DHC OTA Members Meet: Kanata and Area - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-09-27, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

DHC OTA Members Meet: Kanata and Area

Greetings everyone,

Would anyone be interested in having a get-together some time? Something like a wing-night in a bar type of thing. We could draw pictures on a napkin and explain how things work, share our stories, etc.

~Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-09-27, 08:08 AM

sounds like a good idea mike. I suggest Jack Astors cuz they give you crayons and paper.
post #3 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-09-27, 08:50 AM

Sure, but I think it would need some kind of focus - like a short presentation on a topic of local interest to trigger a discussion.

post #4 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Meeting

How about these objectives:

- vhf vs uhf, traditional antennas, relate to current antennas
- balun what is it
- what is impedance, where does this come into play, what should I do with it
- amplifiers do they help
- height, towers, clearance
- directional vs omnidirectional antennas. One fits all, or use multiple.

I have a rough understanding about these points, but not enough to hold a speech about it. I can help ensure that certain objectives are met, and I can keep a conversation going by asking interesting questions.

Venue. If most are far west of Ottawa, I suggest the Ashton pub. Otherwise something in Kanata. My toddler has offered to lend me his easel, paper, and white board. Problem is noise. I can't imagine a presentation like setting in a bar. Any ideas?
post #5 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Mike View Post
Venue. If most are far west of Ottawa, I suggest the Ashton pub. Otherwise something in Kanata. My toddler has offered to lend me his easel, paper, and white board. Problem is noise. I can't imagine a presentation like setting in a bar. Any ideas?
Alternative: I am about 3 km south of Ashton. We could meet here for discussions, then migrate to the Ashton pub afterwards. Friday Sep 30 would be good, because my wife is out...

I have several example antennae folks could see (daylight/weather permitting), as well as a couple tuner cards, pre-amps, and other discussion props .
post #6 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Ashtonp, that's totally awesome! Little short notice though, weather could be dicy, but I think I'm allowed out then.
post #7 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 05:02 PM

I'm afraid I couldn't make that. If you can schedule something in a week or two there may be more people able to come.
post #8 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 08:45 PM

Yes, when I posted my suggestion for Friday, I realized it was short notice. Also, I suspect that many folks will be checking Google Maps to figure out just how far away Ashton is... (I'm 20 minutes from Centrum; maybe 15 from Stittsville.)

Anyways, another date that works for me would be Thurs, Oct 13, but we'd have to wind down by 9:30 for sure.

Or, if another location/time turns out to be better for folks, I'll try to come too, but it woud be without the discussion "props" I mentioned...

Last edited by ashtonp; 2011-09-28 at 08:49 PM. Reason: added info about distance
post #9 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 07:54 AM

I'm interested too and this Fri doesn't work for me either. As long as I get 1 week notice I should be good for most dates.
post #10 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 02:24 PM

OK, so let's take this Friday off the table since it was clearly too short notice, and try to work out a suitable time and location.
post #11 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 03:21 PM

Ashtonp,

I would like to take you up on the offer to see your gear, but I think it would be cutting it fine to finish by 9:30pm (I couldn't be there much before 7:30pm). Can you propose another date when you you would have more time? Mondays and Tuesdays are usually out for me.
post #12 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-10-03, 03:15 PM

Too bad this idea seems to be on it's way to getting left behind. I can't help buy think that if it had remained in it's original thread for even just seven days it could have had the visibility to gather momentum.

But to get it it running I think we should take baby steps. Pick a time and place that at least three of us could commit and go from there. No structure, no presentation. It's a bar so a meet and greet is more than enough.
post #13 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-10-03, 03:28 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
I am interested if I can find the time.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #14 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-10-04, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

I've been dropping in daily here. The internet is great and everything, but local contacts are few and far between. A small gathering of locals where everyone shares a common interest is really neat.

I'm hoping the Ashtonp visit + Ashton pub will materialize. Excellent pub btw. Feels like an authentic local effort and not like a factory cookie cutter franchise clone IMO.

A link to here from the original thread could help people find this thread. End of day, if we end up with 4 to 6 people that'd be excellent.
post #15 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-10-04, 08:31 AM

As an example, I was a member of a car club that met the first Wed. of every month at a brasserie. Monday thru wed. are quiet nights in most venues and the owner can sometimes be very accomodating to regulars.
Sometimes I would arrive early and eat sometimes not. The evening ran usually from 6:30 to 9:00. When I began attending there were 7-10 of us. The club now boasts about 30+ regular attendees.
My point is rather than try and accomodate everyone now, pick a date, meet and go from there.

One thing that just occured to me is that a WiFi connection would be useful in resolving debates.

BTW does Ashton Pub have Newcastle on tap?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.