So how would someone actually contact CTV to report an OTA broadcast problem? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes
  • 1 Post By majortom
  • 1 Post By getmoresoon

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-10-30, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

So how would someone actually contact CTV to report an OTA broadcast problem?

This might be a silly question, but the CTV website is not forthcoming at all. How would you contact CTV to notify of a potential OTA broadcast problem?

My problem specifically.... the Saint John channel (CKLT) seems to be pumping out DV audio on the non-DV side. Just started recently, and confirmed against 2 separate tv's in the house.

Cheers!
Getmoresoon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-10-30, 10:46 PM
Veteran

This has happened before on CKVP - Fonthill, ON a repeater of Barrie CTV TWO
Someone here at this forum gave me a contact via pm and I emailed them.

I was able to capture some transport stream logs pointing out where the issue was...
which aided them, since the Fonthill repeater is an unmanned facility. They are so far away they can't even receive the repeater signal.

They had it fixed within a day or two after some back and forth...
I will check Fonthill again to see if it is doing it also.
They were very good about getting back to me and following up.
If you send me a PM, I can give you the contact info.

Edit: so far CKVP seems normal here, looking at their Transport Stream, looks in order.
But if I recall correctly not all programming had DV audio.
getmoresoon likes this.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-10-30, 11:39 PM
Veteran

If I remember the Fonthill issue correctly... at the time I could work around it by tuning the station in, then manually selecting another audio program on my TV. It was just that the DV audio was inadvertently coming up as the default English program.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-10-31, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

No joy of a workaround here. Selecting any of the other audio programs simply drops the audio feed.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-10-31, 09:47 AM

It's not always easy communicating these issues to stations, as their staff sometimes don't even realize that they transmit an OTA signal! This is especially true for companies like Rogers, where broadcast engineering is managed through a national department and very little is done locally.

I did a quick search and was able to find the station's phone number and email address. I would suggest giving them a call and asking for their broadcast engineering department/person.

In Kitchener, where I live, we have a local CTV station. I've had good success contacting their technical people whenever I've noticed something amiss or had a question. Sometimes the technical staff will provide your their direct-contact info for future reference (if so, please don't post that info here).

Good luck!

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-10-31, 10:01 AM

Call CTV Halifax @ 1-902-453-4000 and ask to speak to the Engineering Manager.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-10-31, 10:43 AM

I figure if you call CTV about an OTA issue, they would just tell you to sign up for Bell Fibe or Satellite...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-10-31, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Contact has been made and issue is being looked into.

Yes, its well understood that having ones contact details smattered into the public domain is never a good thing.

Thanks to all esp Majortom for setting me on the right path.

Getmoresoon
Jase88 likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-11-05, 11:41 AM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
I figure if you call CTV about an OTA issue, they would just tell you to sign up for Bell Fibe or Satellite...
That's a pretty snide and cynical comment though it's probably true at the executive level. Without exception, when I've contacted technical people at either Canadian and US broadcasters (even the ones owned by Big Telecom), they've been thankful for the feedback and as Jase88 says above, will give you direct contact info. Often they have no other way to get insight of how things look on the Rx side of things.

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-11-06, 10:39 AM

Yes, it was meant to be cynical - like most of us who live in Ontario, we've dealt with Bell, or been stuck with Bell as a service provider for years (with no alternate choices) and dealing with the occasional issue with other services they provide always leads to a poorly-timed sales pitch for other services.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.