Is there such a thing: PSIP Stripper/Remover - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-11-16, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Is there such a thing: PSIP Stripper/Remover

I basically want to remove/edit the PSIP from the stream before it reaches my TV, so stations come in on their RF station instead of their virtual channel (I am sure some TVs/converter boxes/software programs maybe have this option). So instead of typing in 7 and having it redirecting to 2 (in the case of WJBK), if I type in 7 it just stays on 7, leaving channel 2 open on my TV.

I got this idea from a damaged piece of a coax cable that I had running to my Samsung LN-T3242H that I have recently replaced. When I had that piece of coax attached to the splitter, WMYD which broadcasts on RF 21 and PSIP remaps to 20 would come in only on channel 21. I would also lose the guide information but the call letters would always come in.

Why would I want to do this? For scanning in more channels of course. Unless I do a full scan, I can't do a quick scan to see if there is a channel coming on on channel 2 or channel 20...

CM4228, CM4220HD, Samsung LNT3242H, AccessHD DTA1080D, RCA DTA800, CM7775, Samsung DTB-H260F, Samsung LN40B750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-11-16, 07:30 PM

You'd need an ATSC capture card and modulator for each frequency you want to modify. Capture cards can be had for pretty cheap, but modulators are pricy (I have a PCI single port ATSC modulator that was > $1700).

I picked up a KWorld SA290-Q (DVI edition) from Newegg the other day for $60 + shipping and it has the option to perform a manual scan on a single channel -- if you can find one, a much cheaper solution
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-11-16, 08:41 PM

I suspect that creating such a "mechanism" (for lack of a better term) would likely cause more issues than it would solve for you.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-11-17, 09:52 PM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
This kinda sounds like a "ATSC TV DX-Hound Mode" for outboard tuners / TV's that would serve a niche market.

This theoretical device could have:

1) two tuners
2) inset window that would display tuned channel, second tuner status etc.
3) ignore PSIP auto channel assign
4) ignore auto memory store
5) have option for second tuner to scan and flag channels where unexpected activity occurs, ignoring normally stored channels based on physical channel numbers
6) tune physical channels ignoring stored memory
7) revert to normal behavour when required.

This is a start....

Now, someone go and design one... I'm sure you'll have some DX hounds out there that could use one.... :-)

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-11-20, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebowgm View Post
...So instead of typing in 7 and having it redirecting to 2 (in the case of WJBK), if I type in 7 it just stays on 7, leaving channel 2 open on my TV...
If you know which RF channel you want to check, try using the number followed by -0. So for RF channel 2, you would try 2-0. This seems to work with Samsung TV sets.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-11-20, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

On my set, that just goes to the analog station, which of course is useless...

CM4228, CM4220HD, Samsung LNT3242H, AccessHD DTA1080D, RCA DTA800, CM7775, Samsung DTB-H260F, Samsung LN40B750
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-11-21, 12:08 AM

You are correct - my comment was wrong. I used the -0 when I wanted to get the analog version of a signal before the analog shutdown.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-11-21, 07:00 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I got this idea from a damaged piece of a coax cable
The original problem led you to fixing something on your end.
So your feature request might lead to you overlooking future problems on your end.

You have way more control of a PC based tuner if your willing to put in some effort
setting it up, Open Source televisions aren't likely to be found in our near future.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.