Rooftop antenna selection in Montreal NDG - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 2017-09-24, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you all for your help. I pulled the trigger on the HD-7694P. My objectives have been fulfilled since I can now receive, amongst many others, TQ on CH24 and ABC on CH13. This could prove useful to other residents in the NDG area. It took a bit of trial and error to get the right balance between strong and week channels. I now have the antenna oriented 156Deg (true) and put a cheap preamp at the beginning of the signal path. I am reliably pulling in 28 virtual channels in all. A very happy camper indeed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 2017-09-25, 11:00 AM
DHC Supporter

Thank you for the report with the good news.
Quote:
It took a bit of trial and error to get the right balance between strong and week channels.
Yes, that is the secret.

I appreciate the feedback.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 2017-09-26, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Reliability is good but it isn’t perfect especially on channels 13, 24 and 49 where signal quality rarely beats 30%. I am going to replace the first cable in the chain with a genuine shielded RG6 and the el-cheapo preamp I bought in Europe 20 years ago with the RCA that integrates an FM trap. Regarding the 4G interference, this map of nearby emitters seems to indicate I should benefit from an LTE filter also.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 2017-09-26, 04:18 PM

OTA reception NDG, Montreal

Jimi00,

Be aware that a pre-amp from Europe could be UHF only and block VHF . . .

Bad idea to cascade 2 pre-amps . . .

What cheap pre-amp did you use as per your post #16 ?

If I were you, I'd aim the antenna at 135 degrees MAGNETIC, RF13 ABC is no big deal . . . And forget the LTE filter for now . . .
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 2017-09-26, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I had no intention of cascading the preamps. Just replacing this cheap European unit: http://www.dune-electronic.com/DUNE_...RS&P4=36&P5=76
with the RCA TVPRAMP1R.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 2017-10-02, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Probably the last heads up on this topic. The RCA preamp, along with the RG6 cable have arrived. They make enough of a difference for me to be able to receive almost any channel in a 70 mile radius. I have tried the preamp with the FM trap on or off, and it does make a significant difference; thanks for suggesting it. The best compromise, in terms of antenna orientation, was achieved at 200º Magn, even though it doesn’t seem very logical looking at the tvfool report.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.