TVO host: "ripping off channels with a free HD antenna" (VIDEO) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 2015-03-21, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Angry TVO host: "ripping off channels with a free HD antenna" (VIDEO)

I was watching a rerun of TVO's The Agenda. The topic was CanCon and at one point they got on the topic of skinny basic and the fate of the specialty channels. They discussed sports or Food Network and host Steve Paikin said something along the lines of, and I paraphrase "there's a concern that some won't subscribe to them, ripping them off with a free HD antenna."

One of my Twitter followers asked for a clarification: Thanks for mentioning over-the-air TV tonight, but when you said "ripping" TV OTA did you mean receiving over stealing?

Paikin's reply: I think I said "ripping off" meaning stealing.

I'm only partially shocked that someone working in the biz would equate OTA with theft. If he's covering the CRTC did he sleep through their whole OTA discussion or Blais' comments that "Digital television antennas such as these bring OTA television signals into our homes at a cost that beats even the best packages offered by the major service providers. But let me say that our decision is not about just affordability. It is about the importance of local and regional news and information programming."

Yep, the CRTC was definitely talking about stealing there. Sigh...

Antennas Direct C2V antenna pointed @ curved building NE. DB4e pointed SSE. Cable free since May 2011.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 2015-03-21, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I'm only partially shocked that someone working in the biz would equate OTA with theft.
I'm not at all surprised. Steve will read industry trade papers/press releases that are geared to the BDU's which totally ignore OTA and are self serving.

Paikin is one of the highest paid provincial employees (over $300,000) yet is stupendously ignorant about the very industry he works in, he's considered an employee of the ministry of education, I'd grade him an 'F'.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 2015-03-21, 11:32 PM
Rookie

He's a good moderator, not great, and yes he is not the brightest light in the store.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 2015-03-22, 12:43 AM

This comment by Paikin is shocking to me, considering how invested his own TV station is in over the air. I hope that he retracts this statement.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct 91-XG & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 2015-03-22, 03:43 AM

But his own TV station closed down most of their OTA transmitters.
TVO are not invested in OTA, they have divested.

And then they want me to donate money for their digital archive? They are class A stupid if they can't work out that building community goodwill and raising funds go together.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 2015-03-22, 04:15 AM

The episode in question is "Reconsidering CanCon". You can see it in the "The Agenda" archives on TVO. It aired on March 20, 2015. The "ripping off" comment is at about the 15:50 mark.

I think that Mr. Paikin said the BDU's were concerned THEY would be "ripped off" by the OTA users. However he might have been saying that HE believed OTA users were ripping off the signals. His wording was unclear to me. Its unfortunate he didn't mention that OTA is completely legal. You can listen to his exact wording and decide for yourself. Any way, the phrase "ripping them off" should not be associated with OTA users in this context.

The video has a "comments" section below it. Please consider adding your comments there as well. Thanks.

Regards,

Hugh

Last edited by hdixon; 2015-03-22 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Tried to clarify my interpretation of what was said.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 2015-03-22, 07:30 AM

Exclamation Paikin = mixed messages

That's odd; during Tuesday's completely unrelated earlier episode of The Agenda, Paikin interrupted a guest to clarify that TVO is available OTA, saying @ 22:49 into the clip
Quote:
for the record, you don't need a satellite dish to watch this program, you can watch it just over the air with an antenna
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 2015-03-22, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I think that Mr. Paikin said the BDU's were concerned THEY would be "ripped off" by the OTA users.
The female guest mentions that channels like TSN, CBC News Net and Food won't be in skinny basic and that customers will have to pay extra for those.

Paikin then says, "I gather the fear here is that a lot of people won't pick those other channels. They may rip them off over-the-air on a free HD antenna or go without."

So he does appear to be saying that people can "steal" Food OTA. Of course, he also thinks people can choose which channels can go into the $25 and has to be corrected by the woman. That's seconds before this quote.

Antennas Direct C2V antenna pointed @ curved building NE. DB4e pointed SSE. Cable free since May 2011.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 2015-03-22, 04:05 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdixon
The episode in question is "Reconsidering CanCon". You can see it in the "The Agenda" archives on TVO. It aired on March 20, 2015. The "ripping off" comment is at about the 15:50 mark.
It will likely soon be put up for viewing on TVO's Youtube channel too: https://www.youtube.com/user/AgendaStevePaikin/videos

Steve Paikin is one of the better interviewers out there, whom I rank with Charlie Rose for intellect and for gently not suffering fools gladly while letting guests with wide-ranging viewpoints have their say. In this case (while admitting that I have not yet seen the episode) I'm thinking he might have got some of the issues tangled up as he spoke. Still, it bears clarification.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 2015-03-23, 03:58 PM

In repsonse to tweets asking about his comment, Steve Paikin tweeted today:

"Obviously not referring to over the air channels, but ones you'd normally have to pay for. These are being stolen".

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct 91-XG & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 2015-03-23, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Not getting his clarification. How do you take "ones you'd normally have to pay for" and "rip them off over-the-air on a free HD antenna"?

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 2015-03-23, 06:24 PM

As Stampeder alluded to above, I assume Paikin''s words got twisted up during the discussion. Though the initial tweet to Paikin asking him about the comment clearly mentions "over the air antenna" and he responds to that with "...ripping off as in stealing".

It's odd...but he now claims that he wasn't referring to over-the-air channels. And he's on record as mr.eous mentions above discussing a clear and factual understanding of antenna reception. So it's likely safe to assume that this is just a case of lack of clarity and not one of spreading misinformation.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 2015-03-23, 11:33 PM

kind of reminds me of the conversation i had at The Source years ago when i bought my Terk.the salesman asked if i felt guilty stealing signals.i replied "you cant steal what is free".
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 2015-03-24, 02:57 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

At about 15:50 in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O6wv_Umpmo

Last edited by stampeder; 2015-03-24 at 03:18 AM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 2015-03-24, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

@bigcam406,

You should have asked the guy at The Source why his store was guilty of facilitating a crime by selling the tools for an illegal activity. :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.