Here comes the UHF Channel "Repack" for OTA - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 319 (permalink) Old 2015-05-19, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

The plan goes something like this, at least as far as the US is concerned:

Stations are given the opportunity to participate in a reverse auction to possibly be bought out by the government, if needed, to clear the top end of the UHF band for spectrum. How much spectrum is bought depends both on how many stations choose to participate in said reverse auction as well as whether the revenue from the forward auction fully covers expenses of the reverse auction. As such, whether it's 38-51 or 30-51 or 44-51 (or some other group of channels starting at 51) is not yet known.

You are correct, no station can be forced to VHF, but stations can seek money in the reverse auction in exchange for moving to VHF. Similarly, stations can seek money to go off the air on one channel and channel share with another station (glorified subchannels).

Non-participating or unpurchased stations may still be required to move, particularly but not exclusively if they are in the "cleared" part of the UHF band, and those moves will be compensated by the $1.75 billion fund Congress established. Whether or not that's enough money is up for debate, but since Congress set the number, Congress, not the FCC, is the body that would have to adjust it.

- Trip

RabbitEars.Info
Comments are my own and not that of my employer (the FCC) or anyone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 319 (permalink) Old 2015-05-19, 11:38 AM
Veteran

The whole process sounds like a nightmare in the making.
post #63 of 319 (permalink) Old 2015-05-19, 12:55 PM

Quote:
The whole process sounds like a nightmare in the making.
You're forgetting that by the time this channel repack occurs there will be new standards allowing for a HUGE INCREASE in data output at the broadcasters level.

These doom and gloom scenarios aren't going to happen, in my opinion we'll actually see more channels and they'll be available on more devices.

This is a good read to see where the future is going.

http://www.technicolor.com/en/who-we...m-broadcasters

post #64 of 319 (permalink) Old 2015-05-19, 12:58 PM
Veteran

Trip: You're right....I was mislead by RX Data Statistics collected in Oct2008 on a pair of Adaptive Antenna Arrays (DTA-5000 vs RCA-2000). Upon closer inspection I see I did a copy/past of THAT data (with NO DTV in Hi-VHF Band) into a new file containing several Jun2009 runs trying to optimize Ch7/9/11/13 reception...and only bothered to copy/paste the earlier data up thru Ch51 for comparison purposes. In Feb2009, I was still including upper UHF channels in a Radio Mobile vs (early) TVFool comparison/calibration study. So DTV returned to Hi-VHF Band in L.A. sometime between Tests in Feb and 14 June 2009....probably closer to June.

Antenna Simulations, Overload Calculations, etc: http://imageevent.com/holl_ands
post #65 of 319 (permalink) Old 2015-05-19, 01:18 PM
Veteran

I'm not sure about the situation in Los Angeles regarding Hi-VHF, but the 2 High VHF allocations in my neck of the woods seem to work quite well. One is local and the other is distant.
post #66 of 319 (permalink) Old 2015-05-21, 03:37 PM

Frankzappa,

I thought this quote in the press release about scalable HEVC was interesting:

Quote:
The impact of this deployment is that broadcasters will be able to deliver the highest quality content, inclusive of 4KUltraHDlive broadcast in a simultaneous transmission to consumers both at home and on-the-go.
Who wants to be tied down to a cable connection or satellite? Broadcasters will be able to use the same signal to deliver to mobile and home. The traditional broadcasters are increasingly moving to event programming to try and lure fans to appointment TV, live-tweeting events. Can't make it home? Use an antenna dongle on your tablet and still watch that live broadcast awards show or special event while you're out. Broadcast is perfect for delivering this one-to-many model. Netflix, VOD are perfect for binge-watching House of Cards or Walking Dead. But want to laugh, cry, cheer for a live event at the same time as your friends? Want live local news during an emergency? Broadcast is perfect for that. It ain't dead yet...and the best may be yet to come.

Antennas Direct C2V antenna pointed @ curved building NE. DB4e pointed SSE. Cable free since May 2011.
post #67 of 319 (permalink) Old 2015-08-18, 07:58 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
August 17th CARTT artcle ....

Quote:
SPECTRUM: Canada will harmonize 600 MHz band for mobile with U.S.; but what will happen to broadcasters already using it?

OTTAWA – To the surprise of few, Industry Canada has decided to repurpose most spectrum in the 600 MHz range now used by TV broadcasters and others so it can be used to feed the insatiable demand for cellular data bandwidth.

