Antenna is DTV converter? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Antenna is DTV converter?

Hi, i have spent over 2 hours reading and reading and still can't figure this out. I have always used rabbit ears. I dont have a HD tv.

I read about the antenna FAQ but can,t understand. Do I need a digital to analogue converter too? It seems that all i need is an antenna a something called ASTC box..

Please help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 02:35 PM

Welcome to the over-the-air forums.

It sounds like you have an older TV without a digital tuner. You will need to buy a digital tuner box in order to receive digital over the air stations. These are generally affordable, and can be bought in many electronic stores. You may wish to check the "Where to buy OTA" forum for specific information on where to buy.

Your antenna can receive digital signals--but not decode them for your TV. The digital to analogue "converter" does this for you.

Further, you may wish to visit TVFool to get an idea of what channels are available in your area. I invite you to post your TVFool results in the appropriate reception results thread for your region.

Note that digital stations aren't as strong as most of their analog predecessors. Therefore, you may require an antenna with higher gain to capture all of the stations you received on analog.

I hope this helps.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

ah yes, thanks.

So basically i keep my antenna, get a converter and see if that works. But the reason i came on this forum was to get a list of great converters, all i did find was a review on antenna,s. That could be interesting if my converter does not work with my rabbit ears Happen to know of a list?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 02:51 PM

There are many different types of digital ATSC (the standard used for digital over-the-air TV in Canada/US) tuner devices. We don't maintain a list, but we do have many threads discussing each option in detail.

Generally, they're broken down to two types: Non-recording (both HD and non-HD), and recording.

In these threads, you'll find information on recording (PVR/DVR) tuners:

TiVO (subscription-based OTA DVR service)

Channel Master DVR and digital tuners

Other DVR recorders/Tuners

We also have a Home Theatre Personal Computer (HTPC) forum to discuss using your computer as a digital tuner/recorder.

Lots of options!

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok, Thank you!!

Last question, since i dont have a HD television, i am assuming that i have to have a ATSC non HD

Thanks a million
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 03:09 PM

You'd probably want to buy a non-HD box--something that converts the typical 16:9 HD picture to a 4:3 480i (standard definition) picture.

Don't worry about "future proofing" your tuner. New HD TV's include a digital tuner built-in.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 04:21 PM
Veteran

Unfortunately the selection of converter boxes available in Canada is terrible, and they're relatively expensive (I've yet to see one under $50).

Unless you have a large CRT TV, you might be better off looking for a deal on a new digital TV for not much more than the price of the box.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 04:28 PM
Veteran

^^^^
TigerDirect has one for $40.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.