same situation - I just wrapped the antenna pole with a thin foam tape that made up the difference and jammed it in the J-Pipe.

It's been up for over 2 years with no issues/movement on the antenna.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2017-12-18, 01:03 PM
Veteran

A couple of layers of duck tape at the seam would make it 100%.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2017-12-22, 12:49 PM
Rookie

Like others have said- stuff the pipe- however use butyl tape to compensate for slop- u could also use guy wires i suppose....
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2017-12-22, 12:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan View Post
Good suggestion on the PVC pipe for a sleeve, along with the right angle bolts. I think this is the avenue I'm going to pursue this week-end as it really is just a temporary fix to get through winter.

I re-checked the Winegard bracket and it does indeed allow for a 90 degree angle - not a lot of clearance but just enough. I'll be changing to this in spring/summer as I also would prefer to mount under the soffit at ~20ft height vs. the existing 14ft height.
I will have to respectfully disagree with this as I have tried it and it is not nearly as stable as one would think -
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2017-12-22, 01:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Like others have said- stuff the pipe-
Since it is only a temporary measure, I tend to agree. Spending any money on this is a waste.

I still stand behind using sleeves for a longer term solution. They must be tight fitting and well secured with screws or bolts though. This method has been used for antenna masts for many years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.