Here comes the UHF Channel "Repack" for OTA - Page 18 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #256 of 297 (permalink) Old 2017-07-13, 09:32 AM
Veteran

Wouldn't Globals new RF17 allotment wipe out WBXZ's signal in Buffalo altogether, or both would mutually exclude one another in Buffalo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #257 of 297 (permalink) Old 2017-07-13, 11:01 AM
Veteran

Interference parameters and protection only apply within grade A and grade B contours. If there is an issue within Canada, the US LPTV station will need to make changes to eliminate it. If the Canadian stations are outside the protected contours in Ft. Erie then it doesn't matter.

Quote:
The FCC doesn't use TVfool.
Neither does IC. They use contour maps that are much less sophisticated than the algorithms used by TVFool. Due to local geography, there are areas here with reception that is significantly different than the FCC and CRTC contour maps.
post #258 of 297 (permalink) Old 2017-07-13, 12:23 PM
Veteran

Fort Erie is within Global Toronto contours.This would be new interference.The CHCH interference was a pre existing and accepted by CHCH.If you go by percentage of population than it would be within limits.Left as is pretty sure reception will be lost by many in both countries for RF 17.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .

post #259 of 297 (permalink) Old 2017-07-20, 10:11 PM
Veteran

Buffalo Repack

WIVB last day on RF 39 to be no later Jan 23 2018.Sinclair and Nextar agree to simulcast ASTC 1.0 and 3.0 together.WUTV/WNYO/WIVB/WNLO.Looks like ASTC 3.0 will happen.

post #260 of 297 (permalink) Old 2017-08-05, 12:11 PM

I haven't followed this thread closely, so I don't know if any of this is new info. Here is the Canadian Government's
Consultation on a Technical, Policy and Licensing Framework for Spectrum in the 600 MHz Band
Quote:
8.1 Over-the-air television (OTA TV) broadcasting
40. OTA TV undertakings in the 600 MHz band are permitted to continue using their current channels and modes of operation (i.e. analog or digital) until the spectrum is needed for the deployment of mobile broadband services, as indicated in SLPB-004-15, Decision on Repurposing the 600 MHz Band. ISED will issue a displacement notification to these TV undertakings only if it is determined that the continued operation of these undertakings will prevent the deployment of new mobile services in the 600 MHz band.
41. For these TV undertakings, the following minimum notification periods apply:
  • regular power TV undertakings located in urban areas are afforded a minimum of a one-year notification period and
  • regular power TV undertakings located in all other areas are afforded a minimum of a two-year notification period
42. TV undertakings whose continued operation after their phase completion dates would impair mobile deployment in the U.S. have been notified by ISED that they will need to cease operation at their phase completion dates.
(partial quote only - see the link above for more info.)

Useful Link for Canadian stations:
Digital Television (DTV) Transition Schedule
post #261 of 297 (permalink) Old 2017-10-16, 01:11 PM
Veteran

WVTT applied to move to WGRZ tower

WVTT transitioning to rf 11 wants to use the top of WGRZ tower with 2kw Omni.This would improve their signal compared to their current site

post #262 of 297 (permalink) Old 2017-10-16, 03:14 PM
Veteran

That would certainly make it available here in the GTA
post #263 of 297 (permalink) Old 2017-10-16, 07:25 PM
Veteran

I have never seen any sign of the existing signal...
Per the predictions on Rabbitears.info, I should be...
So at least it sounds like they are trying to cover something...

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #264 of 297 (permalink) Old 2017-10-19, 10:18 AM
Veteran

WGRZ's signal on 33 is at Full Bars 24/7 for me and I'm way northeast of Toronto. WVTT's new coverage area if approved is only slightly less than WGRZ's.
post #265 of 297 (permalink) Old 2017-10-19, 11:06 AM

WVTT's schedule is mostly YouToo network junk like infomercials and Paula Deen cooking shows before she admitted being a racist...

YouToo is available online for free - I get it as part of the CMTV OTT package with my Channel Master OTA box.
post #266 of 297 (permalink) Old 2017-10-19, 09:07 PM
Veteran

Forget about the schedule today...
My earlier incomplete comment was more along the lines of, if the station is truly making an effort to try and cover something, they might also have plans to offer something worth watching. They obviously don't care today given the programming, and the fact it has never been seen here in Buffalo.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #267 of 297 (permalink) Old 2017-10-20, 05:32 PM

I've never seen WVTT, even during strong tropo. 2kW on RF 11 may allow it to drift my way on a regular basis...

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #268 of 297 (permalink) Old 2017-10-21, 08:45 AM

The last 2 years WVTT was a regular visitor, first few times I got it they ran NOTHING but The Beverly Hillbillies public domain video complete with commercials from that era, including ones for defunct tobacco companies. How they expected to make money running commercial free tv was a mystery!

Last year mid summer they changed and became a THIS TV affiliate but I believe they shut down or had technical problems over the winter as I haven't seen them once since last winter. They run it similar to WLEP, which goes down frequently showing a screen saying "No signal" then they shut the transmitter off. WLEP is back but I'm pretty certain WVTT is off the air right now.
post #269 of 297 (permalink) Old 2017-10-21, 10:48 AM
Veteran

Maybe once they get a better all around signal, they'll provide better programming. It's the height of the antenna which will make the difference, not so much the 2KW ERP.
post #270 of 297 (permalink) Old 2017-11-03, 05:00 PM
Veteran

WNYO & WUTV Repack

So now WNYO on RF 16 has applied to move transmitter to WUTV site with 575kw directional.Also WUTV wants a power increase to 1000kw directional.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.