DHC OTA Members Meet: Kanata and Area - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 320 (permalink) Old 2011-12-02, 11:44 AM
Veteran

continuing from last post ...

And we see it on some antenna products now - where the antenna driven elements (ex dipole, or loop ends of some sort) terminate right onto a PCB - Printed Circuit Board - where the pre-amp circuitry is.

But Gerry, your pre-amp is a very low noise type - and probably much better than the ones in the average antenna / pre-amp combo out there.

Plus your pre-amp, that I saw, is very very small, and you actually mounted it inside what looked like a short piece of AL square tube. (size?)

That AL square tube you used as an enclosure, looks alot like material used for antenna booms - like for long yagi antennas.

So I imagine an antenna, with one of your pre-amps actually mounted inside the boom of the antenna (!) With short leads from the antenna driven element (ex. yagi dipole) entering the sides or bottom of the boom through 2 small holes, grommets or insulators around the conductors, straight to the pre-amp.

And the F-connector output comes out a hole at the bottom of the boom, a little further back.

(alternately, your pre-amp just attaches below the boom, in a suitable sheilded enclosure like you have - and the dipole ends connect straight to it somehow. I've seen antennas designed with a plastic box enclosure right near the driven element - except usually that is just a connection box or matching network inside there.)

Care must be taken to maintain a "MATCH", same characteristic impeadance, all the way along, right to the input of the pre-amp device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 320 (permalink) Old 2011-12-03, 12:29 PM

MrVanW-

The size of the preamp box is 1.5 inches by 1.5 inches by 2.5 inches.

Check this out it is worth the read:

http://www.lu1dma.com.ar/g4cqm/powabeam/index.htm

I know my preamp works best between 50 ohms and 75 ohms. One thing I fogrot which is really important is that signals do not travel at the speed of light down pieces of coax the way they do in the air. In fact a lot of coax has a Vf of 67% - that's two thirds the speed of light. Really important to remember.

They say the ChannelMaster balun has anywhere between 0.6 to 1.6 dB insertion loss across UHF. But this is again only theory and if the terminating impedance on either side is slightly off then these numbers will change. So Im thinking maybe build a 50 ohm antenna and not worry about baluns at all, like the guy in the link. I like the way he decides to use a ferrite shield at the end compared to what we did the other night by looping the coax around a few times to create a common mode choke balancer (ie to get from 75 ohm balanced to 75 ohm unbalanced.)
post #63 of 320 (permalink) Old 2011-12-04, 07:22 AM

Exclamation

mrvanwinkles, I don't believe Global Ottawa uses circular polarization. According to rabbitears.info on this page, the antenna uses horizontal polarization.

And all: It looks like the meetings have generated lots of interesting topics of discussion. I'd ask that the discussion topics be kept to a high level here in this thread. Detailed discussions should be taken to the appropriate individual threads.

Thanks in advance, and keep us posted on the progress of these meetings!

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR

post #64 of 320 (permalink) Old 2011-12-05, 10:30 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
rabbitears.info is incorrect. According to Application number CRTC 2010-0953-0 the broadcast antenna is circularly polarized.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #65 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-01-03, 01:28 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
As an offshoot to the Meet, I was wondering if people would be interested in arranging group purchases from the US, especially now that OTA Canada no longer has a storefront operation. This would be not-for-profit with only costs charged among those who order.

PM me with your e-mail address if you are interested.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #66 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-03-22, 03:16 PM
Rookie

I'd be interested. As a further inquiry, would anyone be interested in having an antenna build party? Full disclosure, as a noob I would have very little to offer other than manpower, but I'd be willing to organize if there were enough resources to go around among the interested parties (space, tools, know-how). We could potentially wrap that into the group buy. Any interest? Many hands make light work? Fin-clones all around?
post #67 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-03-22, 04:30 PM
Rookie

Hi roger1818 and Generacy,

Im another one in the Ottawa area that would be interested in any group purchasing and maybe even a build meet up. I would specifically be looking to get my hands on a VHF-Lo antenna for the infamous Ch6 in Ottawa.

