Opinion: Worth making a AD DB8e; have DB4e already - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2017-09-17, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Opinion: Worth making a AD DB8e; have DB4e already

Currently I have a AD DB4e that I'm not using. What are your opinions on converting it into a AD DB8e. I think I got the DB4e about 2-3 years ago before the introduction of the DB8e. I don't think AD made any changes to the current DB4e since. Currently I'm using a no name brand (8 bay) in the attic... so I can refuse that frame. Is it worth trying to get another DB4e? Or bite the bullet and sell the DB4e at a lost and get a DB8e? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2017-09-25, 08:01 PM
Veteran

Sure.... if you up to the task of modifying one product to fit another's frame, WHY NOT....it's certainly worth the savings.....

Since I've done quite a bit of Antenna Modeling (incl. Horiz. Stacked), I KNOW that the [Center-to-Center] Horizontal Separation Distance makes a difference....but not much, see Images #1-6 for "somewhat similar" FF4+DAR with RFC (RF Combiner):
Horiz-Stack 2xFF4 + DoubleAng Refl - RFC

You might want to send a PM to ADTECH to see what model number RF Combiner they use in the DB-8e and how much LOSS it has....they MIGHT have carefully selected it to be lower than most (typ. 0.5 to 1.5 dB).

I prefer using the ZERO-LOSS HHH (Holl_ands Horizontal Harness), but since I don't have measurements or an Antenna Model for DB-4e, I can't calculate the Optimized Dimensions......sorry....
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/stac...blanglereflhhh

Antenna Simulations, Overload Calculations, etc: http://imageevent.com/holl_ands
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2017-09-27, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I don't think AD made any changes to the current DB4e since.
Just a minor change to the balun housing to improve mechanical reliability.

Quote:
Is it worth trying to get another DB4e? Or bite the bullet and sell the DB4e at a lost and get a DB8e? Thanks.
The DB8e requires a center-to-center separation of 70 cm between the two DB4e panels. I have no idea what the size of your current antenna's frame might be, but, if you plan to use the resulting assembly for an attic mount, simply attaching the DB4e panels to a 1x4 or 2x4 piece of wood at the correct distance would emulate the factory spacing of the two halves of a DB8e (sans adjustability, of course). The individual panels are combined using two 71.5 cm lengths of RG6 coax fed into the "signal combiner" which is a reversed two port splitter with pretty low insertion loss and good isolation between the two ports used as inputs. You can produce similar results with almost any decent quality splitter that is available to you locally.

Antennas Direct Tech Support

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2017-10-01, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Much thanks for all of the replies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.