Attic Antenna Installations - Tips, Tricks & Examples - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Question Attic antenna and Aluminum/Metal Roof?

I have a pair of stacked CM4221 antennas in my attic which are doing a good job of bringing in the Toronto and Buffalo ATSC stations.

Our roof, which appears to be two layers of asphalt shingles, didn't make it through the winter and we're looking at alternatives. One of those alternatives is a longer-lasting aluminum roof. However, I expect that this would cause some issues for my attic antenna and I have been informed by my wife that under no circumstances will there be an antenna on our roof.

I just wanted to double-check with the collective wisdom here... is my assumption regarding an aluminum roof interfering with my antenna correct?

Thanks,
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 11:20 AM

Yep. That will most likely completely kill your signals. Strip down the two layers of shingles and start fresh with one layer. You could see a small improvement in signal, and your wife will get what she wants too...no outside antenna.

Or you could just say, "that's fine honey, but I don't want any of my hard earned cash going towards a bottomless pit of cable/sat bills. So if you can devise a plan, even take on a second job to pay for it, then I will pay for an aluminum roof. Otherwise, if you want the roof, and still want the joy of cable/sat free bills, then we have to compromise in some way."

Yeah...it did look good typing it, but in reality...

You could also compromise, and not put the antennas on the roof, but on a j-arm off the side of the house that extends above the roof line. Or strapped to a chimney. Maybe run those options by her.

Mayhem Creations-"The Art Of Emotional Creation"
sites.google.com/site/maycreates/Home -for viewing all my DIY projects
post #3 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 11:41 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Yep an aluminum roof will act like part of a Faraday cage and really mess up your attic reception. Also if you have aluminum siding it will effectively complete the cage. Even modern insulation that has foil backing is proving to be tough on reception for the same reason.
post #4 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Oh, we've had the chimney conversation as well as some ideas I had to hide the antenna. No dice.

This will make the decision for us - asphalt it is.
post #5 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 02:30 PM
Member #1

Hey think of all the money you will save.
post #6 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Exactly! Until the next asphalt roof blows off in a wind storm anyways. ;-)
post #7 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 02:55 PM
HWP

Your dilemma is that you saved so much money on satellite and cable bills that you can now afford an aluminium roof. Tell your wife that if you get an asphalt roof, you will save money on your TV and roof --- your next car can be a Cadillac instead of a Chevy.

OTA, HD7697P, CM7778, Rotator, CM3218, TiVo, HDHomeRun
Apple TV, Netflix, Teksavvy, Unblock-us, Wind, MagicJack
post #8 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 06:23 PM
Veteran

We stripped an re-roofed my Bro-in law's new home last fall (well, new to him).
Because it has many tricky hips & valleys he bought 40 year asphalt shingles, instead of the usual 30 year. A lot more $$ per bundle than ur typical 30 year architectural shingle, and a helluva lot heavier, but well worth it, since
we wanted to make sure that's the last roof he ever puts on...Looks real nice too

SBGH rotor chimney mount FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd Sammy pctuner hdhomerun mythtv
post #9 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 07:21 PM
Corporate Supporter

Maybe my metal roof is reflecting more signal up to my tower antennas

60' Delhi tower,91XG,Y13-10,DB8,Tin Lee Traps,CM9521A,CM7777,CM7000,Winegard RC-1010 & HDA200,Samsung 32 LCD,2 WTV950Q

Twinntech supports Digital Home
post #10 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 07:35 PM
Veteran

That and creating some multipath to ur neighbors, lol

SBGH rotor chimney mount FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd Sammy pctuner hdhomerun mythtv
post #11 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 08:10 PM
Veteran

Here’s what I always say… Antenna’s belong on the roof where they work the best. If the wife complains then put her on the roof too.
post #12 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-04-19, 12:17 AM

Metal roofs and antennas don't go well together, even if the antenna is outside, mounted on the roof. If you go on the Wineguard antenna web site, you will see a warning against installation like this.

Any attic installation with shingles will reduce signal by 50% and metal sheet roofs by 90%. Installed inside, the antenna will be shielded while installed outside too close to the roof, it will create severe multipath to the reception.

Good evening
post #13 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-08-22, 01:41 PM

This is one reason why I would not want a metal roof. It is too bad though because we have one on our cottage and has been amazing with no issues at all. Guess if I was to place an antenna there it would be on a tower which would hopefully not interfere with the signals...
post #14 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-01-31, 11:09 AM
Veteran

Attic Antenna Installations - Tips, Tricks & Examples

To share and discuss Antennas specifically set up in the ATTIC.

Antennas specifically put in the ATTIC or designed for the ATTIC - DIY do it yourself or manufactured antennas.

To share and discuss Tips and Tricks for setting up antennas specifically in the ATTIC.

Last edited by downbeat; 2012-02-01 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Removed other thread to which OP refers
post #15 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-01-31, 03:30 PM

Summary of Install:
I have a four antenna setup (antenna farm) in my attic. Two SBGH for UHF, and two Loop antenna for VHF. Each SBGH is paired with a VHF-Loop. Each pair is connected to a Channel Master 7777 preamp.
The outputs of each preamp flows down ~60' of coax to their respective power-inserters. The output of the inserters are combined through a Holland's splitter/combiner and directly coupled to the input of a Channel Master 3414 distribution amp.
Two of the distro-amps outputs go direct to a bedroom TV and my HTPC. The other two outputs are each split with Holland's splitters to another 3 TV's and my MediaPVR.

Best is to view my OTA page, along with diagram and channel reception here.

To others that want to install in the attic...it's not easy to find a hot-spot, but when/IF you do, then you're good, and can almost get just a good reception as anyone else. My advice is NOT have more than one layer of roofing shingles. You loose a lot of signal when going through the roof. Additional layer of shingles will not help in the least.

Make sure there are no other metal (duct work, etc) in the attic that can act as interference to your signal. Your fighting against building materials that can easily block signals...you need every bit of open space you can get.

I feel I'm living testament that an attic install can be very successful, rewarding experience.

Best of luck to others that are attempting it.

Mayhem Creations-"The Art Of Emotional Creation"
sites.google.com/site/maycreates/Home -for viewing all my DIY projects

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.