US: 94 of Top 100 Viewed Programs Are Available OTA - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-06-21, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Cool US: 94 of Top 100 Viewed Programs Are Available OTA

Stampeder,
Not sure if this deserves it's own thread or not, so feel free to move to where appropriate.

Are from Broadcast networks. Full article here.
http://www.tvb.org/measurement/4747/244909

Moral of the story I think is apparently u may not be missing much
if ya chose to cancel Cable or satellite.

I was looking for something similar for canada and wasnt having much luck
googlin. Does Canada have something similar to the Nielsen ratings, or does the CRTC censor that information?

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-06-21, 09:15 PM
Corporate Supporter

Yup, I think we all kinda new that didn’t we? I do not watch any of the top 10.

60' Delhi tower,91XG,Y13-10,DB8,Tin Lee Traps,CM9521A,CM7777,CM7000,Winegard RC-1010 & HDA200,Samsung 32 LCD,2 WTV950Q

Twinntech supports Digital Home
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-06-21, 10:07 PM
Member #1

BBM.ca for Canadian ratings

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-06-21, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

thx Hugh,

In the US ratings, I haven't even heard of 3 in the top 10, much less ever watched. I have to move down to to the 10 to 20 ranges to find something I never heard of in the Canadian version, for the same week. Do they count the cable only channels in the Canadian version?

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 12:51 AM

If every one, including those that subscribe to cable and satellite take a serious look at all the prograns that they are watching, they would notice that most of these programs are coming from the major networks.

If you add the US networks to our own, it is possible to watch almost everything that is top rated. One example of this is the Daily Show and The Colbert Report that are cable programming in the US but broadcasted on OTA over here in Canada. So, unless someone is glued 24 Hrs a day on the tube, OTA is the best way to go.

Nice evening.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 06:45 AM

The ONLY ONE of the top 100 I have seen even a little of is The Office 'cos it is now on City-TV just before the weekend 6pm news and sometimes the TV is turned on a few minutes early.

I went to BBM.ca and looked at their top 30 in Canada. I have not watched any of them. My first thought after I saw the list, was why do we bother with Canadian content regulation as there doesn't seem to be any apart from hockey.

FWIW I was brought up with just two channels of BBc and one commercial TV channel. I guess that warped my mind.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 12:38 PM

Where are the HBO shows? Some of them should definitely be on that list based on the number of viewers/share they get..
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 12:43 PM

@tczernec, I presume this footnote excludes HBO-type channels:
Quote:
Ad-Supported Subscription television only
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 01:24 PM

I find it interesting that the US ratings exclude services like HBO, Showtime and all other non-commercial specialty networks. I could not find anything about PBS when I searched on the site. The ratings are compiled for companies and agencies placing advertising so the exclusion of non-commercial television is not a surprise but it means that the ratings may not accurately reflect actual program viewing. Pay networks like HBO and Showtime have developed excellent series and carry sports programming that is not included in the ratings.

The most recent Canadian ratings for June 6 to 12 are completely dominated by NHL hockey so the week is a distortion of regular viewing patterns. CBC carries the most Canadian shows so the hockey coverage displaced them and moved CBC's focus to hockey and away from drama. I looked at mid February to get away from hockey playoffs and found the first show that I regularly watch was number 15, CTV News. I only watch 5 of the 30 shows on a more or less regular basis. Rick Mercer was the only Canadian show other than news.

I don't think that top ratings is the appropriate yardstick for measuring a household's demand for cable and satellite television. News, business, sport and movie services all have major followings because of the total program content on the channel rather than the ratings of an individual show. Canadians watch hockey that is only available OTA on Saturday but the rest of the week is full of games on TSN, Sportsnet, etc. There are channels aimed at all demographics and interest groups which don't have top 100 shows but do have loyal followings.

The top rated shows are not the determining factor for taking a BDU service in most households rather it is access to specialized programming that caters to the tastes of the people who live there.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
I find it interesting that the US ratings exclude services like HBO, Showtime and all other non-commercial specialty networks.
I don't. The whole purpose for ratings is for the advertisers to decide how much they're willing to pay broadcasters to advertise on their network.
If they don't sell advertisement, there's no point in including the non-advertising subscription services.

Honestly though, they are so watered down / repetitive these days, I don't think it'd make any difference whatsoever. It's not like 20 or 30 years ago when HBO was a "must have". If there were only ONE HBO and not 1/2 a dozen or more, it might be different. I don't think I've watched a complete show, movie or program on HBO in twenty years, 'cause by the time a real movie hits those networks, it's been stale for at least 6 months. If there's a Canadian HBO, maybe it's better like it used to be here 20 years ago?? I dunno. All I know is the one down here is bad.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 08:30 PM
Corporate Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
BBM.ca for Canadian ratings
aparently this site is members only. You need a code from station manager?

60' Delhi tower,91XG,Y13-10,DB8,Tin Lee Traps,CM9521A,CM7777,CM7000,Winegard RC-1010 & HDA200,Samsung 32 LCD,2 WTV950Q

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I don't think so, maybe for more advanced features? You can download a .PDf for each week, going back X amount of weeks in the current season
by clickin on the left hand side "weekly top 30 TV programs"

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 08:51 PM
Corporate Supporter

You are correct MT got it now.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 09:19 PM
Corporate Supporter

Apparently 94% the top 30 Canadian shows are not Canadian.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 09:26 PM

HBO and their ilk aren't really for movies IME, they're for the excellent original series!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.