However, in a ruling released Friday the department put off any decision on whether the federal government will compensate existing users of these frequencies, Canadian television broadcasters and others, for having to move to new digital TV frequencies.
Source (subscription): https://cartt.ca/article/spectrum-ca...asters-already

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2015-08-19 at 12:35 PM. Reason: quote shortened - see forum rules re: copyright
post #68 of 319 (permalink) Old 2015-08-19, 12:24 PM
Veteran

TV TECHNOLOGY article describes the TV Spectrum Auction Process:
FCC, Canada, Coordinate Auction Repack | TvTechnology

Additional Spectrum Auction implementation details recently announced are summarized here:
Understanding What Will Happen on March 29 in the Incentive Auction | WileyonMedia

Note that NOBODY KNOWS how many UHF TV Channels the FCC will eventually decide to "repurpose"....it depends on the SUCCESS (or lack thereof) of EACH Auction Process to determine how much INTEREST there is in purchasing channels...and how much the TV STATIONS (i.e. NAB) dig in their heels kicking and screaming about LOCALISM and COVERAGE DURING DISASTERS as this proceeds. Although I don't recall it being mentioned [it's really a SEPARATE issue], there SHOULD also be allocations for "LIGHTHOUSE" stations which maintain Backward Compatibility with EXISTING ATSC 1.0 DTV's for AT LEAST the Major Networks for perhaps 10-20 years after ATSC 3.0 is rolled out/takes over.

Fol. TV TECHNOLOGY article describes the ELEVEN different "FCC Scenarios" that MIGHT happen, depending on how many TV Channels are cleared out:
Eleven FCC Scenarios for The 600 MHz Band Plan | TvTechnology

Antenna Simulations, Overload Calculations, etc: http://imageevent.com/holl_ands
post #69 of 319 (permalink) Old 2015-08-19, 12:37 PM

post #70 of 319 (permalink) Old 2015-08-19, 11:57 PM

From the above link.

Quote:
7.2.1 Design Objectives for the Development of the New DTV Allotment Plan

64. A number of respondents mostly representing small or independent broadcasters suggested that multiplexing of TV stations could be used to allow more efficient use of the TV spectrum. However, Bell and CAB opposed the use of multiplexing, stating that this would limit viewers' access to the full HDTV experience and prevent the broadcaster from pursuing new technology or standards.
Pathetic beyond belief.

I think a fitting slogan for Canadian BDU's/Broadcasters would be:

"We don't multiplex because we're a monopoly, wanna complain? We've got more lawyers".
post #71 of 319 (permalink) Old 2015-08-20, 12:08 AM
Veteran

That is too funny. Prevents a broadcaster from pursuing new technology
or standards. Seriously???
Please oh please...don't make me go buy a new $3,000 encoder.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #72 of 319 (permalink) Old 2015-08-20, 04:17 AM
Veteran

Quote:
However, Bell and CAB opposed the use of multiplexing, stating that this would limit viewers' access to the full HDTV experience and prevent the broadcaster from pursuing new technology or standards.
Once again, Bell comes off as a bunch of hypocrites. They fought the digital conversion by shutting down some stations, rather than convert, and refuse to pursue new technologies by continuing to operate a number of analog stations. Bell sounds like a little kid who just want his own way all the time and to be contradictory regardless of the options offered.

As to limiting the "full HDTV experience," Bell does a fine job of that with their excessive compression and other technical limitations on their horrible BDU services. I went through years of HD hell due to Bell's refusal to deploy MPEG4 in a timely manner. This just emphasizes the rampant hypocrisy at Bell.
Edwin likes this.
post #73 of 319 (permalink) Old 2015-08-20, 08:51 AM
Veteran

I guess Bell has not heard of ATSC 3.0 or H.265. They just don't want more competition.
post #74 of 319 (permalink) Old 2015-11-26, 05:33 PM

Hopefully the new Ministers overseeing Industry Canada ( https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/icgc.nsf/eng/h_00279.html ) aren't as beholden to the BDU's as past Ministers have been.

Is there going to be any consultation with consumers prior to the repack or is this going to be an insider deal with industry?
post #75 of 319 (permalink) Old 2016-04-24, 03:26 PM
Veteran

Looks like we should know what the new band plan is gonna look like in the US by the end of April

NAB 2016: Wheeler Said ATSC 3.0 Will Circulate This Month | TvTechnology

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.