Tablo For OTA DVR Streaming - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-07-30, 12:25 AM

Like to mention that some Tablo hobbyists have put together a Plex app. I don't particularly need it, as I run Rokus, but it seemed to be fine on my PS3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-08-13, 10:38 AM

Well, I did purchase the 4 tuner Tablo as well as a Roku 3.

Overall, I'm very happy with it. The Tablo itself is pure awesomeness. The iPAD app is great, the Google Chrome interface is great, and the Roku interface is functional (but needs a lot of work on the usability end).

Tablo seems to acknowledge all the shortcomings and promises updates to everything soon, so I am quite satisfied at this point. The best thing is probably just selecting the shows you want to record and never having to worry about when they actually air!

One thing is for sure, my CM7000PAL served me well for 4 years or so, but I'll never be touching another CM DVR!
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-08-13, 04:09 PM
Rookie

Question about the Tablo - when I'm air playing to an Apple device can I still be using the iPad UI to be seeing what else is on or do I have to stop air play to do that? I like the "channel surfing" experience where I have something up on the screen but am looking around to see what else I may want to be watching. Is there anyway to do that with Tablo?

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-09-23, 03:11 PM
DHC Supporter

Scanning Additional Channels

I would like to ask Tablo users when you rescan or want to add channels with Tablo do existing channels get erased or stay.
I have two antennas pointing in opposite directions controlled by an A/B switch so I don't want to lose existing channels when switching antennas to rescan.
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-09-26, 12:30 AM
Veteran

Yes the existing channels are lost when doing a rescan. It starts fresh each time.
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-09-26, 01:14 AM
DHC Supporter

That is too bad.
Thanks for the response North_of_Calgary.
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-09-26, 09:04 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_Calgary View Post
Yes the existing channels are lost when doing a rescan. It starts fresh each time.
Not actually surprising as you would have to remember to throw the switch before each recording. Also, what if it wants to record two programs off of separate antennas at the same time? Kind of defeats the set it leave it benefit of a DVR.

A better solution would be to allow you to use two Tablos (one for each antenna) and have the software integrate them together to seem like one. Even better would be if they could share hard drives.
rcooke likes this.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 2015-02-19, 02:57 PM

I purchased the 4 tuner Tablo as well as a Roku 3.
I have a problem, sometime for channel 6.1(Global) the signal is too strong, the Tablo can't tune it even if the signal is green. When looking at that channel directly on my Panasonic tv I have an 100% signal.
Is there a way to lower the signal for that channel only, since if I bring all the channel down I will probably loose 65.1(City-tv). City-tv signal is orange on the Tablo and only 45% on the tv.
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 2015-02-19, 11:00 PM

You could try turning you antenna more towards Herbert's Corners and away from Camp Fortune (assuming you're in Ottawa) to reduce the strength of Global. Failing that, you could try putting an attenuator in your line (like a two-way splitter to lose 3.5 dB of signal) and see whether 65.1 is still there.

Do you use a pre-amp? If you do, then swapping that for a lower-gain model may work.
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 2015-03-22, 04:21 PM

Multiple antenna question

A quick question for tablo users. Has anybody hooked a pair of these up to different antennas. I have had a pair of HD homeruns hooked up like this for a few years, and I would like to migrate over to a pair of the two tuner taplos if I can do this. The key is whether they can operate like one unit or will they be two discrete units
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 2015-05-14, 11:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassicjockey View Post
A quick question for tablo users. Has anybody hooked a pair of these up to different antennas. I have had a pair of HD homeruns hooked up like this for a few years, and I would like to migrate over to a pair of the two tuner taplos if I can do this. The key is whether they can operate like one unit or will they be two discrete units
They support having multiple units on the same account. Even in different locations. So having a pair on two different antennas shouldn't be a problem. When you connect (using the browser or an app) you need to pick which unit you want to connect to so to answer your question: "discrete units".

Overall my Tablo works remarkably well. PQ is excellent. Interface with cover art is excellent for making recordings and browsing recordings. New Roku app is pretty slick.

Downsides:
  • When I purchased they didn't indicate it was in USD so I felt really duped by that.
  • The Roku app doesn't support "Tablo Connect" (which is the ability to connect to it remotely).
  • Can't pick up US OTA signals in Calgary!
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 2017-04-13, 06:41 PM
Veteran

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I'm thinking of getting a Tablo and had quite a q few questions. Most of these have already been answered by reading this thread, but of course there are more. I'm in Kanata so the number of English channels is a bit limited with a small indoor antenna. CTV, City, Global, CBC is pretty much it. Or at least that's pretty much it for channels I'd care to schedule recordings. Seems a little overkill to pay for guide data subscription. Is it still $50/year?

How well does it manage over wifi? If the Tablo is up in the attic and connects to the home LAN via wifi, and then I try streaming to the ChromeCast connected to my TV, am I going to be very disappointed? Or should I do everything in my power to co-locate the Tablo with the router and connect it directly?

I don't have a Roku or AppleTV, and I was thinking of getting an Adroid TV box. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Final question. Two years later, is the Tablo still the best OTA PVR device?
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 2017-04-13, 06:48 PM

Tablo has a Kodi app officially written and maintained by Nuvyyo (which I run on an Android T95Z box). Tablo is OK via wifi but quite a few users prefer to wire it to the router (buffering problems in the past). Chromecast with Tablo has been problematic for the past two years and is not highly recommended (probably will be disappointed). $5 per month subscription, $50 per year (I bought the lifetime one for $150). Without guide data cannot record!

Tablo is a great DVR for recording and whole house (multiple device) distribution. Not so good for channel surfing (slow) due to time delay for MP4 re-encoding. Have had a Tablo for 2 years (luv it) but don't use it for live viewing except for iPad and iPhone (use TV instead - much faster changing channels).

Last edited by CraigRoyce; 2017-04-13 at 07:11 PM.
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 2017-04-17, 09:19 AM
Veteran

Thanks for the info. In the new place we intend to finish the basement, which likely means placing the wifi router on the main floor, so that's where the Tablo would have to go, as well. In the current house a paperclip upstairs picks up all the Camp Fortune channels, but downstairs I struggle picking up CJOH. The new place will be about 7 miles further away from Camp Fortune so I might have to put the antenna in the attic, which means having to run cable down to the main floor where the Tablo would be situated. Oh, well.
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 2017-04-17, 12:27 PM

I recently looked into Tablo, as I'm interested in replacing my aging Channel Master DVR.

My concerns, that I believe haven't been resolved, are the lack of a "watch pointer"; essentially the DVR doesn't keep track of how much of a recording that you've watched. When you go to resume viewing, it will start from the beginning. This is basic DVR functionality...the first DVR's on the market over a decade ago had it.

The other issue is the lack of Dolby digital sound support. Unless there has been a recent change, Tablo only passes two channel stereo.

These issues may have been resolved with a software update...and if any Tablo owners could comment, I would appreciate it. Though I believe that Tablo is mostly focusing their software update efforts on expanding compatibility with more platforms, rather than functionality updates.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.