New at this... - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-04-10, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

New at this...

Hello!

I’m new here and planning to cut the cable soon. I’m testing a few things and had some questions…

I have right now an indoor antenna (can’t have one outside), I get +- 10 channels and was wondering if there is a way I could boost the amount of them… boosting the signal? Adding a second antenna? I have the Nextech from The Source and so fare it was the best for the signal, tried 2 type of RCA antenna and had less channel.

Is there a good PVR that is not to expensive (50-80$)? I was looking at the HW150PVR, but maybe there is something else in the same range but better?

What is the main media player people have? Apple TV, Roku or Android? I'm not sure for what i should go to have "tv channel" apps...

When I cut, I will have a Bell Motorola VIP2262 (that is mine) … is there something we can do with it or is it just good to sale on Kijiji? I was hoping I could use it as an PVR but I don’t see how it could be done.

Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-04-10, 05:55 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
For OTA, please read the following welcome thread and follow the instructions - posting in the appropriate Reception Results Thread with your TVFool results.

*** WELCOME TO NEW MEMBERS: Read these OTA Forum instructions before posting ***

There is a thread on OTA PVRs. Please check that out and post questions there.

There are threads on the various media players. Each person probably has their own favourites. Read those threads and post there.

You can't use the Bell unit as an OTA PVR. If it's yours, you could try selling it.

Each of your questions is discussed in a different section of this forum, so please do some searches for those topics and post in the appropriate thread/forum, rather than asking a bunch of "different" questions in threads/forums where they don't belong. Thanks.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-04-10, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-04-12, 08:36 PM
Veteran

Which Nexxtech Inddoor Antenna from The Source??? They have VHF Only Rabbit Ears, VHF RabbitEars with UHF Loop, and two different sized Rectangular FLAT Antennas that are TOO SMALL for UHF...and WAY TOO SMALL for Hi-VHF Ch7-13...and pretty much useless for Ch2-6.

We also need to see the TVFool.com Report for your location, per WELCOME instructions.....

Antenna Simulations, Overload Calculations, etc: http://imageevent.com/holl_ands
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-04-19, 04:22 PM
Veteran

I bought a $30 Nexxtech antenna (with powered amp) that was discounted at half price. I am 15 miles from the transmission station. The TV shows the signal strength in bars (like your cell phone) so it's not very scientific, but this antenna behaved identically (signal strength and channels received) to a paperclip I unfolded and stuck in my antenna input on the TV.

So I wouldn't bother with one of those.

You won't get a "PVR" for $50-80. If you mean buying a (used?) Hauppage card for your PC then, sure. A 2-tuner Tablo goes for about $275, then you'd have to add a USB attached drive ($100 or so) and add a guide data subscription ($5/month or $50/year or $150 lifetime). There are others, of course but many say Tablo is the best.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-04-19, 06:59 PM

Any amplified indoor antenna is useless, it's more of a noise catcher . . .

Quote:
You won't get a "PVR" for $50-80
There are many PVRs at around 39 bucks and they have decent tuners . . .
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-04-20, 10:45 AM
Veteran

I'd say don't bother with Nexxtech antenna, period. Amplified or not, it behaved as well as a paperclip.

As for $39 PVRs, prove it. Cheapest I saw was the Mediasonic for $60 (Amazon/BestBuy) which comes with a single tuner (can't watch one, record another) and no drive.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-04-20, 05:06 PM
Veteran

You probably mean the fol. Nexxtech Amplified Antenna....which I have been unable to find DIMENSIONS FOR....but APPEARS to be TOO SMALL for UHF....and nearly useless for Hi-VHF Ch9/10 from CN Tower.

We would appreciate if you would post either your TVFool Results.....or at least your POST CODE so that we can do it for you....so we KNOW what we're dealing with and whether you are Line-Of-Sight from CN Tower (in which case the Amplifier is probably HURTING more than it is HELPING)....or if there is TERRAIN in between that reduces signal levels.

It would ALSO help us if we know WHAT you can receive using a simple pair of Rabbit-Ears+UHF-Loop [Amplified or NOT]. If you don't have any, for test purposes you could build your own DIY UHF Loop using a simple Loop of Wire with about 7.75-in Diameter for UHF and a 300:75-ohm Transformer Balun.....and about 23-in Diameter for Ch9/10 in Hi-VHF Band....which has significantly MORE Gain that Rabbit-Ears...and better SWR if using Copper Tubing as described below [can use simple wire for Test Antenna]:
UHF Circular & Square Loops NO Reflector
VHF Square & Circular Loops

Antenna Simulations, Overload Calculations, etc: http://imageevent.com/holl_ands

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.