Here comes the UHF Channel "Repack" for OTA - Page 17 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #241 of 319 (permalink) Old 2017-06-10, 10:02 PM
Veteran

Global

No Global from CN tower is moving to RF 17.Global Paris is moving to RF 23.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 319 (permalink) Old 2017-06-29, 05:48 PM
Veteran

Here's an interesting video. While it's from the U.S., it could also apply here.

TV Stations Moving in 2018 Could Impact 70 Million Viewers

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #243 of 319 (permalink) Old 2017-06-29, 10:53 PM

With the move of CJMT in London to channel 19 and the move of WKYC Cleveland to 19, (from RabbitEars) this should prove interesting for those of us on the north shore of Lake Erie.

Honestly, I don't know who makes these hair brained decisions.

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778

Last edited by Jase88; 2017-07-10 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Corrected station ID

post #244 of 319 (permalink) Old 2017-07-09, 07:22 PM
Rookie

Deletion of TV Channels 38 and above by FCC?

I was inform that on this past April of 2017 the FCC is considering on deleting in the near future TV channels from 38 and above. If this is a fact, will more sub-channel be allocated to the present ones.

Forgive my ignorance but I do not understand what all this means. What do we lose besides the frequencies already allocated for channels 38 and above. How many may numbers of TV channels will actually be deleted by the FCC.

Will we have to design and make new antennas, what antennas design we are using now have to be remodel or remake?

Thank you for any answers or remarks on this subject.
post #245 of 319 (permalink) Old 2017-07-09, 09:44 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Will we have to design and make new antennas, what antennas design we are using now have to be remodel or remake?
Current antennas will still work. However, going forward, new designs can be made more efficient, as they won't have to cover as much of a frequency range.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #246 of 319 (permalink) Old 2017-07-10, 10:41 AM
Veteran

Buffalo Repack

So far WNED and WKBW have applications for their new RF channels.Both will require new transmit antennas at top of their towers.Massive amount of tower work to accomplish repack.

post #247 of 319 (permalink) Old 2017-07-10, 03:21 PM
Veteran

Buffalo repack

WNYO has to replace their antenna too.Slight directional pattern same as now.Whats new is interference to Globals new Toronto signal and CHCH signal.Fort Erie Canada.

post #248 of 319 (permalink) Old 2017-07-10, 06:39 PM
Veteran

Red face Buffalo Repack WUTV

Wutv has applied to return to top of their tower where analog 29 antenna is and install new rf 36 antenna.This will give them a 30 metre height increase.They will have to reduce power to 455kw to compensate.More height is always better.

post #249 of 319 (permalink) Old 2017-07-11, 05:31 AM
Veteran

I'm working on Re-Optimized UHF Antenna Designs...but I don't expect very much "improvement"....so far I see only about 1 dB higher Gain in Re-Optimized FF4 [Free Form 4-Bay with Double Angle Reflector].

Once Upon A Time, each 6 MHz NTSC Analog Channel could carry just ONE, Blurry, Low-Rez Program. NOW, ATSC 1.0 Digital Channels can carry ONE or TWO HD Programs [720p or 1080i] and likely some additional SD (low-rez) Programs....or Alterrnatively a BUNCH of SD Only Programs. So TV Broadcaster's no longer "NEEDED" as many Channels to carry the SAME Number of...or indeed MORE Programs.

An additional complication....more or less concurrently with Ch38-51 going away in 2020, MANY Stations are expected to start Broadcasting the new ATSC 3.0 Waveform, which supports "4K" and "8K" Ultra Definition Programs as well as lower Rez Waveforms designed for Mobile/Handheld Devices while Walking/Sitting or Driving or Riding in Trains/Busses/VanPools/Rear-Seats. There is only MINOR improvement in Data Rate for same SNR or Coverage. Since ADDITIONAL TV Channels are NOT available, Cooperating Stations are planning to SHARE Co-Existing ATSC 1.0 and 3.0 Transmitters on two different Channels....NOT necessarily carrying the SAME Programs, esp. since ATSC 3.0 will initially be concentrating on building a new Base of MOBILE Viewers to be inundated with ADVERTS....and various other new "Bells and Whistles" features.

Antenna Simulations, Overload Calculations, etc: http://imageevent.com/holl_ands
post #250 of 319 (permalink) Old 2017-07-11, 02:47 PM
Veteran

That's in the USA, of course. The only plans I've heard from Canadian broadcasters are to go keep the status quo or dark. The CRTC is against channel sharing by existing stations but that may change.
post #251 of 319 (permalink) Old 2017-07-11, 05:40 PM
Veteran

PS: Forgot to mention.....due to shortage of available channels, SOME stations are choosing to move to Hi-VHF....and in rare cases Lo-VHF assignments....and when the Low Power TV (LPTV) and Repeater Stations finally get THEIR assignments (they were NOT allowed into the recent Auction), we may see even MORE Hi/Lo-VHF Channel Assignments. Hence, SOME people may want to upgrade their Antenna System to add Hi-VHF and/or Lo-VHF coverage.

Antenna Simulations, Overload Calculations, etc: http://imageevent.com/holl_ands
post #252 of 319 (permalink) Old 2017-07-12, 09:44 AM
Veteran

I'm sure WBXZ and WDTB which are both unprotected LPTV stations will have to move to LO-VHF.
post #253 of 319 (permalink) Old 2017-07-12, 08:15 PM
Veteran

thenewdc, I would not count on that...
Here are several other scenarios I can think of which can play out for LPTV stations across the country...

1. FCC notifies an LPTV station that they have to move. Assumption here is the FCC deems some other station will experience unacceptable interference by whatever the criteria they use.
a.) upon notification they can have the FCC find them a new channel with acceptable interference levels.
b.) Or upon notification they can mitigate predicted interference on their existing channel, by making changes to technical parameters.. Such as reducing Power, Reducing antenna height, changing antenna patterns, or changing physical location altogether to another location (up to 30 Miles). Basically any combination of above that reduces the interference to an acceptable level.
c) They can also choose a new channel on their own without the FCC's assistance. As long as they can "show their work", proving
it won't cause unacceptable interference.

2. FCC Never notifies them, which would imply there is no risk of unacceptable interference. In which case they would do nothing and remain where they are.

There are probably more options, those are just some things that come to mind.
The key here is that unlike Full Power and Class A stations, LPTV stations are under no obligation to replicate their existing coverage.
They can pretty much do whatever they want (or can afford) within the regulations, they may even choose to accept interference from some other full power stations as long as it doesn't harm a Full Power or Class station.

Side note... I have not seen or heard of a list of displaced LPTV stations yet, has anyone else?

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #254 of 319 (permalink) Old 2017-07-12, 11:40 PM
Veteran

I think the point being made is that if you look at TV fool reports in Fort Erie Canada area you will see that WBXZ signal is same strength strength as the Toronto stations therefore Globals protected new RF channel 17 will be interfered with .WDTB will surely clash with CTV 2 from Font Hill .Something will need to done

post #255 of 319 (permalink) Old 2017-07-13, 05:26 AM
Veteran

Not necessarily... The FCC doesn't use TVfool.
The population of Metro Toronto will far outweigh any population near Fort Erie, so percentage wise in comparison to the whole, Fort Erie would not even exist..
Kinda like the difference between any other Major city in NYS, and NYC.

For the same reason, in the same areas any interference from Hamilton 15 and Buffalo 15 is deemed perfectly acceptable by both sides.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.