Fox
post #68 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-03-22, 05:16 PM

Here's where you can buy in Ottawa:
OTA: Ontario Parts, Sales, Service, Installers

Srvr:ASUSF1A75-VPro,RadHD6000,A6-3670K,WD2TB,W7Ult
NPVR,5.1,2xHaup2250MC,ATI650,CM7777,WGHD8800,5clts
post #69 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-03-22, 05:50 PM
Rookie

Hi OTAJuncqui,

Thanks for the link, but the search for a VHF-lo antenna locally hasnt panned out for me. The ex-carlingwood retailer is gone, FTATronix only has very large UHF/VHF combos, and Im already good for UHF. The homemade folded dipole into my CM7777 is close to getting enough signal, but not close enough to be reliable.

Any other suggestions on where I could get ahold of something like a Y5-2-6 or Winegard YA 6260 would be welcome, but so far I havent been able to find anything along those lines.

Fox
post #70 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-03-22, 06:03 PM
Veteran

Off thread, but OTACanada may not have a storefront location, but I gather they are still in business. Also, if you look in that thread, I posted a link to another local online retailer that has free delivery within Ottawa, but they may not have what you are looking for.

post #71 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-03-23, 09:35 AM
Veteran

Yes, interested in group purchases, and also in a possible group build.

I have some useful smaller hand tools that might help out a few individuals.
(small tube cutter, small tube bender, files, clamps, etc etc.)
(connector tools - for doing cable ends etc.)

I'd have to know a few weeks in advance in order to bring those useful tools up to Ottawa with me. They are mostly kept in Kingston.

I'd also have to know what individuals are wanting to do ... that way I'd have an idea what types of tools would be useful.

Space / location might be the problem.

I personally do not have a place / or space where this event could properly be held.

In any case - even if a build event does not happen ... just another meet up at a restaurant - I would be interested to attend even just that.

All the best.
post #72 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-03-23, 11:53 AM
Veteran

^^^I agree. Another meet up at a restaurant would be good. Doesn't have to be as formal as the last one. We could just get together, introduce ourselves and discuss amongst ourselves.

post #73 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-03-23, 02:19 PM

Yes, it's about time we met again!

How do people who came to the last one feel about that location? (Royal Oak, Kanata). Anyone like to suggest an alternative with suitable seating for a dozen or so together?

Which evening suits people most? Current baby-sitting commitments?
post #74 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-03-23, 02:43 PM
Veteran

I thought the Royal Oak was great, although I am sure some may want it a bit further east to make it easier for those coming from that side of town (the Cock n' Bull in Bells Corners might be another option).

Thursdays are still bad for me. Tuesdays I am busy until about 8:00 or 8:30 but free after that. Sunday, Monday and Wednesday evenings are usually wide open (the entire week of April 16th is bad for me though).

post #75 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-03-27, 09:32 AM
Veteran

The room at the back of the Royal Oak was fine with me as well.

I was quite OK with that . I liked the spot. Personally I could get there fine.

But I have a car, so it's pretty easy for me to get out to Kanata.
And during my Ottawa work week (mon - fri now) I stay at a place that is in the west end of Ottawa.

However ... others may not have access to a personal vehicle so easily, to get out to Kanata, maybe on evening hours, when not so many buses run.
( and may be coming from furthur away ... like the East end )

So ... * if * we need to consider finding a different location ...

The only idea I have is to try and find a spot near one of the major transit hubs, a little closer in to Ottawa ... if we need to accomodate anyone like that.

I am thinking of, possibly, the College Square Area.
Baseline Rd and Woodroffe Av area.

That is like the end of the Transitway in the West end.
Baseline Transit Station Area. (near Algonquin College / Woodroffe, main campus)

"College Square" is like that big Retail area SE corner of Baseline and Woodroffe.
Big parking lot in the center. A couple restaurants. But not sure if any of those restaurants have any "separate room" like the Royal Oak in Kanata ... or would be willing to "accomodate" a group meeting like the one we would like to have.

[ Anything possible at Algonquin College, Woodroffe/main campus itself ? Weekday evening? ]

I'm OK and quite happy to stick with the Royal Oak in Kanata, back room.

But I just thought to mention an idea like that ...
[ Near a major transit stop, somewhere near the transitway, where parking is easily available for those who do drive. A little closer in to Ottawa. A place where we could have a separate room - similar to the Royal Oak, Kanata ]

I am best Monday - Thursday Evenings. Not too late.

Friday - NO - not great - usually gone by then anyway.

Saturday or Sunday - usually not possible for me.

I'm usually gone / travel out of Ottawa on weekends.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.