Tablo For OTA DVR Streaming - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-05-01, 08:09 AM

I picked up a Tablo to try out, got it yesterday. I'll let you guys know what i think once i get it all setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-05-02, 01:04 AM
DHC Supporter

Looking forward to your review. If you got the dual tuner model I'd be very interested as how the tuners display on the tv. ie, can you watch them side by side as well as swap.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-05-17, 03:23 AM

Found a thread on the tablo forum. Someone did a thorough review on the Ipad, webui and roku interfaces for tablo.

http://community.tablotv.com/discuss...m-a-sagetv-guy

post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-05-24, 01:58 PM

tablo 4 tuners van be pre-order

The Tablo 4 tuners can be pre-order and I ordered mine last night.

Unit should be delivered mid june
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-06-18, 09:44 PM

Tablo 4 tuners

I received my Tablo 4 tuners today

setup is very easy easy as they say:
connect ethernet, usb drive, antenna.
connect power after.

install aps for your device (Android, Apple) or web base apps for your laptop.
en on for some time)
the follow instruction.

Everything went fine up to that point.

That was the good part, now the bad side.

The guide does not populate (it's be on for some time)

I bought a Roku 3 specially for this device as it was suppose to be the best streaming device for Tablo.

the apps made my Roku to reboot on the first 2 attempt, then it simply goes out of the application.

My wife is not very patient with stuff like that, I am lucky that I received it in summer, if we where in winter, the unit would have been on its way back already.

I know it just came out, but it is unusable on my TV right now, and I mainly watch TV... on TV
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-06-19, 07:28 AM

OK everything is fine now.
This morning it was still the same, I did a reboot of the unit and that did not help.
but when I verified an hour later on my laptop the Tablo app told me to update my firmware ( do not know why it took so long).

fater the firmare update, I could go on my Roku and go to live TV, it would stay in the app, but tell me that there where no channel (even if I could see them on my tablet, laptop), I did a rescan and then I had one channel on my Roku.

In fact I could only see one channel because the Roku will show you channel that has already populate the TV guide, soI waited a bit and everything was there

I am a happy camper now

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2014-06-19 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Please don't quote the post above yours.
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-07-03, 12:08 AM

Have the Tablo 4 Tuner. Works as advertised. I run it through my Roku 3's. The interface is clunky on the Roku, but it does the trick.

The one issue that I did have had nothing to do with Tablo or the firmware. Wrong channel attributes. Fixed in a week.

The tuners are far more sensitive than those in my TV or HTPC. The delay is minimal when streaming live to the Roku.

I haven't set up my streaming "on the go", but the setup is pretty straight forward. I'll probably give it a shot in the next couple of days.

This box is well worth your time.

The only con, if you can call it that, is that it doesn't interface with a NAS or media server.
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-07-11, 10:03 AM

Tablo For OTA DVR Streaming

Picked up a Tablo three days ago and beginning to enjoy it a bit.

Here are the issues up front I have noticed:

When broadcasting on my Chromecast, the skip-forward-backward motions are extremely slow. The screen will take a good 10-15 seconds to resume which almost makes skipping commercials as slow as if I was watching them. When watching the show on my tablet the skip forward buttons are quick and responsive.

The application is also very unstable at times. Here are some of the issues I have noticed to date:

1) You can’t navigate too fast or it will crash. I’ve had to restart my tablet a few times for things to settle down.
2) For some reason, there are many shows where I cannot select the record all option. The button simply does not work.
3) When selecting shows to record, if you select a show from a previous season, it brings you back to the most recent season, every time.
4) I have changed my recording resolution three times to ‘standard’ and it keeps reverting back to 720p

Here are some much needed improvements:

1) Being able to resume a show at the same spot where you left it
2) Faster Skip forward functionality for the Chromecast
3) Displaying length of recording in the show description, before you launch it.
4) When displaying shows by channel, if the show also plays on a French channel, the episodes will be displayed on the English channel as well. It would be nice if we could apply recording constraints by show name, channel, new only.
6) Unable to skip backwards pause and skip forward on live tv. Is this a bug?

Here are my specs:
- New Modem (150 mps WIFI) with a 12 megabytes/sec bandwidth
- 1 terabyte western digital HD
- Two chromecast sticks
- Lenovo 1.2 ghz 4 cores, 1 GB ram video, 7 inch tablet

With these issues, I still will not be able to convince my wife and kids to abandon Bell TV.

Last edited by stampeder; 2014-07-11 at 03:18 PM. Reason: later comment appended to this one
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-07-23, 10:47 AM

Thinking about trying one of these.

My main concern is my viewing experience on my HDTV.

I have a MAC mini I could hook up for this purpose, or maybe I'd consider buying an Apple TV. I have WDTV, but it doesn't seem to be supported. I have a PS3, but it doesn't seem to be supported.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of good information on your options for watching the recordings on your television in your living room.

My issue is this: using an iPAD to set up recordings, start playback etc., is ok, but when I'm watching a show I don't want to have to grab a tablet every time I want to pause, or skip a commercial, etc. Does the Mac Mini or Apple tv remote offer this functionality, or are you literally stuck watching your HDTV with a tablet on your lap?
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-07-23, 11:29 AM

The whole philosophy behind the Tablo is that you watch OTA TV on your tablet, not your TV. I had a long conversation with a VP of the company making these when he made a presentation to the DHC OTA members group in Ottawa last November, and I wanted to know why there wasn't an HDMI port on the box.

I pointed out that most people, IMHO, liked to watch TV on a big screen. He was of the opinion that that is no longer the case, and the majority of younger people prefer to watch TV on a mobile device: that was their thinking behind not including an HDMI port on the Tablo.
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-07-23, 12:44 PM

Interesting.

Well, I spend my whole day messing with computers, tablets, and phones while I'm working and part of what relaxes me at night is watching television and NOT having to deal with those things. So....
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-07-23, 10:34 PM
Veteran

I watch mine on my HDTV exclusively. But the key to making that work is the Rokus which I had already.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-07-24, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmerpy View Post
Does the Mac Mini or Apple tv remote offer this functionality, or are you literally stuck watching your HDTV with a tablet on your lap?
This may or may not help you.

http://www.tablotv.com/blog/tablo-pl...-lotta-awesome

Last edited by stampeder; 2014-07-24 at 05:39 AM.
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-07-25, 07:09 PM
Veteran

The Mac Mini would work because you can just view through the Chrome browser.

The Roku works and if the Tablo and Roku are hardwired (ethernet, not wifi) then it's smokin fast and the PQ is fantastic. But the Roku interface is pretty rudimentary - it looks like a version 1 app. Issues like: doesn't resume where you last left off; doesn't show the liveTV program grid, just a list of live shows etc; doesn't show frame previews when fast forwarding or rewinding.

I think they mentioned on their support forum that they are hiring a Roku developer but who knows how long it will take for them to actually get a better version of the app out the door. However it looks like a lot of their customers are using the Roku so I'm sure they'll touch it up eventually.

Bottom line is that watching on a big screen TV through the Roku works just fine. PQ is excellent but the interface isn't fancy.
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-07-28, 12:58 PM
Veteran

It actually gives a really excellent PQ on the big screen TV via the Chromecast and AppleTV too. Just cast from the Chrome web browser for the former.

The downside is the controls. It spends time buffering and hence it's not as easy to find a precise point in playback as a normal PVR is. But if you put on a show and then just let it roll then it's not that bad.

So whether you use the Chromecast, ATV or the Roku, the big screen PQ is excellent. But the apps/control are rudimentary.

This device has a lot of potential. They just need to work out some of the year-1 bugs and make the apps more sophisticated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.