HDMI Transmitter Receiver - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-11-29, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

HDMI Transmitter Receiver

Now I have 3 different sources for the TV signal (Antenna, dish, CD player). Apple TV would be a 4th. Lots of cables to the back of the TV.
But,,,, I'm building a new house and want to put a TV over the fireplace in both the living room and the den (30' apart). My signals from Seattle currently are marginal, though steady. A single splitter and I lose half the stations.
If I use a HDMI transmitter and 2 receivers, can I a: get rid of the wiring mess from the tuners to the TV, b: can I service both TV's without losing signal and c: is there a downside or signal loss at the transmitter or receiver?

laurie in Ladner BC with a DB8e and a 4 ft dish.

Last edited by laurienicol; 2017-11-29 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-11-30, 08:47 AM

I have used Briteview products to send HD wirelessly. Worked well for Bluray too.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-11-30, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurienicol View Post
Now I have 3 different sources for the TV signal (Antenna, dish, CD player). Apple TV would be a 4th. Lots of cables to the back of the TV.
But,,,, I'm building a new house and want to put a TV over the fireplace in both the living room and the den (30' apart). My signals from Seattle currently are marginal, though steady. A single splitter and I lose half the stations.
Have you tried a pre-amp or distribution amp to resolve the splitter loss?

FTA, Openbox S9, 33” dish, Avenger PLL LNBF. Stab 90HH.
OTA, CM4221HD, 3410 amp, 4 way split, HW-150 PVR

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-11-30, 10:25 AM

I agree with @Jorgek , a low gain pre-amp can work well if splitting to two TVs. It will overcome line-loss between the antenna and TVs so you'll get a bit more signal headroom and maybe more channels if they are on the fringe.

SBGH @ 46', 10' C-band, & various home made projects...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-11-30, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

I've tried 2 different pre-amps (CM7777 and the RCA). In the case of both, putting in the pre-amp lost me more channels than I had without. That was just directly to the CM7000Pal DVR.
I'll put up a second antenna and dish, if necessary, for the second TV, but I will have to plan ahead for the cables to the receivers and hide the cables to the TV's in behind the paneling (or tile, or brickwork) over the fireplaces and into the TV's. I'd just as soon do everything wirelessly.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-11-30, 04:50 PM
Veteran

This question should have been asked in the Home Theatre Corner forum. This forum should be used for discussing issues related to OTA TV. HDMI transmitter/receivers are not OTA TV related.

The OTA Reception Results forum is a good place to post a TV fool in order to help diagnose reception issues in your area and, possibly, find a suitable preamp.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-11-30, 05:28 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I thought about moving the thread when it was first posted but one of the options is configuring the two TVs differently in a typical OTA application.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-11-30, 06:10 PM
Veteran

Using a higher gain antenna will help with sending OTA to 2 TVs. It would need to have at least 3.5db more gain on all the problem weak channels to maintain reception. A lower gain (than the CM7778) or a variable gain preamp with a higher overload threshold might also work. That may have to be combined with notch filters to reduce overload from strong signals.

There are a number of HDMI transmitters available. They have varying range and reliability but a good transmitter with 2 receivers should work in this situation.

A better option may be to use a DLNA capable TV tuner with 2 smart TVs or DLNA media players. Most smart TVs and media players are DLNA compatible so that's not a big issue. The HDHomerun Extend is DLNA compatible but I don't know how well it will work in this situation. A HTPC with a TV tuner card is another option. Use of a HTPC provides extra possibilities such as OTA TV recording and additional streaming capabilities but setup can sometimes be complicated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.