DHC OTA Members Meet: Kanata and Area - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-11-02, 01:57 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
That might actually work for me (will have to confirm closer to the date) and if anyone wants a workout first, they can come to my 6:00pm spinning class at the March Rd GoodLife (only a couple blocks away).

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-11-02, 02:21 PM

Roger, I almost worded the notice "Tuesday (so that the Thursday-evening babysitters could attend), 22nd November..."
post #33 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-11-04, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Hi Nigel,

I was just about to respond to both you and Ken, and then propose a meeting date and venue.
Your proposed date of Nov 22nd works fine with me.
The Kanata pub with a backroom suitable for a projector I think is excellent.

I can help set an agenda of topics we could address. I'll have to look at my notes to see what those topics were, but from memory, I thought it would be useful to ensure there is a clear understanding how it all works, with things like impedance, snr, antenna variations, and all those extras like pre-amps, splitters, combiners (when using multiple antennas, or combine with satellite/cable), baluns (what is it, actually), lightning protection (all that outdoor metal connected to a tv being a little concerning...). So, a bit of theory and the rest on practical applications.
I have some ideas on how to visualize Signal-to-Noise vs signal strength, and transport (cabling), which I'd like to turn into a few screens, suitable for display on the projector. It would be interesting if others could contribute their antenna and setup pictures, and/or contribute images showing anything of related interest. Ken showed some interesting images at the last meeting, showing things like the channel layouts with their corresponding frequencies and how the channels are designated and how things evolved and changed. Another really interesting screen showed the relation between the frequency of a channel, strength, and how well it carries over the air. Those type of screenshots are very educational. I'd like to collect the various images people think they could contribute, and compile them into a slideshow.

We have a few weeks to define a clear agenda. I'll try to propose and formalize a set of topics. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Depending on the amount of material and topics, we might have to split this up over multiple meetings.

I'm very much looking forward to see the kind of presence we had at the previous meeting. Again, I think collectively we know an awful lot, which I think was quite evident last time.

ps. how do we know that everyone will read this? Where am I posting right now? I thought this was some sort of unlisted private thread linked to from a message buried on page x somewhere.

~Mike

post #34 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-11-04, 09:15 AM

123Mike,

Please check your private mail!
post #35 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-11-04, 05:41 PM

Darn, I am out of town on the 22nd
post #36 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-11-05, 04:15 PM

I'm in Carleton U Tuesday but should be at the pub by 8 pm. Hopefully my brain won't be mush ....

[HVR 950Q, HVR 1600, WinTV 7, CM 4228HD x2 (one modded to dual 300 ohm feeds), CM 4221HD, GerryB 1.1 Amp/KitzTech Amp]
post #37 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-11-05, 08:23 PM
Rookie

Sounds good. I should be able to make it. See you all then!
post #38 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-11-09, 09:42 AM
Rookie

Thumbs up

I'll be there as well, i am evaluating switching to OTA at this point.
post #39 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-11-14, 06:35 AM
Veteran

RE: Second DHC OTA Members Meet: Kanata and Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXer
Tuesday 22nd November at the Royal Oak, 329 March Road in Kanata, starting at 7:30

Great event, sounds really interesting.

I would like to attend. I think I should be able to attend that evening.

I think I know the place / location from once ... long time ago.

I'm shacked up in a friend's place on the west side of Ottawa during my work week in Ottawa ... so it's not that far for me to go.

Thanks, hope to see you all there.
post #40 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-11-18, 11:11 AM
Rookie

Location: Kanata-(N-Beaverbrook) - a Stealth Hawk gets all local channels
RE: Second DHC OTA Members Meet: Kanata and Area

Sounds good, a very short walk for me.

My TV Fool Report is the same as the pub's... but in reality it is closer to the pending digital report rather than the current one due to the database issues.
post #41 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-11-19, 11:08 PM
Veteran

I plan to attend.
post #42 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-11-20, 10:54 PM
Rookie

I may attend. I am thinking of switching from cable to an indoor antenna and will be looking for advice on where and what to buy.
post #43 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-11-21, 10:22 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
(will have to confirm closer to the date)
Received my wife's blessing so I will be there.

Quote:
and if anyone wants a workout first, they can come to my 6:00pm spinning class at the March Rd GoodLife (only a couple blocks away).
Haven't heard back from anyone on this. Does no one want to work up a sweat?

Not a GoodLife member? Not a problem; I can get you in for free (call it a perk for being a DHC member). Just let me know in advance.

(sorry about the blatant, self-serving plug )

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #44 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-11-21, 10:04 PM

Im coming too
post #45 of 316 (permalink) Old 2011-11-22, 01:46 PM
Rookie

Looking forward to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.